Cora, Eckstein, or...

redandwhite

A BDD source says that Japanese news reports indicate that Richard Moss, agent for Tadahito Iguchi, said he is confident that the former Fukuoka Daiei Hawks speedy second baseman will end up signing with the Red Sox. So far Iguchi has received an offer from the Chicago White Sox for two years at $4M but Moss has dismissed that offer, referencing Kaz Matsui’s three year, $20.1M deal with the Mets. Iguchi is quoted as saying "I don't expect to know where I will be when (Randy) Johnson doesn't know. I hope to know by the time (spring training) camp starts." Yankees manager Joe Torre was asked about Iguchi as a back up to Tony Womack and said "I don't know about him."

Yes, its Boston Dirt Dogs, but its definitly a pretty interesting tidbit, and worth noting in my opinion. If this is true, it is looking more and more likely that the White Sox will go after someone to play second base next season.

Thoughts.

Here is a little something about him.

He's just turned 30 and has been released by his team so he can go to the majors. He's finally turned in two similar seasons. I'd say he's likely to play at least another year or two at about the 2004 level, then begin to decline with age. He won Gold Gloves in 2001 and 2003, but as we saw with Kazuo Matsui, that's no guarantee of a NPB middle infielder's prowess with the glove at the major league level. I'd scout that aspect of his game carefully, because if his defense is up to snuff, you've got to like a .300 hitting second baseman with some pop in his bat. Unless Jojima is posted, he's almost certain to be the best player to come over from Japan this year.

http://baseballguru.com/jalbright/analysis...Tadahito_Iguchi

This may be just me. But, for example if we sign Cora, would Willie Harris have any trade value at all? I think I would much rather see Valdez as the bench guy (can play both 2B and SS) and Cora starting as opposed to Willie sitting on the bench and plays only 2B. I guess Willie also plays CF, but that won't happen much this year probably.

If he goes anywhere i think he ends up in boston. They have been targeting him for a long while now.

What the heck is going on with boston? They became the yanks buying all people who are eligible. on the other side, I wish our management is like that but I guess when you win, you become hungry for more.

From Rotoworld ....

The Red Sox plan to pass on Japanese infielder Tadahito Iguchi and use Kevin Youkilis and Ramon Vazquez as their reserve infielders next season.

Iguchi still might get an opportunity elsewhere, but if any other major league team is pursuing him, it's doing so quietly. Dec. 23 - 3:58 am et