Managing Faux Paus

Jim Fainter

It blows my mind how major league managers fall into a rut and do certain things that turn victory into defeat. JM is not the only guy. The latest was the Colorado-Houston game last night. The Rockettes had a 7-3 lead going into the Houston ninth inning. Rockette manager Clint Hurdle ( who I like(d) ) brings in his closer, Jose Jiminez. Now last year Jiminez did save 41 games, but he also showed a tendency to be really awful on occasion. Well, he did it again. Before you could say jerrymanuelsucks, Jiminez gives up six hits and one walk. Game over. He did get one out (sacrifice) after four straight hits. This is not the same thing as blowing a one run lead. This was a four run lead. Obviously Jiminez did not have it, but Manager Hurdle steadfastly leaves him in to the bitter end. I think if he had a twenty run lead he would have left him in to lose it. He was NOT going to take Jiminez out, no matter what. Is there a rule that I never heard about?: "Do not remove your closer when he is losing the game for you." The Rockettes have 12, count 'em, twelve 'big league' pitchers on the roster. If it is obvious that your main man just doesn't have it, take him out. Managers can't think anymore.

Didn't JM have the same thing happen to him last year?

It blows my mind how major league managers  fall into a rut and do certain things that turn victory into defeat.  JM is not the only guy.  The latest was the Colorado-Houston game last night.  The Rockettes had a 7-3 lead going into the Houston ninth inning.  Rockette manager Clint Hurdle ( who I like(d) ) brings in his closer, Jose Jiminez.  Now last year Jiminez did save 41 games, but he also showed a tendency to be really awful on occasion.  Well, he did it again.  Before you could say jerrymanuelsucks, Jiminez gives up six hits and one walk.  Game over.  He did get one out (sacrifice) after four straight hits.  This is not the same thing as blowing a one run lead.  This was a four run lead.  Obviously Jiminez did not have it, but Manager Hurdle steadfastly leaves him in to the bitter end.  I think if he had a twenty run lead he would have left him in to lose it.  He was NOT going to take Jiminez out, no matter what.  Is there a rule that I never heard about?:  "Do not remove your closer when he is losing the game for you."  The Rockettes have 12, count 'em, twelve 'big league' pitchers on the roster.  If it is obvious that your main man just doesn't have it, take him out.  Managers can't think anymore.

Didn't JM have the same thing happen to him last year?

Foulke in the Yankees series is most likely the game you are thinking of.

Guest wsc425

Today Williams changed his hitter and then the Rockies manager brought in his new pitcher and then Williams brought in his new hitter...it was wacky but it worked.