The shortest Day of the year

southsider2k5

Raging nerd that I am, here's some Lingua Latina for the day...

Solstice = [sol = sun] + [-stitium = stasis or stoppage]

The term refers to the apparent noon-time elevation of the sun remaining unchanged for several days before and after the solstice. After this, the noonday sun gets higher each day and the days gradually grow longer.

The term refers to the apparent noon-time elevation of the sun remaining unchanged for several days before and after the solstice.  After this, the noonday sun gets higher each day and the days gradually grow longer.

[/nerd]

:lol:

The term refers to the apparent noon-time elevation of the sun remaining unchanged for several days before and after the solstice.  After this, the noonday sun gets higher each day and the days gradually grow longer.

[/nerd]

(Big nerd) :lol:

Isn't this day 24 hours like the rest of them?  :P

Isn't this the shortest daylight day of the year  :lol:

Actually if you really wanted to get technical, one year doesn't exactly equal 365 days. It's a little more than that. Thus the need for a leap year every 4 years.

That means each day is not exactly 24 hours...

Let me take this one, Mike.

You're lucky you're in Texas or I'd beat the crap outta you right now! :fight  :lol:

:lolhitting

Speaking of Texas . . .

83°F

Fair  Feels Like

82°F

UV Index:  2 Low

Dew Point:  51°F

Humidity:  33%

Visibility:  10.0 miles

Pressure:  29.75 inches and falling

Wind:  From the South at 7 mph

:melt

Actually if you really wanted to get technical, one year doesn't exactly equal 365 days. It's a little more than that. Thus the need for a leap year every 4 years.

Please don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

Actually, if you REALLY REALLY wanted to get technical (Big Nerd Warning)...

A natural or 'tropical' year, from vernal equinox to vernal equinox is 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds. That means there are actually 365.2422 days in the year....

Being just a little less than 365.25 days, adding up all the leap year corrections puts us off by about 0.03 days every 4-year cycle (0.0078 days a year), timekeeping errors do accumulate...

So, even with a leap year system in place during the time of the Roman Empire, the slight overcorrection every 4 years was such that between 46 BC and 1582 AD, this accumulated error totalled 12.7 days. This became apparent when celestial events like the solstice that used to historically occur at one time were now occurring more than two weeks early according to Julian celendar time...

Pope Greg, Part XIII to the rescue!!! Gregory gets us closer to the modern calendar by decreeing that all years divisible by 4 are to be leap years EXCEPT for century years. These now must be divisible by 400 to be leap years. (are you still with me?)...

This simple (?!?) fix gives us the Gregorian Calendar which gives us an error rate of only 1 day every 3,333.3 years! The calendar was put into effect in predominantly Roman Catholic countries in the late 16th centure, and necessitated tossing out 10 whole days from the calendar then in use (tough luck if you had a birthday that year)....

To really confuse things, the Brits didn't adopt the Gregorian system until 1752, which meant there were completely different calendars between Great Britain and Christian Europe for almost 200 years!

But, that's only if you want to get technical... :D :D :D :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

That technical stuff if really good. I did not know about the 400 year cycle for century years. Obviously it didn't happen in 2000 because it was the 400th year. Cool stuff.

I only found out about it because in 2000 they did an NPR piece about the whole thing.

And some people don't want the government to keep funding public radio... :headshake :fyou