Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
I just finished "Bubba Ho-Tep" (2002).

It was a little slow at times but it was a good movie of an elderly Elvis and a black man who is JFK taking on a mummy attacking the rest home residents.

i......see...... :ph34r: :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Hey Apu, is Bubba Ho Tep worth netflixing?  Is it a comedy or one of those stupid/funny movies.

Well maybe it was just me but I think you'd really only enjoy this film fully if you are a fan of the horror movie genre and the Evil Dead series. If not there are still some funny parts but nothing that makes this more than an above average comedy. :unsure:

Elvis: "I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife Priscilla and bust it by jackin' off. Or I'd like to think that's what I'd do. Dreams let you think like that. Truth was, I hadn't had a hard-on in years." :chair

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Hey Apu, is Bubba Ho Tep worth netflixing?  Is it a comedy or one of those stupid/funny movies.

I liked it a lot. It was kinda the humor of Army of Darkness. It wasn't like a stupid funny movie -- definitely had a plot that way out there (soul sucking mummy at a Texas rest home that they need to stop) but it was pretty solid.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:20 AM)
Well maybe it was just me but I think you'd really only enjoy this film fully if you are a fan of the horror movie genre and the Evil Dead series.  If not there are still some funny parts but nothing that makes this more than an above average comedy. :unsure:

Elvis: "I was dreamin'. Dreamin' my dick was out and I was checkin' to see if that infected bump on the head of it had filled with pus again. If it had, I was gonna name it after my ex-wife Priscilla and bust it by jackin' off. Or I'd like to think that's what I'd do. Dreams let you think like that. Truth was, I hadn't had a hard-on in years."  :chair

Elvis: "Marilyn Monroe. How was she in the sack?

JFK: "That is classified information. But between you and me? WOW!"

:lol:

I think the entire 'comedy' genre in pop films has slipped a lot recently. We are SO desperate to laugh and find something funny that we over rate some medicore films just because there's nothing better being made.

Meet the Parents? so so

Something about Mary? so so

Old School? funny

Dodgeball? lame

Anchorman? sometimes witty, not too funny.

American Pie/American Pie 2/ American wedding, funny

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Wow, I agree with every description you gave to each movie. I was VERY disipointed in DodgeBall, but loved Old School. All the American Pies are kinda classics to me now to, I love them.

Agh, the American Pie movies (O.K., the first two, never saw the third) are pretty abysmal, IMO. But otherwise I more or less agree with all of the opinions there, and even where I do disagree, I understand why one might not like the certain movies. Something About Mary I enjoy, but it isn't worthy of the praise it gets, same with Old School and Dodgeball. Both are funny, but nowhere near the classic tag that they seem to get labeled with.

Now Kingpin, that is some damn funny s*** from the past 10 years.

Oh, and Bubba-Ho-Tep is a pretty good movie, but nowhere near as good as some of Joe R. Lansdale's other books. He is the guy who wrote the original short story, and it carries a bunch of standard Champion Joe stuff in it, but some of his other tales are soooo much better. I was actually disappointed to hear this was the first one of his to get filmed. But it is standard Joe-popcorn story. Popcorn in his case NOT being the thing you typically think of with a "Popcorn movie". When Joe eats popcorn, it causes him to have some VERY strange dreams, and they usually get turned into his most unique stories. Joe rules.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Agh, the American Pie movies (O.K., the first two, never saw the third) are pretty abysmal, IMO. But otherwise I more or less agree with all of the opinions there, and even where I do disagree, I understand why one might not like the certain movies. Something About Mary I enjoy, but it isn't worthy of the praise it gets, same with Old School and Dodgeball. Both are funny, but nowhere near the classic tag that they seem to get labeled with.

Now Kingpin, that is some damn funny s*** from the past 10 years.

Kingpin! :headbang I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

Ishmael: I am so sloshed!

Bowling Alley Owner: That's ginger ale.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
Elvis: "Marilyn Monroe. How was she in the sack?

JFK: "That is classified information. But between you and me? WOW!"

Haven’t seen that movie, but I am thinking about checking it out.

I'm not nearly as excited about the American Pie series as you are. I was rating them as they compare to one another. All the ones I listed are the best of what has been out recently, none are classics.

Now 'the Big Lebowski'.......that's funny.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Wow, I agree with every description you gave to each movie. I was VERY disipointed in DodgeBall, but loved Old School. All the American Pies are kinda classics to me now to, I love them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
I'm not nearly as excited about the American Pie series as you are. I was rating them as they compare to one another. All the ones I listed are the best of what has been out recently, none are classics.

Now 'the Big Lebowski'.......that's funny.

The Dude. That was a great movie. It is before my time somewhat, but I bought it on DVD and it's great.

I cannot believe some of you liked Anchorman. It was the worst movie I have seen in a long time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)

The 1st American Pie and American Wedding were both quite funny. 2nd one wasn't as good. First is a classic to me.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Kingpin!  :headbang I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

Ishmael: I am so sloshed!

Bowling Alley Owner: That's ginger ale.

Kingpin is great, god I love that movie. I finally saw it like a year ago and have watched it a few times since. Only gets funnier.