Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'King Kong' C+, not bad considering Jack Black is in it. Am I the only one who thinks that special effects in general are actually getting worse, or not better or not any more realistic??

'Munich' B-, I'd heard that this film was a flop, I couldn't tell.

'Brokeback Mountain" A-, don't knock it til you've seen it. This might be the sleeper come Oscar time.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Try the favourite come Oscar time.

I thought the acting was real good. Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar Nomination and so does Michelle Williams. With that being said it was a B- Movie. I really like Ang Lee however I thought this was one of his worst films he made. It was a decent movie just not great.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:55 AM)
I thought the acting was real good.  Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar Nomination and so does Michelle Williams.  With that being said it was a B- Movie.  I really like Ang Lee however I thought this was one of his worst films he made.  It was a decent movie just not great.

Well your opinion means nothing since the overwhelming opinion is that it is excellent. It will win... and win big.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
Well your opinion means nothing since the overwhelming opinion is that it is excellent. It will win... and win big.

no it won't. King Kong or Crash will win. It will be nominated though. Ledger will be nominated but will probably lose to Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow. Michelle Williams has a great chance for Best Supporting Actress.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
no it won't.  King Kong or Crash will win.  It will be nominated though.  Ledger will be nominated but will probably lose to Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow.  Michelle Williams has a great chance for Best Supporting Actress.

Bet you it wins two out of the top three.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
Bet you it wins two out of the top three.

Why bother. Those who matter in the voting have been crystal with their feelings on this movie.

Comprehension is a skill. ;)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 04:09 AM)
no it won't.  King Kong or Crash .......Hustle & Flow.  Michelle Williams has a great chance for Best Supporting Actress.

ahhh, more confident picks by WSJ, I cannot wait to see the Oscar thread. Although WSJ probably wont make much of an appearance after the Oscars are presented. (shhhhh, WSJ doesnt like to admit he is wrong)

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)
I thought the acting was real good.  Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar Nomination and so does Michelle Williams.  With that being said it was a B- Movie.  I really like Ang Lee however I thought this was one of his worst films he made.  It was a decent movie just not great.

SPOILER:

My only gripe with Mountain is once we realize that it was not a 1 time affair, we never really see what it is about each character that draws them to one another. What do they see in one another? What is the attraction that lasts so long? It's still an A- overall.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)

There was a time when the Academy stayed away from 'controversial' topics, that is slowly changing. It'll be interesting though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
There was a time when the Academy stayed away from 'controversial' topics, that is slowly changing.  It'll be interesting though.

Yes, the most controversial movie ever perhaps didn't do so well... guess who's coming to dinner.

I get your point though but things have changed.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
There was a time when the Academy stayed away from 'controversial' topics, that is slowly changing.  It'll be interesting though.

The Big Problem I have is that the Academy rarely nominates films that were released in January-June. That is a problem for films like Crash and Sin City. Both of those films had they been released in November or December would be big players for Best Picture and Mickey Rourke would have a great chance at Best Supporting Actor in Sin City. I still think that if Crash does get nominated it has a good chance of winning but that is a big if. Look at Kill Bill Vol.2. That was released in April. Had it been released in November or December I think it would've been nominated for Best Picture and David Carandine wouldn't of been robbed of a Best Supporting Actor nomination. Off topic but I still think Adam Sandler was robbed of an Oscar Nomination for Punch Drunk Love.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
The Big Problem I have is that the Academy rarely nominates films that were released in January-June.  That is a problem for films like Crash and Sin City.  Both of those films had they been released in November or December would be big players for Best Picture and Mickey Rourke would have a great chance at Best Supporting Actor in Sin City.  I still think that if Crash does get nominated it has a good chance of winning but that is a big if.  Look at Kill Bill Vol.2.  That was released in April.  Had it been released in November or December I think it would've been nominated for Best Picture and David Carandine wouldn't of been robbed of a Best Supporting Actor nomination.  Off topic but I still think Adam Sandler was robbed of an Oscar Nomination for Punch Drunk Love.

I'm starting to think you're on crack now too, hate to say it. Just because you think movies rock doesn't mean the academy will spend more than 2 seconds looking at them.

P.S. I hate Punch Drunk Love.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm starting to think you're on crack now too, hate to say it.  Just because you think movies rock doesn't mean the academy will spend more than 2 seconds looking at them.

P.S. I hate Punch Drunk Love.

Did you read the reviews for Sin City and Crash. Kill Bill vol.2 was a masterpiece. Crash will be looked at and be considered for Best Picture (lock for best supporting actor). Sin City will probably get some technical awards.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Did you read the reviews for Sin City and Crash.  Kill Bill vol.2 was a masterpiece.  Crash will be looked at and be considered for Best Picture (lock for best supporting actor).  Sin City will probably get some technical awards.

I think he means how you are always saying actors and actresses should be nominated for this and that just because you like their performance. They seem to get ''robbed'' alot to you.

You could always make up some awards show that everyone wins. Then everyone will be happy and the world will be perfect.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Did you read the reviews for Sin City and Crash.  Kill Bill vol.2 was a masterpiece.  Crash will be looked at and be considered for Best Picture (lock for best supporting actor).  Sin City will probably get some technical awards.

Sure I love all those movies and I think Crash is probably currently my second favorite move of all time but I'm trying to be a realist. Sin City was never going to get any kind of recognition at the Oscars for anything other than Special Effects, it just wasn't that good. Kill Bill was way too wacky for the Oscars and Crash's lack of recognition at the Globes probably illustrates its small potential at the Oscar's outside of its screenplay. However, perhaps it will and I hope it will get a Best Picture nod. I also strongly doubt it will get a supporting actor nomination, there were too many good performances, no one stands out above the others, I'm not sure why Dillon was nominated for an award. What did Dillon do better than Howard? Sorry for being hostile.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
Sure I love all those movies and I think Crash is probably currently my second favorite move of all time but I'm trying to be a realist.  Sin City was never going to get any kind of recognition at the Oscars for anything other than Special Effects, it just wasn't that good.  Kill Bill was way too wacky for the Oscars and Crash's lack of recognition at the Globes probably illustrates its small potential at the Oscar's outside of its screenplay.  However, perhaps it will and I hope it will get a Best Picture nod.  I also strongly doubt it will get a supporting actor nomination, there were too many good performances, no one stands out above the others, I'm not sure why Dillon was nominated for an award.  What did Dillon do better than Howard?  Sorry for being hostile.

I thought Howard was better than Dillon. The thing is though that Howard will probably get an oscar nomination for Hustle & Flow.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
I thought Howard was better than Dillon.  The thing is though that Howard will probably get an oscar nomination for Hustle & Flow.

:o Hustle & Flow and Sin City were both terrible IMO.