Relief Aid

KipWellsFan

courtesy New York Daily News

UN big calls U.S. miserly, & recants

BY HELEN KENNEDY

DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - A UN official who branded the United States "stingy" with aid backed down yesterday as the Bush administration more than doubled its contribution to nations devastated by Sunday's tsunamis.

"The United States is not stingy. We are the greatest contributor to international relief efforts in the world," bristled Secretary of State Powell on CNN.

"We will do more. I wish that comment hadn't been made," he added on ABC as he made the TV rounds to defend the administration's response.

The U.S. had initially said it would give $15 million to help the victims of the Asian catastrophe. Powell said yesterday another $20 million was on the way - part of a global outpouring that totals more than $100 million.

Jan Egeland, the UN's chief of emergency relief, had said Monday that rich nations like the U.S. are "stingy" for contributing only about 0.1% of their gross domestic product.

"I've been misinterpreted," Egeland said, insisting he didn't mean the response to the current catastrophe but annual aid payments. He called the American contribution to Asia's tsunami relief "one of the most generous pledges so far."

The United States, the world's largest economy, gives more total money than any other country, though others donate a larger proportion of their GDP.

Putting $35 million in perspective, Washington spends $177 million every day on the war in Iraq and President Bush's privately funded inauguration next month will cost $40 million.

The State Department said the American money will buy rice, water-purification equipment, blankets and water containers to help the immediate needs of the survivors left wandering amid wreckage and rotting corpses still clad in bathing suits.

Medical supplies also are being gathered to counter what could be an even more deadly related crisis: epidemics among those who survived the waves.

Cargo planes loaded with body bags and plastic sheeting that can provide shelter for 10,000 people are being flown to Indonesia.

An amphibious group carrying about 2,500 Marines from the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit was redirected from a port call in Guam in the northern Pacific to take part in relief efforts and the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln also left Hong Kong for the region.

Japan pledged $30 million and the European Commission will donate $30 million, as well as $3 million directly to the Red Cross.

Canada, Australia, Russia, Israel, Pakistan, China, Kuwait, the Netherlands and Singapore also pledged millions in aid.

Individuals in many First World countries also have opened their hearts and wallets, donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to private charities helping the desperate victims.

Originally published on December 28, 2004

What do you guys think? Shouldn't our governments be doing more?

Also if anyone knows a link that lists all the countries aid, please post it.

------------------

68,200 now dead http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...dead041228.html

There is also a good graphic of the tsunami's wrath, and a table showing which countries were hit hardest.

Edited by KipWellsFan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the US government has offered up $35 million right now?

Amazon.com has raised $1 million is donations so far.

I think something is off somewhere from our government. But hey, you can't expect us to pay to save lives when we are busy paying to take them away elsewhere. :headshake

European Union 33 million Euros (Approximately 45 million dollars, 10 mil more than the US) and an additional 3 million Euros ($4m) to the Red Cross for their needs in this crisis.

In addition to EU aid:

UK: Ten Million pounds. (19 million dollars)

Germany: Two million Euros (2.6 million dollars), Three planes.

France: 100,000 Euros (130K dollars), 10 tons of material aid and a team of 16 rescuers to affected areas.

Finland: 575,000 Euros (800K dollars), field hospital and 15 trained medical folk.

Czech Republic: 300,000 Euros (450k dollars), plane full of drinking water.

The US originally pledged 15 million dollars, the day after the UN director referred to the US as "stingy" with its aid, the US pledged another 20 million.

European Union 33 million Euros (Approximately 45 million dollars, 10 mil more than the US) and an additional 3 million Euros ($4m) to the Red Cross for their needs in this crisis.

In addition to EU aid:

France: 100,000 Euros (130K dollars), 10 tons of material aid and a team of 16 rescuers to affected areas.

Finland: 575,000 Euros (800K dollars), field hospital and 15 trained medical folk.

The US originally pledged 15 million dollars, the day after the UN director referred to the US as "stingy" with its aid, the US pledged another 20 million.

Thanks. I guess there's no hope for a return on investment with this money.

I dun follow. It's emergency aid. The return on investment has everything to do with better relationships with governments and a better PR picture for the government - something that the US forgot to realize this week when they let the President go mountain biking for half the week before making a statement, personally. With 100K dead easily, and as of last night another island of 60,000 people nobody has heard from at all since the Tsunami, it doesn't help our image abroad.

I dun follow. It's emergency aid. The return on investment has everything to do with better relationships with governments and a better PR picture for the government - something that the US forgot to realize this week when they let the President go mountain biking for half the week before making a statement, personally. With 100K dead easily, and as of last night another island of 60,000 people nobody has heard from at all since the Tsunami, it doesn't help our image abroad.

You didn't follow, alright. I was b****-slapping the powers that be.

Its sad that $35 million and all of our international relief agencies that operate out of the US being sent to help these people is hurting our image. Its one of those things where no matter what the US does, people will be pissed off.

Its sad that $35 million and all of our international relief agencies that operate out of the US being sent to help these people is hurting our image.  Its one of those things where no matter what the US does, people will be pissed off.

Our government throws away so many dollars needlessly .... Yet when we have a catastrophe of almost biblical proportions, they start squeezing the buck. This is when the US of A needs to step up.

