Mega Churches

kapkomet

The American Airlines Center (where the Mavs and Stars play) was rented by a church here in DFW. I used to go there, and decided that it just was not the place for me - for many reasons but the pure size was part of it...

They had 20,000 people (max capacity) for the first service and 15,000 for the second service. In fact, the first one was so big the fire marshall had to deny people entrance.

I find it amazing a church RENTS a sports arena for their services...

Imagine the tithes necessary to pay for that one.

I'm torn about the issue. Mega churches are sometimes a great thing - but sometimes lose the focus of what a church is supposed to be.

Oh well... off to sleep so Santa can come visit. :)

Hope you all have a great evening!

Edited by kapkomet

I have seen my parish grow through the years. I will be going to mass in two hours, and I am sure that there will be no where to sit, and it is a big sized church. I really like the smaller atmosphere where I feel a part of the group, where you know everyone, etc. I think it is just a better feeling. I would never leave my parish though, as I grew up in it, and it has been a part of my life for oh so long.

They did the same thing down here in Orlando, using the Staples Center where the Magic play to hold mass for 16K+ tonight.

It's a necessity I guess. Lots of lapsed or lax churchgoers still turn out for Christmas Eve services - if they had local parish services every 2 hours all day, they probably still would not meet demand.

This lapsed churchgoer is currently tuned into the rebroadcast of JPII at St. Peters while I wrap kid presents at a fevered pace. That way, instead of wine I can drink beer.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night. :santabye