How has this offseason been?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How has this offseason been?

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Fair
    • Poor
    • Fuck You KW!

I hesitate to think why anyone would consider an offseason of losing Lee and Ordonez as a "very good" offseason. I think the roster has had enough turnover that any speculation is just that. There is probably not a team in baseball with more question marks than the Sox. That is a good thing when considering that we have the potential to be exceptional, but bad in that it shouldn't stun you to see us win 75-80 games.

Punch and Judy Garland I think were going to win a lot more than that. I'm sorry I would rather had speed, and pitching now because it didn't work last time when we had Ordonez and Lee. We didn't win a championship expect for the 2000 season but thats it. We didn't win a world series so we have to change to speed, pitching, and defense. That's what wins world series'. Power helps, but it's more diverse with the other stuff. Sorry but I disagree with you. We have one of the best pitching staffs in the league now, and I think we'll win more than 80 games this year. Probably 90-95 games. Maybe 100 if were healthy. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I hesitate to think why anyone would consider an offseason of losing Lee and Ordonez as a "very good" offseason. I think the roster has had enough turnover that any speculation is just that. There is probably not a team in baseball with more question marks than the Sox. That is a good thing when considering that we have the potential to be exceptional, but bad in that it shouldn't stun you to see us win 75-80 games.

We lost lee but we gained a strong bullpen with the additions of Hermanson and Vizcaino. We also gained a base-stealing machine and hopefully he will be a good lead-off hitter. Along with that we finally got a fifth starter in OH. Considering we barely had Maggs last year we didnt really lose his stats.

To me our team is better than last year and i am willing to bet we get more wins than last year.

I say its a "Good" offseason. I will change my mind to "Very Good" if we can sign Eckstein. Ozzie wants speed, defense, and pitching, and we added all of that this offseason in my mind. We haven't won with the makeup our team was the past 4 years, so why not try something new? I like the way Kenny has shaped our bullpen. I like Pods at the top of the order, and if we can sign Eckstein and have him bat 2nd. We finally have 5 starting pitchers going into the season which is nice. Hopefully they can stay healthy.

Maybe because we never won s*** with Maggs or Carlos and the team needed to change from their swing for the fences tendencies?

Just a thought to ponder.

Fair. Our 7-9 spots in the lineup make me cringe.

7-Crede 299 o, 419 s. Oddly enough he split time at 7&8. As an 8 he had a 330 o, 503 s. Make him an 8. Please.

8-Davis 299 o, 443 s. Not bad. Nearly 1/2 of Davis' ab's were as an 8. Crede can't have 8. Davis as a 7 = 594 ops, as a 9 = 554. He sucks in any spot. He has to be an 8.

9-Harris 364 o, 436 s. Not bad. About 15% of his ab's were as a 9. He sucked as #1, & #2 & there isn't much left to consider.

Well I feel a little better.

Crede sucks as a 7 but he's the best of the 3 in that spot.

What we need the most is a utility IF ready to come in for Crede if he should suck as a 7 again. Or a C who is solid as a 7.

Options: I think you'll like this!

5-Zaun 371 o, 372 s 60% of his ab

7-Zaun 349 o, 469 s 30% of his ab

If we sign Zaun then we can move Crede to 8. That'll work!

9-Cairo 368 o, 436 s 60% of his ab's. Solid competition for Harris.

1-Eckstein - No thank you. Nearly all of his ab's are as a leadoff hitter. 343 o, 337 s.

8-Cora - 402 o, 419 s. 60% of his ab's. As a 7, 9 he sucks. The 8 spot is Crede's.

No thank you.

KW please sign Zaun & Cairo. On paper at least are 7-9 become:

7-Zaun 349 o, 469 s

8-Crede 330 o, 503 s

9-Cairo 368 o, 436 s

I like that! I think that beats the Twins!

I don't think we should factor losing Maggs as a con to this offseason. We made him a very fair offer that he didn't accept, and we went out knowing he wouldn't be back. Out of our hands, unless you invoke overpaying. We're also losing Valentin to free agency, but I don't think anyone here will complain about that. So let's not count the loss of Maggs, Valentin, and the Super Alomar Bros against KW.

We lose:

Carlos Lee

We gain:

Dustin Hermanson

Jermaine Dye

Scott Podsednik

Luis Vizcaino

Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez

If we get 2B help, it's just that much better. I don't know how anyone could consider this offseason anything less than good on a scale of 1 to awesome.

