Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Finally saw 'Friday Night Lights'. Not bad, don't wnat to give too much away, but I liked the focus on the outcome of the final game.  It was good to see a sports film focus on that side of it. So many of them are fomulaic and you see the outcome coming a mile away.

I still need to see that movie.

I read the book over xmas break, liked it alot.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the documentary, The Weather Underground. It's about the revolutionary movements of the 60s and 70s (SDS, the Weathermen and the Black Panthers). It was really interesting and had a lot of footage I'd never seen of Vietnam, police riots, etc. Definitely a good documentary and very thought-provoking especially if you're into political/social history....

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Watched Hero for like the 5th time tonight and it's still awesome and sits 4th on my all-time favorites list.

10/10

http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=20998&ce=y

I agree....i think there were a few dragging parts....but it was an overall good movie. I watched in theatres....can't find myself to buy it though....don't really have "foreign" movies in my collection....but there may be room for it one day.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I agree....i think there were a few dragging parts....but it was an overall good movie.  I watched in theatres....can't find myself to buy it though....don't really have "foreign" movies in my collection....but there may be room for it one day.

Awesome avatar! I can't wait for Sin City and I wished they had shown Michael Madsen in the trailer.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Awesome avatar! I can't wait for Sin City and I wished they had shown Michael Madsen in the trailer.

Yeah....I'm a big Bruce Willis fan....Sin City and Hostage are must sees for me in the next couple months. :headbang

I saw that a while back, I thought it was OK. It felt like they were plugging the soundtrack more than the content of the film. IMO.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
...am I in the right place to recommend Run Lola Run?

Just saw it for the first time this weekend and loved it.  Brilliant.

Just watched Tell Me Something, a South Korean murder mystery about a killer who cuts up bodies mixes them up and then puts them in garbage bags and drops them off around the city for them to be discovered. Sound fun? It was really cool but I don't think it's very scary and certainly not as scary as say... Se7en. But then again I was much younger when I saw Se7en. Nonetheless Tell Me Something is an absolute must see for Asian horror fans. It also, whether intentional or not, leaves a lot up for interpretation and if you don't like movies that are somewhat confusing don't see it.

http://www.nifty.com/kal/

That's an asian site but you can find the trailer there.

7/10 :headbang

Well well well I have watched another movie today and I have found the documentary that should have got the most media attention in 2004, and it's not Super Size Me or Farenheit 9/11 it's Control Room.

Plot

"A chronicle which provides a rare window into the international perception of the Iraq War, courtesy of Al Jazeera, the Arab world's most popular news outlet. Roundly criticized by Cabinet members and Pentagon officials for reporting with a pro-Iraqi bias, and strongly condemned for frequently airing civilian causalities as well as footage of American POWs, the station has revealed (and continues to show the world) everything about the Iraq War that the Bush administration did not want it to see."

---courtesy imdb.com

As this plot suggests the film is to an extent anti-Bush but not in the way Michael Moore is. This film takes the opinions of a group of people (3 main characters) and shows them to the audience, and lets the viewer decide what to make of them. Unfortunately 2 of the 3 are employees of Al Jazeera and therefore the film is not perfectly balanced but nonethless the opinions are not forced upon the viewer.

This is a must see for anyone interested in what's going on with the Iraq war and sheds some light on some of the very interesting events of the early goings on in Iraq.

If anyone has seen this what do they think about the section dedicated to the toppling of the Saddam statue?

9/10

http://www.controlroommovie.com/site/01.html

trailer is on official site

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I'm sorry, but Al Jazeera cannot be taken seriously by anyone with half a lick of common sense.

Why do you think that? They are obviously to an extent anti-American, but to an extent people in that region are as well. How is that much different from Fox News?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
Why do you think that?  They are obviously to an extent anti-American, but to an extent people in that region are as well.  How is that much different from Fox News?

To an extent? That's like saying Terrell Owens is conceited, to an extent.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I'm sorry, but Al Jazeera cannot be taken seriously by anyone with half a lick of common sense.

C'mon Yas.. that toy soldier abducton was peeerrrttee clever.. ;)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
LMAO.  Only problem with that is that Al Jazeera wasn't the culprit on that.  It was on a website.

Pfftt... I think they have their nasty hands in all bad that happens over there.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Al Jazerra is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Islamic terrorists across the middle east.

And Fox News is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the extreme right to push their quasi-fascist, imperialist, un-Constitutional agenda down America's throats in the name of newscasting.

Alright back to talking about movies.

I saw an awesome film tonight called Amores Perros or in English 'Love's a b****'. Amores Perros is nearly perfect filmmaking from Alejandro González Iñárritu (21 Grams). Garcia Gael instantly becomes one of my favorite actors and this is the only film I've seen with him. I definitely have to see Motorcycle Diaries and 21 Grams now. If you haven't seen this movie, what's stopping you. Get out there and see it. 9/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/

trailer

http://images.hollywood.com/images/quickti...moresperros.mov