Earthquakes and Tsunamis in Asia - 225,000+ dead

DBAHO

None of the video that I've seen comes anywhere close to capturing the extent of the catastrophe. It just looks like a few high waves.

I guess everyone who was close enough to get good footage is not around to show it to us.

This one has a bit more than some "waves"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_ne...storyid=4132781

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing after the first wave hit and receded, many people went to the shore to see the exposed ocean floor that they had never seen before.  I also imagine there's tons of bodies they will probably never find.

I also heard one analyst on CNN international talking about the same scenario, except where a lot of the poor families ran into the now emtpy seas to grab the now floundering fish for food. She especially mentioned this happening to kids who happen to play on lots of those beaches.

I just heard the bit about animals.  That is absolutely truly amazing.  They knew it was coming and instinct told them to get far, far away.  Yet humanity, and all their sophistication, died in mass.

Interesting how God works sometimes.

When Chicago was hit with that very minor earthquake a few months back, a few hours before, my hamsters were nutty. Couldn't figure it out until the quake happened.

When Chicago was hit with that very minor earthquake a few months back, a few hours before, my hamsters were nutty.  Couldn't figure it out until the quake happened.

My cats howled for hours like crazy. They definitely knew something was up.

Here's something cool about the quakes effect on the earths spin and tilt on its axis.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/12/29...reut/index.html

A guy who works here is one of the higher ups in putting together the IOOS (International Ocean Observing System), and he showed me this. It is pretty mindboggling.

Nature is cruel. Especially when you ignore the history. The long-term effects of the quake are negligible for the rest of us but I think they could have an impact on that beach property for years to come.

Can a nuc explosion trigger such a quake? I imagine that's the next thing to consider in the wake of global terrorism.

Remember to :pray for the families of lost souls due to these tragic events.

It would take a very large nuclear explosion to cause such a tsunami. It's probably not too likely terrorists would conspire to do this when detonating one on land would have a much more terrorizing effect. Meteors, on the other hand could wipe out coastal cities throughout the Atlantic or Pacific depending on where they hit.

This is a pretty good site about tsunamis in general: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/itic/library/about_tsu/faqs.html

This link shows the (small) possibility of a larger tsunami in the Atlantic:

http://www.newsmedianews.com/tsunami.htm

A very large explosive device like a nuclear weapon could cause immense damage if placed in the right fault line. Hopefully they never figure that out.

That's the scary part because it is impossible to police the entire fault line in an ocean.

There's no way to prevent it once they get there hands on the nucs.