AAP: Ryan Sweeney

farmteam

I know I got this started late, but I was having computer troubles earlier. So, this will be the Ryan Sweeney information center! And without further adieu....

Ryan Sweeney was ranked the #2 prospect in the entire White Sox organization by Baseball America, behind Brian Anderson. Here's the write-up:

2. RYAN SWEENEY, of Age: 20 B-T: L-L Ht: 6-5 Wt.: 205

Drafted: HS—Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 2003 (2nd round) Signed by: Nathan Durst

Background: The White Sox stole Sweeney in 2003’s second round after a lackluster showcase performance on the eve of the draft hurt his stock. When injuries created a need for an outfielder in big league camp last spring, they summoned Sweeney—who responded by batting .367. Sox executive adviser Roland Hemond says he gets the same goosebumps watching Sweeney that he once did watching a young Harold Baines.

Strengths: Sweeney is athletic as well as a natural hitter with a textbook swing. He has few holes and uses the entire field. He has gap power and should add pop as he climbs toward Chicago. He also has a plus right-field arm.

Weaknesses: Some scouts in the high Class A Carolina League questioned Sweeney’s bat speed. He opened the season slowly and made matters worse by pressing, causing concerns about his patience. He’s still improving as a right fielder.

The Future: Sweeney should advance to Double-A after holding his own as one of the youngest players in the Carolina League. He could get to Chicago quickly because manager Ozzie Guillen and hitting coach Greg Walker are absolutely in love with his potential.

2004 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB

Winston-Salem (Hi A) .283 .342 .379 515 71 146 22 3 7 66 40 65 8

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/feat...s/whitesox.html

Yes, the future is bright for Sweeney, the probably RF of the future. If I everything goes as planned, I can see him taking over the job in Chicago in 2007, when he will be 22. Coincidentally, Jermaine Dye's contract is up in 2006. Perfect timing it seems, perfect timing.

Sweeney was traded on January 3rd, 2008 along with Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos to Oakland for Nick Swisher.

• 2 months later...

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox spotlight: Ryan Sweeney

Young outfielder on the fast track to U.S. Cellular Field

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

TUSCON -- Playing in the Major League camp during Spring Training, 2004, without an official invitation, was a distinct thrill for minor leaguer Brian Anderson.

The White Sox's first-round pick from the 2003 First-Year Player Draft had the chance to face top Major League pitching, while learning the ins and outs of the game from his more accomplished teammates. But when asked for the high point from that brief ascension, a sly Anderson pointed to Ryan Sweeney, his friend and fellow minor league outfield phenom.

"My biggest memory was watching Sweeney never making an out," said Anderson with a laugh. "I gave him a hard time about that. Every time he got up to bat, he ended up on second or third base."

Anderson's assessment was a bit exaggerated but actually not that far removed from the truth. Sweeney hit .367 in 30 at-bats, with four RBIs and three doubles, including hits off the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano, LaTroy Hawkins and a ringing extra-base shot to right off Anaheim's Bartolo Colon. It was a composite effort that had manager Ozzie Guillen giving brief consideration to bringing Sweeney up to the Majors sooner rather than later.

The current Spring Training has moved into full swing, and Sweeney is part of the Major League roster once again -- only this time, he was given a non-roster invite instead of being used as a minor-league replacement. In the Cactus League opener against Colorado, Sweeney knocked out two hits in two at-bats and had three hits in his first six official at-bats.

As MLB.com takes a look at the White Sox's top prospect as part of the White Sox Spotlight, Sweeney appears to be picking up where he left off in 2004. Guillen will continue to give him the opportunity to produce these strong offensive numbers.

"He told us, 'I don't care how young you are. I'm going to try to give you as many chances as I can,'" said Sweeney, speaking of the message delivered by Guillen to himself and Anderson. "We have to prove ourselves. He's given us the opportunity, and now the ball is in our court."

