Alex Cora.

redandwhite

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cept i'd still rather have eckstein

Cora is a better fielder, can play both second base and shortstop better than Eckstein can, and will probably come cheaper. Plus since he's Joey Cora's brother, it's more conceivable that the Sox will sign him instead. He's got an excellent OBP too.

Cora is a better fielder, can play both second base and shortstop better than Eckstein can, and will probably come cheaper. Plus since he's Joey Cora's brother, it's more conceivable that the Sox will sign him instead. He's got an excellent OBP too.

I agree, however I'd love to have either, I think both would be a perfect fit to bat behind Spod. I have no problem having Willie in the lineup, however if either Cora or Eck could come cheap I'd love to have them because both can bat 2nd and move aaron down to 3rd or 6th, jmo.

also another lefty bat for our lineup.

Defensively, Cora and Uribe would be one of the best defensive 2B / SS combo's in the league. That's Ozzie's main priority when it comes to his infield, and one that I don't think he'll shy away from when making a recommendation of whether to sign Cora or Ecky. Also, Cora hitting numbers could increase from hitting at the Cell moving away from Los Angeles. He'd be a pretty good #2 hitter to have behind Podsednik, purely because of his OBP, and you could have Rowand hitting at #3, #5 or #6 in the lineup where he'd get more RBI oppurtunities.

Defensively, Cora and Uribe would be one of the best defensive 2B / SS combo's in the league. That's Ozzie's main priority when it comes to his infield, and one that I don't think he'll shy away from when making a recommendation of whether to sign Cora or Ecky. Also, Cora hitting numbers could increase from hitting at the Cell moving away from Los Angeles. He'd be a pretty good #2 hitter to have behind Podsednik, purely because of his OBP, and you could have Rowand hitting at #3, #5 or #6 in the lineup where he'd get more RBI oppurtunities.

And no speed. Also his OBP has a pattern of every other yr not breaking .300, this of course would be his other yr. He's a fine defender but not much if any upgrade over Willie in that department.

Given a choice between him and Eck, I'd go with Eck who also brings speed to the table but I'd wouldn't have a problem if we got him as our utility guy.

Btw, Cora hits lefties about as well as Willie.

And no speed. Also his OBP has a pattern of every other yr not breaking .300, this of course would be his other yr. He's a fine defender but not much if any upgrade over Willie in that department.

Given a choice between him and Eck, I'd go with Eck who also brings speed to the table but I'd wouldn't have a problem if we got him as our utility guy.

Btw, Cora hits lefties about as well as Willie.

Cora would improve the sox defense [as Uribe would stay at ss], Eck wouldn't [as he'd move Uribe to 2b]. The fact that Cora can play SS and 2b is huge, so Uribe can play 3b for Crede at times. Eck hasn't played 2b in years if at all in the majors. He's strictly a SS

The sox don't need Sb guys. Pods alone is fine, along w/ Rowand. They need guys who can run the bases and make contact for hit and runs. Guys like Cora and AJ don't strike out much [cora only 41 times in 405 ab's and AJ 27 times in 471 ab's]. I know Eck's offense is fine and would be ok there. But IMO, the middle defense is more important to what the sox plans are, and Cora would improve the sox in that dept.

Add in the fact that Eck has no ties to this org, and prob won't sign w/ the Sox, and Cora is a more likely addition

Any idea on what kinda money/years Cora would command?  I agree that it would be an awesome pick-up.

He made $1.3 mill in 2004. LA was worried he could get double that in ARB. So, something along the lines of $2.0 mill would be OK. The sox could make a higher 1 yr offer with an option for a 2nd yr, or go w/ a lower per yr figure and give a 2 yr deal.

Replace Willie with Cora and you're one pulled hammy or one twisted ankle away from being the slowest team in the league. That may be fine with you but not with me.

And what did Pods alone do for Milwaukee? Oh yea, 2nd worst O in the majors.

Podsednik hit .274 away from Miller Park last season, in a down year. Harris wasn't exactly a stolen base threat every time he got on base either.

Defense : Cora > Harris

On Base Percentage: Cora > Harris

Speed: Harris > Cora

Ability not to Strikeout: Cora > Harris

Say good bye to Willie

Willie or Cora? Do teams fighting for a World Series birth ever have to think about something like this? :headshake God we suck. I hate baseball with 4 or 5 elite teams and the rest just road kill, carnival side show freaks, the Washington Generals to the Globe Trotters.

I know it's what we are dealt but we're worrying about which guys we'd pick up from baseballs scrap heap of old and discarded parts. :puke

Replace Willie with Cora and you're one pulled hammy or one twisted ankle away from being the slowest team in the league. That may be fine with you but not with me.

Podsednik hit .274 away from Miller Park last season, in a down year. Harris wasn't exactly a stolen base threat every time he got on base either.

Defense : Cora > Harris

On Base Percentage: Cora > Harris

Speed: Harris > Cora

Ability not to Strikeout: Cora > Harris

Willie or Cora? Do teams fighting for a World Series birth ever have to think about something like this?  :headshake God we suck. I hate baseball with 4 or 5 elite teams and the rest just road kill, carnival side show freaks, the Washington Generals to the Globe Trotters.

I know it's what we are dealt but we're worrying about which guys we'd pick up from baseballs scrap heap of old and discarded parts.  :puke

If the Dodgers didn't sign Kent and kept Beltre instead, they probably wouldn't have signed Jose Valentin and would have kept Alex Cora instead. Good players often get non - tendered, often because of the team's payroll situation and their inability to afford them.

Going by that logic, cora led LA to the playoffs, so would he lead the sox to the playoffs too?

I'm not going just by speed. But what the sox said they also needed---contact hitters, guys who can handle the bat. SB speed is overrated. But having guys who can "first and third" an opposing team to death is important. Having guys who can run the bases on hit and runs, and having guys who can put the ball in play [AJ, Cora, etc] is a part of building a more consistent offense.