Films

LosMediasBlancas

I saw Million Dollar Baby tonight and must say it's a damn good movie. A lot better than Mystic River which I was kind of disappointed in last year. I still have to say I liked Sideways more. I'd rank the 3 I've seen that are up for best picture like this...

1.)Sideways

2.)Million Dollar Baby

3.)Finding Neverland

I still have to see The Aviator and hopefully Ray before the Oscars.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say this about Sideways, when I saw Garden State at the flicks about 2 months ago, one of the previews I saw was for Sideways, and from what I saw from that, it just didn't look like a good movie. Now with all the props it's getting, and the ad's which for some reason are just much better than the preview, it's making me want to go see this movie.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Check it out and let us know.

OK.. I saw it. I didn't dislike it per se. I had no idea it was so low budget though.

One thing that bothered me was that Swank seemed to have that Brandon Tina voice going on. Nails on a chalkboard for me. And is it just me.. or does Clint's voice keep getting worse and worse..? I don't think it was Oscar work for her either. I'll probably see it again on DVD, and I didn't consider it a waste of $$. But I was not overly impressed with it.

I agree that none of the individual performances are Oscar worthy, but as a whole, I really enjoyed the film.

Clint is getting up there in years, so yeah the voice is definately going fast.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
OK.. I saw it. I didn't dislike it per se.  I had no idea it was so low budget though.

One thing that bothered me was that Swank seemed to have that Brandon Tina voice going on. Nails on a chalkboard for me. And is it just me.. or does Clint's voice keep getting worse and worse..? I don't think it was Oscar work for her either. I'll probably see it again on DVD, and I didn't consider it a waste of $$. But I was not overly impressed with it.

'Amores Perros' is very good and the soundrack is pretty kick ass as well. I recommend 'Motorcycle Diaries', but then again, I'm a fan of Che Guevara, so maybe I'm biased. Garcia is also in 'Y tu Mama tambien' and his last film is 'La Mala Educacion', by Pedro Almodovar, not sure if you know him, he's a Spanish director who has done a few things with Penelope Cruz. I respect Garcia a lot, he won't sell out and make the big Hollywood type of film.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
Alright back to talking about movies. 

I saw an awesome film tonight called Amores Perros or in English 'Love's a b****'.  Amores Perros is nearly perfect filmmaking from Alejandro González Iñárritu (21 Grams). Garcia Gael instantly becomes one of my favorite actors and this is the only film I've seen with him. I definitely have to see Motorcycle Diaries and 21 Grams now. If you haven't seen this movie, what's stopping you. Get out there and see it.    9/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245712/

trailer

http://images.hollywood.com/images/quickti...moresperros.mov

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
The most anticipated sequel of the millenium!!!! :o

Jurassic Park 4

Now...everyone from the previous JP's are involved...the cast and so is Speilberg.  This might actually work....but I'm betting it won't.... :huh

um, wow. will probably try to check it out on vid but not much enthusiasm for it...

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
um, wow. will probably try to check it out on vid but not much enthusiasm for it...

how about die hard 4, Indiana Jones 4, Rocky sequel, Rambo sequel, or Pirates of the Carribean sequels....or the many others.... :chair

Rented "Pauly Shore Is Dead", for some reason. I remember hearing about it about 2 or 3 years ago and it finally came out on DVD. It's ok. Lots of cameos, and I do means lots of cameos and that is really the only interesting part. I'm talking from Sean Penn to Todd Bridges.

Premise is Pauly Shore fakes his death to hopefully go down as a comic genius instead of a has been. Lots of inside jokes and it is pretty funny to see Pauly and other has beens making fun of themselves.

Can't really recommend it, but it is only an hour and 20 minutes so it was overall harmless.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Rented "Pauly Shore Is Dead", for some reason. I remember hearing about it about 2 or 3 years ago and it finally came out on DVD. It's ok. Lots of cameos, and I do means lots of cameos and that is really the only interesting part. I'm talking from Sean Penn to Todd Bridges.

Premise is Pauly Shore fakes his death to hopefully go down as a comic genius instead of a has been. Lots of inside jokes and it is pretty funny to see Pauly and other has beens making fun of themselves.

Can't really recommend it, but it is only an hour and 20 minutes so it was overall harmless.

I saw that at the video store....i didn't know what the hell to think of it. I just thought it was a movie with no names....and then Pauly Shore is the one with a cameo. :huh

(1,000th post yahoo :headbang :headbang )

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
I saw that at the video store....i didn't know what the hell to think of it.  I just thought it was a movie with no names....and then Pauly Shore is the one with a cameo. :huh

(1,000th post yahoo :headbang  :headbang )

Pauly Shore plays himself as do a bunch of other people.

