Killer steals unborn child from womb.

Steff

Not sure if this was posted already.. sad story indeed...

The shocking case of Lisa Montgomery, who killed pregnant Bobbie Jo Stinnet with the object of cutting open her womb and stealing the baby, has to be one of the saddest and oddest cases I've heard of in weeks.

It also has to be one that the defence attorney will use the insanity plea. Although there is ample proof of planning beforehand, and consciousness of guilt, its about the only option open to him/her. The fact that the alleged killer was pregnant earlier in the year and lost her baby, would appear to bolster that claim. With such mixed signals, the jury will have a tough time, or perhaps not. The insanity defence is a difficult call here in the US, many are unwilling to see someone "escape" with a plea of insanity, and to be safe, rather than give them psychiatric care, they get shunted off to jail.

Personally I can see both sides. She planned and carried out the attack, and covered up the crime in a basic way, which implies sanity, but the whole crime, along with the possible issues arising from having lost her own pregnancy, point to a level of insanity. Either way, as long as she is kept away from the public, I have no problem whichever way it goes.

Perhaps the most amazing aspect of this case, and the one ray of light, is that the baby is alive and well, and apparently unscathed by its traumatic birth. Full story here...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/19/m...etus/index.html

By the way.. an errie twist.. the murdered woman sold rat terriers via the internet - which is how the killer found her. I visited this woman's site when looking for our Abby (which is what the murderer named the baby :angry: ).

This is Bobbie Jo Stinnett's website where she sold her dogs.

http://www.happyhavenfarms.com/

It's (like that, Soxy?) odd to me that the federal case being brought against her is 'kidnapping resulting in murder,' rather than first degree pre-meditated murder and a kidnapping charge thrown on top of that. I guess it comes down to the motive being to get the baby, and the death of the mother being just an 'unfortunate side effect.' But it sure seems like the charge belittles the life and death of the mother and the absolute savagery that was committed.