Home run porch

southsider2k5

Just looking at the remodling pictures and I got to thinking about the rumors that a home run porch could be a part of the final phase of the Comiskey remodel. Does this still have a chance of happening? Would it cost too much to do? And finally what do people think of the idea?

I personally would love to bring the roofshot back to the South Side :bringit

Guest hotsoxchick1
Just looking at the remodling pictures and I got to thinking about the rumors that a home run porch could be a part of the final phase of the Comiskey remodel.  Does this still have a chance of happening?  Would it cost too much to do?  And finally what do people think of the idea?

from what i understand, (my sox friend told me) the next phase of the remodeling in the off season were supposed to see new things done to the upper deck and a homerun porch over by left field.....

Just looking at the remodling pictures and I got to thinking about the rumors that a home run porch could be a part of the final phase of the Comiskey remodel.  Does this still have a chance of happening?  Would it cost too much to do?  And finally what do people think of the idea?

from what i understand, (my sox friend told me) the next phase of the remodeling in the off season were supposed to see new things done to the upper deck and a homerun porch over by left field.....

In left-field? I'd figure it would be in right-field.

Whatever works....it works for me.

Well they haven't used a penny from the US Cell money so they must have a lot planned.

Well it all depends on how much they can get up front. So while the deal was for 68 million or whatever it was, all they may get is 30 million now. And no construction group is going to have JR on a payment plan. :lol:

Just looking at the remodling pictures and I got to thinking about the rumors that a home run porch could be a part of the final phase of the Comiskey remodel.  Does this still have a chance of happening?  Would it cost too much to do?  And finally what do people think of the idea?

In left-field? I'd figure it would be in right-field.

Whatever works....it works for me.

The plans I saw had a HR porch in RF and a new Grand Entrance on 35th and Wentworth. Considering the overpass on 35th over the Dan Ryan is being painted silver and black, I'd buy more into the HR porch being in RF..... but that's just me.

Well they haven't used a penny from the US Cell money so they must have a lot planned.

Well it all depends on how much they can get up front. So while the deal was for 68 million or whatever it was, all they may get is 30 million now. And no construction group is going to have JR on a payment plan. :lol:

Almost all construction groups work on payment plans, i should know my dad owns one...

Almost all construction groups work on payment plans, i should know my dad owns one...

:o :o :o :o

No matter, the point is that they have to get a lot up front. 3 million a year won't cut it.

I think it would, they agree to pay 10 mil up front(JR's own money, he later get's it back) and a yearly 3 mil payment.

I think it would, they agree to pay 10 mil up front(JR's own money, he later get's it back) and a yearly 3 mil payment.

I don't see JR willing to pay for anything.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

He wouldn't really be paying for it, it's more like borrowing money for his own team, he's take a little off the top on the US Cell deal and get back his 10 mil over a 10 year span.

Mac, I like your sig. I'm not worried yet, but he's on a short string cause this team has underachived too often. I like the idea of Backman, but with this team, just hire Bobby Valentine and get an experienced guy in.

I like the idea of Backman, but with this team, just hire Bobby Valentine and get an experienced guy in.

No money they'll claim.

I think the Sox will realize Valentine is out of work and he will come cheaper then normal. Plus think of the money they will lose if they suck. Bringing in a very experienced and well thought of manager would be HUGE.

Not that there is a guarantee Manuel gets canned. If he does, I hope we do it quick, cause if we wait and then can him, it means our season is in the toilet and I don't expect that to happen.

Mac, I like your sig. I'm not worried yet, but he's on a short string cause this team has underachived too often. I like the idea of Backman, but with this team, just hire Bobby Valentine and get an experienced guy in.

Backman!!! Backman!!! Backman!!!

Anyone would be better then JM (That 3-2 bunt sent me over the edge)...

Here we are just loaded with right handed power hitters... and we are going to put a HR porch in RIGHT field? WTF?  :huh:

I just like the idea of seeing it done. If it isn't going to be done until 2005 anyway, it gives us some time to adjust if it is going to be in RF.

There is so much talk about renovations to the stadium...wow, i mean who designed this thing in the first place, considering how much needs to be done on it.

My biggest problem with the stadium is that it's facing the wrong way, IMO. How hard would it be to turn it around have the backdrop be the city of chicago, not the projects? I swear, whoever designed the stadium walked out with a plated, tossed it into the air, and said "we'll build around this" without using any logic. Facing the projects has so much to do with the image comiskey has. And it was so easy to prevent.

There is so much talk about renovations to the stadium...wow, i mean who designed this thing in the first place, considering how much needs to be done on it.

My biggest problem with the stadium is that it's facing the wrong way, IMO. How hard would it be to turn it around have the backdrop be the city of chicago, not the projects? I swear, whoever designed the stadium walked out with a plated, tossed it into the air, and said "we'll build around this" without using any logic. Facing the projects has so much to do with the image comiskey has. And it was so easy to prevent.

The biggest thing was it was built for about $150 mil. They made it as cheaply and generically on purpose, to keep it within the budget. I believe Camden cost about $400 mil, to put it into perspective. But the reason Comiskey is so plain is that they didn't put any extra money into it at all!

The biggest thing was it was built for about $150 mil. They made it as cheaply and generically on purpose, to keep it within the budget. I believe Camden cost about $400 mil, to put it into perspective. But the reason Comiskey is so plain is that they didn't put any extra money into it at all!

Yes, very true, good point. The only thing that comiskey had that was somewhat unique at all, and no i don't count the exploding score board, was the restaurant down the right field line. And that's about it. It was just so plain, it was essentially a minor league ballpark..just nothing to it.

I've been told they are getting approximately $6 mill a year. But that means nothing since as long as they sign a contract with a contractor the work will be done and payment on a payment plan. They could also borrow against the guaranteed funds but I don;t know how likely that is considering the status of the economy and the history of cell phone companies the past 5 years. US Cellular could be bought out in 2 years and the new owners don't have to assume the deal (nor does the White Sox - thus another name change).

I don't see JR willing to pay for anything.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

It's not JR's complete decision. And it's not "his" money. This will get done, and you'll be surprised when it's sooner rather than later.

The way the stadium is facing has something to do with the direction of home plate. All new stadiums home place directs southeast from what I've heard? This could be an urban legend.. but I've heard it several times.

Guest hotsoxchick1

those projects are slowly leaving one by one..... theres plans to put a shopping center up where some of those across the ryan used to stand.......that whole neighborhood is changing for the better.........