Yankees offer to El Duque

DBAHO

Haven't seen this around anywhere, apologies if it has been posted, but I saw this tidbit in the New York Post today;

Yankee executives were surprised that Orlando Hernandez received $8 million in two guaranteed years from the White Sox. The Yankee offer was $1.5 million with a chance to make another $2.5 million in incentives in 2005, plus a vesting option for 2006. The Yanks have long equated Hernandez with David Wells, worrying that if you don't structure a contract for just one year with the need for them to pitch for the big money you will lose them mentally over the course of the season. And, like with Wells, the Yanks worried about physical breakdowns, as well. Interestingly, Wells also got $8 million guaranteed for two years, just from the Red Sox.

That's also why there are incentives for making the All Star team and Comeback Player of the Year.

The Sox may have overpaid a little but given the pitching market this winter it's not totally out of line.

I also believe the Sox may not yet be done in terms of pitching. They will be watching this whole Randy Johnson - Vazquez scenario carefully. If the Sox see a chance to bring Vazquez in at the cost of Garland and a prospect, they'll do it.

Overpaying is really overpaying when you put your club in harm's way by doing so. And we did not do that with 8 million over 2 years. It may be more than some clubs would have been willign to spend, but we haea a guy who potentially could be worth that and more. If not, it's a short committment at the same yearly rate as Carl Everett.

I also believe the Sox may not yet be done in terms of pitching.  They will be watching this whole Randy Johnson - Vazquez scenario carefully.  If the Sox see a chance to bring Vazquez in at the cost of Garland and a prospect, they'll do it.

Perhaps. Now that we have a full rotation, I'd feel more comfortable trading Garland for a pitcher, as our rotation would not only be upgraded, but it would still be complete. However, I wouldn't want to do it at the price of definitely Sweeney, and probably Anderson and BMAC.

That's also why there are incentives for making the All Star team and Comeback Player of the Year.

The Sox may have overpaid a little but given the pitching market this winter it's not totally out of line.

I also believe the Sox may not yet be done in terms of pitching.  They will be watching this whole Randy Johnson - Vazquez scenario carefully.  If the Sox see a chance to bring Vazquez in at the cost of Garland and a prospect, they'll do it.

kw is almost always overpaying to get players here and more often than not, we get screwed.

however, most of the time it is with giving away prospects, cash is an overpayment that i am willing to pay, like we did with duke. all it will cost this time is jr money.

Perhaps.  Now that we have a full rotation, I'd feel more comfortable trading Garland for a pitcher, as our rotation would not only be upgraded, but it would still be complete.  However, I wouldn't want to do it at the price of definitely Sweeney, and probably Anderson and BMAC.

i wouldn't be surprise to see a garland, paulie and anderson to arz and vazquez and cash coming here.

i wouldn't be surprise to see a garland, paulie and anderson to arz and vazquez and cash coming here.

That is not going to happen. Even KW is not that stupid. KW basically said Konerko is staying put unless the sox get RJ for him. He knows they need someone who will drive in alot of runs.

The most ridiculous stuff you can possibly read is stories about the Yankees being fiscally conservative. That team is the ultimate in overpaying players for their services. Please correct me if I am wrong here, but didn't the Yankmees originally sign El Duque when he defected from Cuba? Huge bonus and all that?

Plus, we won't be getting Vazquez. The Sox have 5 starters and have a budget besides. Vazquez will either stay in NY or go to Arizona as part of the RJ deal.

Perhaps.  Now that we have a full rotation, I'd feel more comfortable trading Garland for a pitcher, as our rotation would not only be upgraded, but it would still be complete.  However, I wouldn't want to do it at the price of definitely Sweeney, and probably Anderson and BMAC.

Excuse me but Garland is a pitcher and a fairly decent one at that. Lots of upside to Judy Garland. I guess you can never say never, but I think the Sox will be concentrating on a signing of a super reserve infielder or a position player at SS or 2B. Maybe a catcher, if a good one becomes available. I don't see pitching being the most pressing need anymore.

This isn't a thought many others haven't had, but after overpaying for Zambrano and adding him and Benson while being on the outer fringes of contention, they had a lot of pressure to resign both pitchers. Hence, they managed to overpay Benson as all of the leverage was on Benson's side.