Check em out

I watched Closer today, and definitely enjoyed it, I can see why Owen and Portman are both up for Oscars and are the favorites after seeing them in this. One of the better movies I've seen in the past few years.

Went and saw Hotel Rwanda tonight with my parents :ph34r: and wow was it ever powerful. I had very limited knowledge of the Rwandan genocide and this film really opened my eyes. Nearly 1 million were killed in these events and no one came to their aid, except for a limited number of UN peace keepers. Surprisingly, one of the main characters in the movie was Colonel Oliver a Canadian UN soldier played by Nick Nolte modeled in part on Romeo Dollaire, a Canadian hero :canada. Anyways the star of this movie was Don Cheadle, his career's obvious piece de resistance as the factually based heroic Hotel manager who saved the lives of many. Also starring is the wife of Cheadle's character played by Sophie Okonedo who is actually Oscar nominated for her beautifully played role. Also starring in smaller surprise roles were Jean Reno and Joaquin Phoenix.

Anyways this is obviously a great film which everyone should see. Especially those of us who don't believe people of black skin are treated differently than those who have white skin.

9/10 (Loses a point perhaps temporarily for being a bit confusing as to the different groups in Rwanda ie Hutus, Tootsis, and Interahamwe. Could have gone a little deeper with the history aspect of the incident.)

:headbang :headbang

:headbang

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 5, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Watched The Grudge and AVP tonight.. Jason.. I think it was you that told me AVP was great.. and it was. I was glued to the tv. The Grudge, IMO, sucked.

Ya, Nuke brought it up and I agreed with him on AVP.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
Watched The Grudge and AVP tonight.. Jason.. I think it was you that told me AVP was great.. and it was. I was glued to the tv. The Grudge, IMO, sucked.

I'm going to go against this trend here and say I liked The Grudge more than AvP. In my opinion AvP was generic crap whereas The Grudge is only a step in turning the Ju-On franchise into total crap and therefore being superior. :D

I actually didn't think The Grudge was much worse than any of the Asian versions, but for whatever reasons it seems like most people did. :huh

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
I'm going to go against this trend here and say I liked The Grudge more than AvP.  In my opinion AvP was generic crap whereas The Grudge is only a step in turning the Ju-On franchise into total crap and therefore being superior. :D

I actually didn't think The Grudge was much worse than any of the Asian versions, but for whatever reasons it seems like most people did. :huh

AVP at least had a plot. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be bulls*** trying to tie 2 outer space lifeforms to earthlings.. but I thought the way they did it was very clever. The fighting was the same old, same old.. but there was really nothing they could do about that. I really liked how the Preditor was "human like" also. The Grudge.. no plot, no explination, no conclusion, IMO. I was struggling to stay awake and I absolutely love horror, scary, sci-fi movies like that. I was very disappointed with it. I am totally looking forward to The Boogyman. That looks like a kick ass movie..

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I'm going to go against this trend here and say I liked The Grudge more than AvP.  In my opinion AvP was generic crap whereas The Grudge is only a step in turning the Ju-On franchise into total crap and therefore being superior. :D

I thought both were pretty bad. :ph34r:

I'm tired of the horror re-treads that have been made the past few years. All seem like the same thing to me.

I rented "Ray", "Cellular", and finally "Anchorman". Haven't watched em yet though. Don't even know why I rented em cuz I think there is a football game I will probably watch today.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
Ya, Nuke brought it up and I agreed with him on AVP.

Yeah and I got laughed at.

:D

I guess we all have different tastes in movies.

I just saw Shaun of the Dead the other day and it was........ok. It had its moments like that scene in the back yard where the 2 dudes are flinging records at the 2 zombies and debating which records are expendable. :D

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I thought both were pretty bad.  :ph34r:

I'm tired of the horror re-treads that have been made the past few years. All seem like the same thing to me.

I rented "Ray", "Cellular", and finally "Anchorman". Haven't watched em yet though. Don't even know why I rented em cuz I think there is a football game I will probably watch today.

We bought Ray and we saw Cellular already.. Even though Bassinger overacted a bit, I loved it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
We bought Ray and we saw Cellular already.. Even though Bassinger overacted a bit, I loved it.

Maybe everyone else underacted. :P

I just watched Cellular and it was very entertaining. Fast paced and about 90 minutes.