In addition to EU aid:

I hate France, always complaining about the U.S. and look, they aren't contributing a lot themselves. They should look at themselves in the mirror. Idiots. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're helping, but I don't want to hear about the U.S. not helping out.

...something that the US forgot to realize this week when they let the President go mountain biking for half the week before making a statement, personally.

What good would 'making a statement' do? About as much good as all those pretty ribbons on the back of cars. Nothing. We donated money, sent troops to help (which costs money), and our individual citizens will end up donating even more money, supplies and help. We are the first country everyone turns to for help, but the last one they want to help in kind. Did Florida get 'relief' from India, or Spain for all its hurricanes? I have no problem helping, but if our help isn't 'enough' , they can go get f***ed. Oh wait, they already are. :finger

The one who complained was Swedish.

ss2k4: The complaint about the Bush administration saying nothing - was just that. That he couldn't deign to speak on the issue until people started complaining about the fact that he couldn't even offer official condolences on behalf of the American people. How many world leaders went mountain biking on 9/11? Not many and certainly none who lead countries with anything close to the power that we hold. To a lot of countries around the Indian Ocean - where the prospect of Terrorism is a real possibility, this is way bigger than 9/11. If the guy we elected to lead this country as seen as uncaring, how does this help us abroad?

These kind of PR mistakes, and I do think that they are honest mistakes, do a lot more to give "aid and comfort" to the enemy than Michael Moore complaining about a heavy handed Bush policy. With the fight we're in, we're going to create some recruitment tools for terrorists - that's inevitable. We don't need to create more by our President seeming callous to the death of hundreds of thousands.

What good would 'making a statement' do?  About as much good as all those pretty ribbons on the back of cars.  Nothing.  We donated money, sent troops to help (which costs money), and our individual citizens will end up donating even more money, supplies and help.  We are the first country everyone turns to for help, but the last one they want to help in kind.  Did Florida get 'relief' from India, or Spain for all its hurricanes?  I have no problem helping, but if our help isn't 'enough' , they can go get f***ed.  Oh wait, they already are.  :finger

Actually, after 9/11, NATO invoked the mutual attack clause of its charter, and aid was offered from everywhere. Even Cuba.

The one who complained was Swedish.

ss2k4: The complaint about the Bush administration saying nothing - was just that. That he couldn't deign to speak on the issue until people started complaining about the fact that he couldn't even offer official condolences on behalf of the American people. How many world leaders went mountain biking on 9/11? Not many and certainly none who lead countries with anything close to the power that we hold. To a lot of countries around the Indian Ocean - where the prospect of Terrorism is a real possibility, this is way bigger than 9/11. If the guy we elected to lead this country as seen as uncaring, how does this help us abroad?

These kind of PR mistakes, and I do think that they are honest mistakes, do a lot more to give "aid and comfort" to the enemy than Michael Moore complaining about a heavy handed Bush policy. With the fight we're in, we're going to create some recruitment tools for terrorists - that's inevitable. We don't need to create more by our President seeming callous to the death of hundreds of thousands.

Just like anything, people are going to take what they want out of this... $35 million is too cheap, Bush doesn't care about that part of the world etc.

A good point was made about France giving only about $140,000 or so. Why didn't the Sweede call them cheap? I doubt the GDP of France is about 1/300th of the US's. Why didn't the Sweede mention all of the US dominated relief agencies who are going to make up the vast majority of the funds and aid that goes to the region? It is all another attempt to politicize this tragedy for someone's or something's personal gain. And that is just damned sad.

What good would 'making a statement' do?  About as much good as all those pretty ribbons on the back of cars.  Nothing.  We donated money, sent troops to help (which costs money), and our individual citizens will end up donating even more money, supplies and help.  We are the first country everyone turns to for help, but the last one they want to help in kind.  Did Florida get 'relief' from India, or Spain for all its hurricanes?  I have no problem helping, but if our help isn't 'enough' , they can go get f***ed.  Oh wait, they already are.  :finger

We, Americans, are despised throughout the world because of the heavy handed attitude of this administration. This was an opportunity for Bush to step and be a world "leader" in a positive way. But no. He's only a "leader" when he's f***ing over someone. Whether it be another country or the American people.

We, Americans, are despised throughout the world because of the heavy handed attitude of this administration.  This was an opportunity for Bush to step and be a world "leader" in a positive way.  But no.  He's only a "leader" when he's f***ing over someone.  Whether it be another country or the American people.

I think the tsunami did the 'f***ing' here...not Bush.

EM

Just like anything, people are going to take what they want out of this...  $35 million is too cheap, Bush doesn't care about that part of the world etc.

A good point was made about France giving only about $140,000 or so.  Why didn't the Sweede call them cheap?  I doubt the GDP of France is about 1/300th of the US's.  Why didn't the Sweede mention all of the US dominated relief agencies who are going to make up the vast majority of the funds and aid that goes to the region?  It is all another attempt to politicize this tragedy for someone's or something's personal gain.  And that is just damned sad.

Actually, the Swedish dude called us cheap when we pledged 15 million dollars. France is one of the top three or four economic engines of the EU, I'd be willing to bet that a fair amount of aid from the EU is coming directly from France.

However, I do think that Chirac is a chintzy piece of crap. But if the UN guy said that, something tells me we wouldn't hear about it. After all, France doesn't quite hold the same sway in the world, as much as they might like to think they do.