• Royals

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Twins have nothing past Santana and radke

Yeah, no kidding, Joe Nathan, Juan Rincon, and JC Romero all suck :rolly

And is Garcia-Buehrle-Duque-Contreras-Garland really any better then Johan-Radke-Silva-Lohse-Mulholland?

Twins have the advantage...I see no reason why Duque puts us past Minny. I think we have improved, no doubt about that...but we are not the best.

I'll make this easy for you. Compare the potential of the 2005 Twins to the team ARZ fielded when they were world champions. Santana will be the favorite to win yet another Cy Young before the season starts. That's a 35 win potential between him Radke alone. They need just 35 wins from the other 3 to be in a position to iwin the division.

A healthy Santana + Radke is worth the same as a healthy Buehrle + Garcia + Garland.

Ozzie was dead on in realizing the stakes had changed. That happens when your division rival & leader features a Cy Young winner ;)

It's the balance. We dug a couple holes to fill in others, The question is, if we leave Spring training with this team, and I doubt we will, is the improvement in starting piotching equal to the loss of offense with Maggs, Lee, Valentin, and Olivo.

I'm going with the Heftybaggers for now. While I think that the White Sox pitching will be MUCH improved next year, I tend to think that the Twins front two have a higher level of consistency over the last year than Buehrle and Garcia. Even though I think we have a more balanced staff, I think we need to prove our consistency at the mound first.

Provided that Contreras and Garland can settle down and be a little more reliable, that vote would switch right back to the Cell in heartbeat.

The best way to compare starters is to look at their losses. Those are typically good measures of less than quality starts.

Santana: 6L, Radke 11L, Silva 8L, Lohse 13L, Mays 11L (03)

Buehrle: 10L, Garcia 11L, Contreras 9L, Garland 11L, El-Duque 5L (02)

Santana over Buehrle

Radke ties Garcia

Silva over Contreras

Garland over Lohse

El-Duque+Grili over Mays+Gressinger

Edge: Twins

The 5th is tough to evaluate. Both Mays & El-Duque are injury prone.

El-Duque 98 (21S, 4L), 99 (33S, 9L), 00 (29S, 13L), 01 (17S, 7L), 02 (22S, 5L), 03 DL, 04 (15S, 2L)

Mays 99 (20S, 11L), 00 (28S, 15L), 01 (34S, 13L), 02 (17S, 8L), 03 (21S, 8L), 04 DL

EL-Duque avg's 11L when he has more than 25S, but only avg's about 5L when he has less than 25S. If we assume 21S, that gives Grili about 8 starts (same as 04) in which he avg'd 3L. The total then would be about 9L.

Mays is in a similar boat. Assume 21S, & 9L & assume 4/5 for the other 8/9 starts.

That's a sizeable advantage to the CWS.

But because the front-end starters will factor in more games I still give the edge to

the Twins.