WHY?!!

CWSOX45

Why is Konerko swinging at the first pitch?!! Ascencio walked Frank on four pitches and Maggs and Paulie hack and don't even make him pitch. I don't understand how Major League players make mistakes like this.

Anyway 4-5, let's pull this one out.

CWSOX45

No patience. It's called pressing.

Going back to second half of 2000, this has been my beef with our "Murderer's Row": inability to see the breaking pitch; to lay off it; swingig for the fences. Give Carlos Lee 4 rolling curve balls and he will hit 4 homers, but give him 4 pitcher's pitches, and he will make 4 ugly outs. Ditto for Val, Pailie, (then) Ray Durham, Hurt and to some extent Maggs. Outside of Crede (though I'd like to see him walk once in a while), we are a great mediocre pitching hitting team. Against good pitching we suck.

I guess fouling off tough pitches with shortened swings and letting mediocre pitchers beat themselves is for suckers like Minnesota and Anaherim. We absolutely must put a huge HR swing with 2 strikes every.single.time.

ETA: Carlos Lee has improved in walk/OBP department in the 2nd haf of 02...BUT he still has ways to go: last couple of SO's he he swung at 4 ball 4s on 3-2 count, against mediocre pitchers at that. That' 2 walks (and 2 extra baserunners in a close game as far as the team is concerned) wasted right there. By comparison, Robbie Alomar must have taken about 4-5 close-call balls from very tough Mark Prior in today's game alone. Common, Carlos, stop beating yourself...Alas, you can't teach an "eye", but you can teach someone to stop f***ing with the fences ALL THE DAMN TIME. Even Thome shortens his swing occasionally.

I am watching Randa as I type engaged in a 12-pitch battle against tough Gordon. Carlos, you have more talent than Randa, but he can teach you a thing or two.