Thank god

babybearhater

I like RotoWorlds take on this signing....

Eric Milton received a three-year, $25.5 million contract from the Reds.

$8.5 million per season for a pitcher with a career ERA of 4.76. This just might be the worst deal of the offseason, which is really saying something. Milton receives a $4 million signing bonus, $4 million in 2005, $8.5 million in 2006 and $9 million in 2007. He can opt out of the final year of the deal just in case he actually exceeds expectations. We put the chances of that happening at 1.9 percent. Dec. 27

I like RotoWorlds take on this signing....

Eric Milton received a three-year, $25.5 million contract from the Reds.

$8.5 million per season for a pitcher with a career ERA of 4.76. This just might be the worst deal of the offseason, which is really saying something. Milton receives a $4 million signing bonus, $4 million in 2005, $8.5 million in 2006 and $9 million in 2007. He can opt out of the final year of the deal just in case he actually exceeds expectations. We put the chances of that happening at 1.9 percent. Dec. 27

They'll surprise you at Rotoworld sometimes. One time they referred to KW's man-crush on Borch.

There have been more than one horrible contract this year. The money spent on some of thesemedoicre, or even some good but not great, players in simply unreal. I look at the Dodger signing of JD Drew and good ballplayer for sure, but $11M a year for 5 years for a guy who was injured lots and had only one real good season? And that season was last year. A history of being able to play a full season for more than one year is something I think a team should look at. Milton's contract sucks and so does some of the others. I am glad we don't overpay for mediocrity. But, I will say I wish we would pay for some of the better ones out there.

Would you rather have Milton or Benson for about the same cash? I really don't know. I'd choose neither were it an option but I'd take Milton at gunpoint simply because he's left-handed. As far as Junior Griffey's bad contract goes, yes it is high and unmoveable but Griff signed below market value. It's hard to fault Bowden or the Reds for bringing him in when you take away the supreme benefit of hindsight.

The Reds GM was on ESPN Radio All-Night last night and he and the host were talking about Milton like he was Roger Clemens circa 1986... It was insanity... the GM had this smug tone like he just pulled off a major coup... Not once did they mention his numbers... They were referring to him as an "elite" level FA...

The Reds GM was on ESPN Radio All-Night last night and he and the host were talking about Milton like he was Roger Clemens circa 1986... It was insanity... the GM had this smug tone like he just pulled off a major coup...  Not once did they mention his numbers... They were referring to him as an "elite" level FA...

Well you have to remember where he's going. I'm glad we didn't sign the guy. Milton may not be great, but he's certainly not that bad. I'm glad the Reds are at least trying.