Jason Kidd

Is there a coach that this guy ever liked? It's been about 5 years since he played for Skiles and he still won't let it go.

:fyou Jason Kidd.

Kidd gloves off in eternal feud

By K.C. Johnson

Tribune staff reporter

December 28, 2004

Jason Kidd picked at an old scab Tuesday night, opening a wound that dates back to when he played almost two full seasons for Scott Skiles in Phoenix.

"He's the reason I'm in New Jersey," Kidd said. "People link me to getting him fired. I wasn't there.

"I really don't care about him. He always wanted to beat me. He always thought he was better than me. But that's just the way it goes with Skiles."

Kidd got traded from Phoenix in July 2001. Skiles departed as coach of the Suns 51 games into the 2001-02 season. Earlier that season, Kidd taunted Skiles in a Nets' victory over Phoenix.

Skiles disputed Kidd's claim that he engineered the trade that netted Phoenix Stephon Marbury.

"I'm not sure where he gets that from," Skiles said. "It was an organizational thing. I will suit up and go to battle with Jason Kidd any day of the week."

That's the high road that Skiles has been on regarding Kidd since shortly after re-entering the league in December 2003. The Bulls played in New Jersey on Dec. 23, 2003, and both Kidd and Skiles were complimentary of each other.

Apparently, a year has loosened Kidd's lips.

"He has no impact on how I feel about the Bulls or anything else," Kidd said. "It's just a matter of what he has done behind the scenes. You can ask his team. Ask Eddy Curry and all those guys how they feel about him."

Curry has had the most friction with Skiles but, at least publicly, has spoken positively of him. So have most of his Bulls teammates.

Kidd recently called Skiles "a back-stabber" in an interview with the New York Daily News. That prompted the fresh questioning about Kidd's feelings for Skiles on Tuesday.

Skiles acted bemused the subject had resurfaced.

"I thought [our relationship] was great when I was there," Skiles said. "I guess I found out a couple years ago it wasn't so great from his perspective. We went through a lot together. He was a first-team All-NBA player for me, an All-Star, had great years. I'm a big fan of his."

Kidd, who has a reputation as a coach killer, did offer Skiles one compliment, agreeing with recent comments Portland guard Damon Stoudamire made that Skiles' offensive sets display creativity.

"Skiles has all the plays," Kidd said. "He has a playbook that he probably has had for years. He has all the plays, all the counters."

But the iciness in his tone as Kidd made his other comments displayed his true feelings.

Asked if he knew why their relationship had soured, Skiles laughed.

"Yeah, we traded him," he said. "It's not brain surgery."

Does that deterioration bother Skiles?

"Not really," he said. "If every single player you ever coached is happy with you, you're probably doing something seriously wrong. I really don't give it a whole lot of thought."

That's something on which Kidd and Skiles can agree.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

I remember almost 10 years ago that Mavericks were going to be the up and coming team. Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, and Jim Jackson were going to lead that team. Those 3 couldn't get along and all 3 were traded in a years span or so. Kidd has a hard time with getting along with other players and coaches.

I remember almost 10 years ago that Mavericks were going to be the up and coming team. Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, and Jim Jackson were going to lead that team. Those 3 couldn't get along and all 3 were traded in a years span or so. Kidd has a hard time with getting along with other players and coaches.

The up and coming team. :lol:

Not without a 4/5 combo or a bench. In their prime, they might have contended for the 8th seed.

But yeah, I was like 13 or 14 years old back when they put that team together, so I didn't know any better. I bought into the hype.

Kidd/Jefferson/Carter: Grown men think that's a winning formula. LMAO.

If they had any sort of front court they would be a team to reckon with in my opinion. They have the best 1,2,3 in the east and probally second in the nba behind the suns.

I hear that, but their 4/5 rotation is the worst in the NBA as far as I can tell. Krstic and Collins....ugh.

And their bench? Quite possibly the worst in NBA history. Sounds like a hyperbole, but I'm trying to be as conservative as possible.

Travis Best

Rodney Buford

Kaniel Dickens

Jerome Moiso

Zoran Planinic

Brian Scalabrine

Jabari Smith

Jacque Vaughn

It could never, ever, ever be worse than that. There's just no way.

And yet, you will hear people talk about this team being a playoff contender. I would very much like to moon those people.

The up and coming team. :lol:

Not without a 4/5 combo or a bench.  In their prime, they might have contended for the 8th seed. 

But yeah, I was like 13 or 14 years old back when they put that team together, so I didn't know any better.  I bought into the hype.

Kidd/Jefferson/Carter: Grown men think that's a winning formula.  LMAO.

Popeye Jones had a career year during that. Had the most offensive rebounds in the league, and Roy Tarpley had a good year also, but could've had a good career if he didn't get into drugs. So those are your 4 and 5.

Popeye Jones had a career year during that. Had the most offensive rebounds in the league, and Roy Tarpley had a good year also, but could've had a good career if he didn't get into drugs. So those are your 4 and 5.

Yeah, Tarpley came back for one year in 94-95 after a 3 year NBA hiatus, and he was decent. But one season, after three years off? We're talking about building...that seems more like a sorry excuse for a stop-gap maneuver to me. And Popeye Jones has always been decent...there's no question about that. But the guy was never good enough to be a starter. Good bench player.

Here's the 94-95 Mavericks in all of their glory:

1994-1995 Dallas Mavericks

Where's the beef?

Yeah, Tarpley came back for one year in 94-95 after a 3 year NBA hiatus, and he was decent.  But one season, after three years off?  We're talking about building...that seems more like a sorry excuse for a stop-gap maneuver to me.  And Popeye Jones has always been decent...there's no question about that.  But the guy was never good enough to be a starter.  Good bench player.

Here's the 94-95 Mavericks in all of their glory:

1994-1995 Dallas Mavericks

Where's the beef?

The bottom line is that we'll never know how good that team could've been. I'm not saying they'd win the championship, but in their first year together, they finished 10th in the Western Conference, and had more wins in that year than the previous 2 years combined. I think it was like 12 more wins or something.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 29, 2004 -> 04:28 PM)
I hear that, but their 4/5 rotation is the worst in the NBA as far as I can tell. Krstic and Collins....ugh.

And their bench? Quite possibly the worst in NBA history. Sounds like a hyperbole, but I'm trying to be as conservative as possible.

Travis Best

Rodney Buford

Kaniel Dickens

Jerome Moiso

Zoran Planinic

Brian Scalabrine

Jabari Smith

Jacque Vaughn

It could never, ever, ever be worse than that. There's just no way.

And yet, you will hear people talk about this team being a playoff contender. I would very much like to moon those people.

i've never even heard of half those guys, thats pathetic (i dont think im the only one who doesn't know those guys) their big 3 will win some games but not bring them to the playoffs