Duke Basketball

While there is a ton of well desrved respect for Coach K, I don't believ the whole program gets the respect it deserves year in and year out.

In Pre-Season Rankings, Duke has been picked 4th or 5th in the strong ACC and now heading into ACC play, guess who's the only team undefeated? Yep, it's Duke. Granted the non-conference schedule hasn't been tough outside of Mich St. and Oklahoma, but Duke has faced two imminent tournament teams in Toledo and Illinois-Chicago.

In ACC play, I only see them losing twice. I think they'll split with G.Tech and Wake. If they play their game, they should be able to sweep UNC. Everyone says that Duke is not as deep as years past, but I don't see a difference. They have role players now off the bench that do the little things that can win them games. Freshman David McClure is able to play solid defense and can get the tough rebound. DeMarcus Nelson is an explosive scorer and plays much stronger then his size. Lee Melcionni plays great defense and is a sniper from beyond the arc. The biggest addition has to be the return of Reggie Love though. He's solid with his toughness and can rebound very well.

Granted the loss of Shavlik Randolph really hurts our depleted front-court but he'll be back in a month and you have to have faith in Coach K to keep plugging away and winning. One thing no one looks at is the fact that JJ Redick was terrible last season and completely wore down in the tournament last season. This year he's lost weight and his shot lokks to be back from 2 years ago. Daniel Ewing's game is more refined and he's made the clutch baskets that Duhon did last year. Of Course Willimas is domiant down low and Sean Dockery has developed a perimeter shot.

I just don't see why there ranked behing UNC who has already lost a game! It doesn't make sense and I predict at the end of the season they'll win the ACC and be a #1 seed again.

Right now they can play with anyone in the country and win, that includes Illinois!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat the Illini? Have you watched them at all this year? With the exception of the Missouri game, which, as a rivalry game was expected to be close, Illinois has completely controlled and DOMINATED opponents.

Some people may not be giving Duke enough respect, but you are giving them way too much credit.

By the way, even though I'm an Illini fan, I doubt they'll go undefeated. I can definitely see a loss to MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Iowa. I believe they are very good, but the big 10 is a tough schedule.

Also, the thing with UNC...I do agree that it's a bit odd they are ranked higher even though they lost one game, but on the other hand, that was their first game, and they've just rolled since then, so I'm kind split there.

Guys it honestly doesn't even deserve a response, so many things wrong with it. Don't waste your time. Duke has played...

Tenn. Martin

Davidson

UNC-Greensboro

Michigan State

Valporaiso

Toledo

Ill. Chicago

Oklahoma

Only Oklahoma and Valpo were played outside of NC. If you haven't figured it out yet, coach K racks up victories by playing cupcakes and everyone at home or on neutral courts. There is a recent story about Lute Olsen in talks with Duke about a home and home series, but Duke requested the game for Arizona's home game be on a neutral court. Lute told them to go fly a kite. Its hilarious stuff. K is praised and praised, yet nobody questions their schedule and the places they play.

Duke only losing 2 in the ACC, hilarious. I don't even know why I responded.

I think both Illinois and Duke are similar to what they were last season. I think both teams have grown to be better teams. Most say that Duke has less talent this season, and that's probably true, but I think they have more chemistry this year, I guess because now they've been playing with each other for 3 years.

Illinois has grown a lot since last season when they lost in the Sweet 16, to I forgot who? :D , Anyway I think Augustine, Deron Williams, Head, and Dee brown are all very good players, but I still think Duke has the edge because of coaching. I think the depth on each team is very similar as well. Right now, Illinois deserves to be #1, they probably won't stay there but they still will be a team to be reckoned with.

I don't believe that you can judge each team by their conference records because obviously there is no comaparison between the ACC and the Big Ten.

Right now if the two played each other and Duke didn't have Shav:

You guys would win in your house (depending on whether Redick is hot)

I think Duke might be able to win at Cameron

With Shav I think Duke would be able to win a little easier but you guys could probably sneak out a win at home. Like I said, the coaching is a huge factor.

Guys it honestly doesn't even deserve a response, so many things wrong with it. Don't waste your time. Duke has played...

Tenn. Martin

Davidson

UNC-Greensboro

Michigan State

Valporaiso

Toledo

Ill. Chicago

Oklahoma

Only Oklahoma and Valpo were played outside of NC. If you haven't figured it out yet, coach K racks up victories by playing cupcakes and everyone at home or on neutral courts. There is a recent story about Lute Olsen in talks with Duke about a home and home series, but Duke requested the game for Arizona's home game be on a neutral court. Lute told them to go fly a kite. Its hilarious stuff. K is praised and praised, yet nobody questions their schedule and the places they play.

Duke only losing 2 in the ACC, hilarious. I don't even know why I responded.

Should have figured it was a North Carolina fan.

I guess your just frustrated about losing to Duke. Man, that Duhon reverse layup was a dagger in the heart. :lolhitting

I'm sorry, our schedule was a piece of cake and I know Santa Clara can be tough even for a storied program like UNC. You guys better not go back to Hawaii next year, I hear Chaminade is building one hell of a team. :P

Difference between UNC and Duke (besides the fact that we don't have assholes like McCants on our team): We beat our cupcake teams!!!

Right now if the two played each other and Duke didn't have Shav:

You guys would win in your house (depending on whether Redick is hot)

I think Duke might be able to win at Cameron

With Shav I think Duke would be able to win a little easier but you guys could probably sneak out a win at home. Like I said, the coaching is a huge factor.

Might be able to sneak out a win at home? The Illini have the best home winning percentage in the country the last 5 years. They embarrassed the Demon Deacons a few weeks ago there.