I'll say "fair".

The additions to the bullpen I like. I consider both Vizcaino and Hermanson solid pickups, with Hermanson being the good veteran pitcher and Vizcaino being the guy who has a good upside. Nice balance.

Podsednik? I don't know. If this guy can fall somewhere between his 2003 season and his 2004 season, I'll be happy. I certainly do not expect anything close to 100 SB from him in the AL, especially considering we have 19 games against the Tigers. Fifty SB's and I'll be thrilled.

Dye. Solid pick up for a good price. Smooth move by KW. The more I think about this acquisition, the better I like it. He will not replace the production of Maggs or Lee, but he's solid.

El Duque. If he can stay healthy, the dude can pitch. The Sox have to be very careful with him. Keeping him in the rotation should be a priority for the Sox. Err on the side of caution when considering how much to pitch this guy.

Good, but I think it could (have) and been a lot better.

We missed out on Vizquel, Clement among the free agents we've gone after.

Though I do like the Dye and Podsednik acquisations...I'm not sure if they can replace Maggs and Carlos---right away.

A middle infielder is still needed and the only player I will accept is Eckstein...just look at his size and speed...he's an Ozzie type player. .988 fielding percentage...not bad. Yeah you could say Cora's kid should come here for family, but I think eckstein would fit our scheme better.

How can anyone rate this offseason below GOOD? First of all, if the Sox indeed resign Ordonez, that would be $12 mil/a year. With Lee on this team, he would have cost us $8.5 mil next year. Those two players alone combine for $20.5 mil, 27% of the team's payroll (assuming payroll is at $75 mil). Do you know what that MEANS?

We would have had the same old slow boring team again that has not won anything since the year of 2000. That would have meant we can NOT sign any other players to better our club. That would have meant the frustrating dejavu situtation of lacking 5th starting pitcher all over again. No Thanks.

The concept of having Thomas, Ordonez, Lee and Konerko on the team is not working. And I compliment KW for going out and accomplish his goal of changing the team philosophy even with the budget constraint. In all honesty, I'll take Kenny over Schueler anytime!

I rate this offseason VERY GOOD. With the addition of Eckstein or the trade of Garland for Vazquez, I would give it EXCELLENT.

im not set on these moves...Eckstein by the way will sign with the Cardinals..they are in need of a shortstop and will give more money...I thought the moves we could of made would of def. helped us out more and would of been a success for this offseason...ok so we signed average o below average players that nobody wants...Scott Podsednik...Jermaine Dye...Orlando Hernandez...Luis Vizcaino..and Dustin Hermanson...injury prone players..washed up...Spods was a .244 hitter at leadoff...Dye was hurt..and is no comparison to Magglio...El Duque is 35..injury prone..washed up! Vizcaino..decent trade...Hermanson..what else should I say, his era was almost 5...The players we failed to get...Vizquel..Clement..Randy Johnson..Pierzinski..Odalis Perez..It just shows the sox are cheap..not willing to take chances..and Reinsdorf has to go...Give it a C

im not set on these moves...Eckstein by the way will sign with the Cardinals..they are in need of a shortstop and will give more money...I thought the moves we could of made would of def. helped us out more and would of been a success for this offseason...ok so we signed average o below average players that nobody wants...Scott Podsednik...Jermaine Dye...Orlando Hernandez...Luis Vizcaino..and Dustin Hermanson...injury prone players..washed up...Spods was a .244 hitter at leadoff...Dye was hurt..and is no comparison to Magglio...El Duque is 35..injury prone..washed up!  Vizcaino..decent trade...Hermanson..what else should I say, his era was almost 5...The players we failed to get...Vizquel..Clement..Randy Johnson..Pierzinski..Odalis Perez..It just shows the sox are cheap..not willing to take chances..and Reinsdorf has to go...Give it a C

straight up

I voted good. I must admit that Carlos Lee deal still pisses me off, and I am expecting to worse out of Scott Posednik, but KW has finally gotten us a solid 1-5 rotation.

As long as he doesn't make any more moves that affect the pitching this offseason then he has accomplished what he said he would. He ungraded the pen and the rotation.

I'm still not sold on Pod as a lead off hitter, in fact I don't expect to keep it through April, so hopefully the other guys can step up around him.