AJ's "Second Chance"

beck72

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I've been over at the other board for awhile and smetimes need a break from some it.  I've been lurking a bit and like what I see.

Bob

I hope to see you posting more, Bob.

You're one of the better posters over at WSI, not critical of every Kenny Williams' move, but you tell it like you see it. Like I said, I hope to see you postin' here more often.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :headbang :cheers

That's the biggest reason I was hoping we could sign the 2B.  A signing like that could give us an edge when a big named player decides to come to the states, such as that big named pitcher (the name escapes me) that wants to come here next year.

That would be Daisuke Matsuzaka, Gene and I are very high on him. He re-signed for the 2005 season in Japan but will be a free agent in the next off-season. He was with the Japanese Olympic Baseball Team this year as well.

He's only 24, and if there's an opening in our rotation for 2006, he'd be an ideal guy to look at. Here are his stats for the past few seasons.

2003 - 16-7, 2.83 ERA, 63 BB's, 215 K's, 13 HR's given up in 29 games.

2004 - 10-6, 2.90 ERA, 42 BB's, 127 K's, 7 HR's given up in 23 games.

"Without question he could pitch in the major leagues," U.S. manager Bruce Bochy said after the game. "He has four major league pitches, and has a good idea of what he's doing on the mound. It's hard to compare him to anybody because of his unique delivery."

He reportedly (I haven’t seen him) throws 96mph with a plus fastball and the infamous gyroball, a bizarre double-spin screwball. You can check out Matsuzaka’s stats here. And here’s a good story with picture at the Japan Times Online. He’s had pretty good results – using that site’s admittedly inaccurate stats, he’s running over a 2:1 K:BB ratio. I’m a little worried about the crazy number of complete games, and whether his arm’s potentially shredded already after being ridden at a level that would be a felony in most American states. He threw 249 pitches in a 17 inning complete game in high school. 249!

But here’s the thing. Dude is 24. Eeeeeeeeeeeeyup.

Also found this from the same article I was looking at on ESPN about Iguchi;

Tadahito Iguchi (Daiei Hawks): A second baseman with tremendous speed. He stole 42 bases in 2003 and it was his second stolen base title. His fielding would also be above average. However, he has been playing on artificial turf. He could struggle on natural grass, just like Kaz Matsui did wth the Mets.

He has some power, but he will mainly be the type of player who hits between the gaps. He cares about on-base percentage (his OBP for 2003 season was .438) more than hits and home runs, so he could transfer from the middle of the lineup to the leadoff spot.

His career batting average is .271 with 149 home runs and 507 RBI. He's played for the Daiei Hawks for eight seasons.

The more I read about Pierzynski and Iguchi, the more I want both of them. How possible is it that both of these guys sign with The Sox? I, in all honesty think Jerry would open the wallet here? Is this wishful thinking or am I nuts?

Realistically payroll could be up to $80 million if both of those moves happen. Pierzynski and Iguchi together could cost from $6 to $8 million, while Rowand is going to get a raise in arbitration as well. It all depends on what JR wants to do, and whether or not he's willing to go with this, if he thinks these extra moves could help put us over the top in the division.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
Realistically payroll could be up to $80 million if both of those moves happen. Pierzynski and Iguchi together could cost from $6 to $8 million, while Rowand is going to get a raise in arbitration as well. It all depends on what JR wants to do, and whether or not he's willing to go with this, if he thinks these extra moves could help put us over the top in the division.

If the sox got both AJ and Iguchi, Everett could be dealt for a prospect or two. Then his $4 mill salary would be off the books. With adding offense at both of those spots, Carl's bat is less needed. And they should be able to get talent comparable to Rauch and Majewski. Carl's bat and power could be coveted by a small market club

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-DBAH0+Jan 1, 2005 -> 03:14 AM-->
QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
<!--QuoteEBegin--> Realistically payroll could be up to $80 million if both of those moves happen. Pierzynski and Iguchi together could cost from $6 to $8 million, while Rowand is going to get a raise in arbitration as well. It all depends on what JR wants to do, and whether or not he's willing to go with this, if he thinks these extra moves could help put us over the top in the division.

If the sox got both AJ and Iguchi, Everett could be dealt for a prospect or two. Then his $4 mill salary would be off the books. With adding offense at both of those spots, Carl's bat is less needed. And they should be able to get talent comparable to Rauch and Majewski. Carl's bat and power could be coveted by a small market club

The problem is with dealing Everett at the moment is that there are still FA outfielders available for around the same price range, such as Danny Bautista and Jeromy Burnitz and there are probably better trade options out there for a team looking for an outfielder like Eric Byrnes, Larry Bigbie or Luis Matos.

I just don't know if there's going to be that much of a market for Everett and if the return of probably prospects for KW to accept that type of deal, especially after he's given up 5 prospects for him before-hand.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)

The problem is with dealing Everett at the moment is that there are still FA outfielders available for around the same price range, such as Danny Bautista and Jeromy Burnitz and there are probably better trade options out there for a team looking for an outfielder like Eric Byrnes, Larry Bigbie or Luis Matos.

