Alex Cora.

redandwhite

Podsednik hit .274 away from Miller Park last season, in a down year. Harris wasn't exactly a stolen base threat every time he got on base either.

Defense : Cora > Harris

On Base Percentage: Cora > Harris

Speed: Harris > Cora

Ability not to Strikeout: Cora > Harris

Are you talking about the .364 2004 OBP or the .287 2003 OBP.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie or Cora? Do teams fighting for a World Series birth ever have to think about something like this?  :headshake God we suck. I hate baseball with 4 or 5 elite teams and the rest just road kill, carnival side show freaks, the Washington Generals to the Globe Trotters.

I know it's what we are dealt but we're worrying about which guys we'd pick up from baseballs scrap heap of old and discarded parts.  :puke

The sox are looking for guys who can get them to the playoffs first. If they aren't cutting it by the break, a trade could fill a hole. Cora was doing fine at 2b for LA, a playoff team. DePodesta is looking for more offense w/ Kent. I think he's messing up a decent team, with guys like LoDuca, Mota gone. He's making a lot of mistakes and Cora could be another mistake

BTW-WS teams pick up spare parts all the time. Womack was a scrap heap p/u and led STL to the best record in the NL. SP's like Chris Carpenter, or bullpen arms. It happens a lot, esp. if your team isn't Bos. or the yankees

Going by that logic, cora led LA to the playoffs, so would he lead the sox to the playoffs too?

I'm not going just by speed. But what the sox said they also needed---contact hitters, guys who can handle the bat. SB speed is overrated. But having guys who can "first and third" an opposing team to death is important. Having guys who can run the bases on hit and runs, and having guys who can put the ball in play [AJ, Cora, etc] is a part of building a more consistent offense.

Eckstein led the Angels to the World Series

And around and around we go.

Could it actually be possible that he could actually hit under .200 there next season?

Especially with a pitcher hitting behind him. He isn't going to see anything good to hit. I am assuming he's batting 8th in that lineup.

Cora is a better fielder, can play both second base and shortstop better than Eckstein can, and will probably come cheaper. Plus since he's Joey Cora's brother, it's more conceivable that the Sox will sign him instead. He's got an excellent OBP too.

:headbang

Although Eck would probably be a fan favorite here. I wouldn't have a problem with either and I figure one will be on the SouthSide.

Alex Cora doesn't solve the Sox holes in the middle infield: a 2b player that we can play against tough lefty pitchers. Cora is decent against lhp, but that still means he'd be at a great disadvantage against guys like Johan and C.C. Of course, anything is better than Willie though, and if we signed Cora, he'd very likely end up being the starting 2b...which is fine by me. Cora doesnt strike out much, plays good D, and can handle the bat well.

Cora would improve the sox defense [as Uribe would stay at ss], Eck wouldn't [as he'd move Uribe to 2b]. The fact that Cora can play SS and 2b is huge, so Uribe can play 3b for Crede at times. Eck hasn't played 2b in years if at all in the majors. He's strictly a SS

How would Cora improve the Sox defensively?

Maybe Cora is as good as Harris defensively, but definitely not better. I highly doubt that Cora has more range than Harris does...

Also, someone else said it, Cora can't hit lefties either. What do we do when a lefty takes the bump? Don't get me wrong, I think Cora would be a nice pickup, but we'd still be stuck in a hole vs. left handed pitchers, at second base.

IMHO Cora is too similar to Harris -- the only thing I like is that he can play SS. I don't think he is that much of an improvement over Willie or worth the extra money it would cost versus our other minor league options for the utility spot. On the other hand, I do think Eckstein is worth the money. His OBP is much more consistant year over year -- plus he is that "get dirty in your face never quit" type player whose value is generally under appreciated. No to Cora, YES to Eckstein!

Given the choice, I would definately go with Eck over Cora.  Eck would fill more roles on this team, including 2 hitter and SS.

Excellent point on the #2 hitter issue. Eckstein also adds more speed than Cora.

I would be happy with either, I believe they both represent an upgrade at best, more depth at worst.

Given the choice, I would definately go with Eck over Cora.  Eck would fill more roles on this team, including 2 hitter and SS.

If the sox get Eck he definitely becomes the 2nd baseman, Juan is a much better shortstop then Eck is, plus David is more suited to be a 2 bagger.