Barons game messed up Sox

Mr. Showtime

From the Sun-Times:

It makes Tuesday night's team gathering at a popular steakhouse seem like the worst idea since somebody put together a travel itinerary of Tucson-to-Houston-to-Birmingham-to-Kansas City all in a span of four days.

The truth is that the Sox were forced into Sunday's game at Birmingham one day before the opener. They originally planned to meet up with their Class AA squad on a day off during the regular season, but the new agreement between baseball and the players union eliminated midseason exhibition games against minor- league teams.

So they flew Sunday morning, played Sunday afternoon and flew again Sunday night. They got their rest Monday afternoon while facing the Royals, scratching out a measly three hits.

Well, I think it is good for the Sox to play against their AA team. I think they should of just played on game against Houston, played on Saturday against Birmingham and then headed to Kansas City where they had a few days to relax.

I know the Angels don't go travelling around before the season starts. They usually play one game in LA, one game in Anaheim.

I agree that there could have been some effect, but I wouldn't overdramatize it. The starters only played 3 opr 4 innings. They travel on plush charter flights and the flights between those cities are short.

That travel schedule was not ideal, but it wasn't the reason the Sox lost. They just came out with no intensity. The Sox have a habit of doing this type of thing. Last year if I recall, they played in SF the day before the season. I could be wrong, but I do think they played in more than one city after leaving Tucson last year.

Chisoxfn, I agree that one game in Houston would have been better for the travel schedule. But keep in mind, that these guys want to play at that time of year because it is their final tuneup before the start of the season.

I also agree that it is good for them to play their affiliates. It is great for the fans of Birmingham or Charlotte to see their former players in a Sox uniform. The Sox have 10 ex-Barons on their Opening Day roster. It means a lot to the affiliates for their Big League club to come back and showcase the ex-stars.

Guest hotsoxchick1
From the Sun-Times:

It makes Tuesday night's team gathering at a popular steakhouse seem like the worst idea since somebody put together a travel itinerary of Tucson-to-Houston-to-Birmingham-to-Kansas City all in a span of four days.

The truth is that the Sox were forced into Sunday's game at Birmingham one day before the opener. They originally planned to meet up with their Class AA squad on a day off during the regular season, but the new agreement between baseball and the players union eliminated midseason exhibition games against minor- league teams.

So they flew Sunday morning, played Sunday afternoon and flew again Sunday night. They got their rest Monday afternoon while facing the Royals, scratching out a measly three hits.

ok april fools is over with ........come on now guys isnt this reaching just a bit too far for an excuse for lazy playing...............they lacked any luster and thats it...... they should be used to a heafty flight schedule since there are times where they are here and there and everwhere anyhow.............i like the bats got left behind excuse alot better............maybe we should just stick to that ............lol lol lol lol............. :D