Patriotic country artificially pushed up charts

southsider2k5

This stuff happens all the time. Its the way radio works. When I was working in Kansas, I got calls asking for the new Blink 182 song from dorks in Las Vegas. Its how Limp Bizkit got popular, that is when they weren't paying stations to spin the songs 30 times a week. Nothing particularly heinous about it, except for the exploitation of our military. But then again, the whole industry is about ruthless exploitation - so I guess its just par for the course.

Nothing particularly heinous about it, except for the exploitation of our military.

And that's a huge difference. And, above and beyond exploitation, this was a campaign to lie and impersonate military and their family. Aren't there laws against that?

It seems like this was just so much overkill. The same people could have done the same call campaign without lying about being military/family. They could talk about friends in the service, or more distant relatives, or don't even personalize it other than to say 'this song is meaningful to me and I think we should support the troops...'

All that aside, the DJ that called it a ''manipulative, smarmy, trivial song'' was exactly right. That's par for the course with that there 'hot young country' music scene though, ain't it. The album doesn't have legs unless there's an exploitative chickenhawk s***kicker anthem in there somewhere. :fyou