Bally's Fitness

Queen Prawn

My sister and I are looking into joining tonight and I was wondering if anyone has feedback on Bally's Fitness Centers. Specifically, we are looking at the Oak Lawn locaation. The BBB doesn't have any complaints, so that is a good thing. I was just wondering if any one has had direct experience one way or another... :huh:

My sister and I are looking into joining tonight and I was wondering if anyone has feedback on Bally's Fitness Centers.  Specifically, we are looking at the Oak Lawn locaation.  The BBB doesn't have any complaints, so that is a good thing.  I was just wondering if any one has had direct experience one way or another...  :huh:

In my experience you're always going to have some level of problems with Gyms... Sometimes that involves them closing their doors one night and making it near impossible to get any sort of refund. For the most part, and I preface this with saying there have been good gym employees I've dealt with, they are meatheads who are there to talk on their cell-phones, push tanning and supplments on you, and hit on the woman who work there.

I go to the X-Sport Fitness in Lombard and sometimes it's a joke what the employees are doing.

-My suggestion is most gyms will give you a week long free trial, try it.

-Pay attention to the other people who work out there, this is the most imporant aspect of being satisfied with a gym. You do not want to get into a gym where it's a majority of meatheads who yell and act like assholes. Now, you're obviously not going to get a gym free of these, but some gyms only have a group or two who act like this.

-Remember, a gym is a place you plan on spending an hour a day, so make sure it works for you (specific type of equipment, hours, any other extras you're looking for). I know my gym is easily one of the funniest places I go, with the biggest group of characters this side of the Cantina on Tantoine in Star Wars. It's a great place to people watch.

Good suggestions. I know this one has been there for quite some time so I am not too worried about the first.

As for the second - that's why my sister and I will be working out together - easier to ignore meatheads when there are two of you (I really miss the work out equipment at my last job - :( ).

My wedding isn't until October, so I will definitely be using them for a year. If I get into it as much as I hope, I will continue going so the three year thing isn't bad. The last company I worked for provided exersize equipment and I used it at least every other day if not every day for about 45 mins - 1 hr (I had a regular routine I did).

The hardest part with Bally's is trying to get the contract settled. They like to play a lot of games with the pricing, so you have to read it very carefully. Each club is different as far as equipment, amenities, etc. I haven't been to the Oak Lawn club in yrs, so I can't comment on that one. I will never go back to the club in Schaumburg on Meacham because of the filthy shower area, and what goes on in the showers. The only reason I renewed my membership was because of the price they offered. I'm paying $96 for the yr. If they offer the same price next yr, I'll renew again. When I stopped my membership, it was up to $180/yr and for the difference in price, I would rather pay for Lifetime Fitness. Those were much cleaner and had a lot more equipment so you weren't always waiting for someone or trying to work in with them. I would suggest to workout there for a couple of weeks or so and see if you like it. If they don't want to offer you that, question what they are trying to hide.