The White Sox selected Sweeney in the second round of the same 2003 draft where Anderson was picked. The team was thrilled to get Anderson, but they were downright ecstatic when a player of first-round potential, in Sweeney, slipped to its second selection.

Since arriving with the White Sox, Sweeney has not disappointed. He hit .313 over 67 at-bats with Bristol in 2003, with two home runs and five RBIs, and followed up that effort with a .353 average in 34 at-bats for Great Falls that same season.

It was on to Class A Winston-Salem in 2004, playing as part of the talent-rich Carolina League. After hitting just .212 (14-for-66) in April, Sweeney picked up the pace and finished with a .283 average in 515 at-bats, as well as seven home runs, 66 RBIs, eight stolen bases and just 65 strikeouts. He hit .526 over his final five games.

The left-handed hitting Sweeney batted .293 against left-handed pitchers. He posted 39 multi-hit games, batted .293 with runners in scoring position and .303 with runners in scoring position and two outs.

Sweeney's performance was good enough to earn him the Best Hitter for Average and Best Outfield Arm rating in Baseball America's Best Tools Survey.

But Sweeney's showing stands out even more considering he was 19 years old at the time, just one year removed from Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

"It's amazing how far along he's come," said Anderson of Sweeney. "I didn't get a chance to see him in high school, but he did come on a recruiting trip to Arizona and I heard what a great player he was. For his age group, he's the best player I've ever seen, and I've been around a lot of good players at the University of Arizona.

"You look at his approach at the plate, without many at-bats, and his confidence in his ability. He stands out in that he already belongs. He doesn't look like a 20-year-old, making mistakes. He makes the same plays as veterans."

Sweeney actually turned 20 on Feb. 20, just one day before reporting to Spring Training. He understands the novelty of such a young person having such vast talent.

But he also knows that his life shows very little resemblance to that of your average 20-year-old.

"I had to grow up pretty quickly but it comes with the territory," said Sweeney, pointing out that he's taking batting practice with Paul Konerko and Aaron Rowand, while other 20-year-olds are preparing for finals in college. "I'm loving it, and it's been a dream come true -- a real blast."

White Sox bench coach Harold Baines, who also works with the outfielders, believes both Sweeney and Anderson have the potential to reach the Majors in one year if they continue to progress. Baines doesn't put any stock in using age as a barrier.

Baines was 21 when he reached the Majors, while Robin Yount and Al Kaline only were 18. It's handling that jump in competition that ultimately makes the difference.

"It's a whole different story once you step across the lines," Baines said. "And the higher you go, the tougher it's going to be."

"Sweeney looked like he was ready in Spring Training (of 2004), but there's a difference between spring and the regular season," Guillen added. "But this kid is outstanding."

Anderson has joked on a couple of occasions that Sweeney is treated like Guillen's son, and he's more like Guillen's stepson. Anderson also referred to himself as a bit of a bad influence on Sweeney, who is a little quieter than the gregarious first-round pick.

During the current Spring Training, Sweeney has been rooming with Josh Fields, who was the team's first-round selection in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft. The two go golfing, but try to stay within a budget when it comes to dining -- even with a higher per diem than they are accustomed to on the minor-league side.

The chances for extravagant spending will come, if Sweeney so desires. At 20 and still learning every day, Sweeney probably doesn't realize how much money a five-tool player ultimately is worth.

"I just worry about right now," Sweeney said. "I can't predict where they are going to put me (in 2005) or how much time I'm going to spend in the minors. I really have no say. I'm still trying to have fun and do my thing."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
BHAMBARONS, looks to me that Sweeney has bulked up a bit from what I remember him last spring and this spring? Any feedback? thks bud.

I asked him about that he said that he is "Just Filling Out". Hope that halps

Tom

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Aug 16, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
I asked him about that he said that he is "Just Filling Out".  Hope that halps

Tom

Thanks bro... it's good to see that his body is developing nicely. I think he will be in the 215-230 lb range.