I just don't know if there's going to be that much of a market for Everett and if the return of probably prospects for KW to accept that type of deal, especially after he's given up 5 prospects for him before-hand.

I disagree. Burnitz is looking for a multiyr deal for big bucks. Everett is versatile and can put up power numbers in LF or RF, and a 1 yr deal w/o giving up talent via trade isn't a bad way to go. His $4 mill looks like a bargain for a team in need of a bat. I always thought Carl would be good fit for the Cubs. Esp as Sammy will likely be on the DL after another big sneeze :D

I don't think KW is in the business of saving face. He needs to field a competive team w/o breaking the bank. W/ these talked about moves, the sox would come close to "breaking the bank" and have a $4 mill a yr bench guy.

QUOTE (trexer @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
A.J. is a cancerous troll and as such has no business on the White Sox.

Welcome to Sox talk :headbang

But neither you or I know the true extent of AJ's "problems". It's documented that he had some problems in SF. But not in Minn. Should a guy's career be tarnished over 1 yr, when he wasn't a "cancer" his previous 4 yrs or so?

This is no different than when the Bulls brought in Dennis Rodman. He was hated by everyone on the Bulls when he was with the Pistons. The Bulls talked with Michael, Scottie,... and then agreed to sign him. Even though he caused a lot of chaos while here, they won 3 championships with him. AJ is the same type of player Rodman was. He gets in the head of the opponent and takes them out of their game. We need some character, heart, and passion on this team and he will give us that and it will spill over to other Sox players. We won't have anyone being plowed over at the plate without getting drilled the next time up if AJ is here.

KW would not have offered him a contract (which I am sure is loaded with incentives) without getting a real good feeling from his talks with AJ and Sox players. Go Get Him!!

QUOTE (trexer @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
A.J. is a cancerous troll and as such has no business on the White Sox.

Cancerous prick, you mean?

The same has been said about Frank Thomas in the past, though.

All that I ask of AJ is that he prepares like a professional. I have no sympathy for someone who goes into battle half-assed.

QUOTE (Cleats67 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
This is no different than when the Bulls brought in Dennis Rodman. He was hated by everyone on the Bulls when he was with the Pistons. The Bulls talked with Michael, Scottie,... and then agreed to sign him. Even though he caused a lot of chaos while here, they won 3 championships with him. AJ is the same type of player Rodman was. He gets in the head of the opponent and takes them out of their game. We need some character, heart, and passion on this team and he will give us that and it will spill over to other Sox players. We won't have anyone being plowed over at the plate without getting drilled the next time up if AJ is here.

The difference is that the bulls would of won those Championships with or without Rodman. The bulls were already in a position to win it all. Rodman was just the icing on the cake. It is highly unlikely this team in it's current state is going to win the World Series. Will adding AJ make us that team? Maybe... However to compare us to the Bulls signing Rodman just doesn't make much sense.

QUOTE (Jeckle2000 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Cleats67+Jan 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteEBegin--> This is no different than when the Bulls brought in Dennis Rodman. He was hated by everyone on the Bulls when he was with the Pistons. The Bulls talked with Michael, Scottie,... and then agreed to sign him. Even though he caused a lot of chaos while here, they won 3 championships with him. AJ is the same type of player Rodman was. He gets in the head of the opponent and takes them out of their game. We need some character, heart, and passion on this team and he will give us that and it will spill over to other Sox players. We won't have anyone being plowed over at the plate without getting drilled the next time up if AJ is here.

The difference is that the bulls would of won those Championships with or without Rodman. The bulls were already in a position to win it all. Rodman was just the icing on the cake. It is highly unlikely this team in it's current state is going to win the World Series. Will adding AJ make us that team? Maybe... However to compare us to the Bulls signing Rodman just doesn't make much sense.

:huh: No way the bulls would have won those championships without Rodman.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeckle2000+Jan 2, 2005 -> 03:48 AM-->
QUOTE (Jeckle2000 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 03:48 AM)
<!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Cleats67+Jan 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteEBegin--> This is no different than when the Bulls brought in Dennis Rodman. He was hated by everyone on the Bulls when he was with the Pistons. The Bulls talked with Michael, Scottie,... and then agreed to sign him. Even though he caused a lot of chaos while here, they won 3 championships with him. AJ is the same type of player Rodman was. He gets in the head of the opponent and takes them out of their game. We need some character, heart, and passion on this team and he will give us that and it will spill over to other Sox players. We won't have anyone being plowed over at the plate without getting drilled the next time up if AJ is here.

:huh: No way the bulls would have won those championships without Rodman.

we all love the worm, but you could swap any number of solid rebounders with Dennis, and the bulls still wouda won.

wouldnt have been as fun to watch, but still wouda been fine.

Same with Longley and Harper.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
we all love the worm, but you could swap any number of solid rebounders with Dennis, and the bulls still wouda won.

wouldnt have been as fun to watch, but still wouda been fine.

Same with Longley and Harper.

Exactly my point. Jordan and Pippen are the only irreplacable members of that team. Any of the other ones could have been replaced.

I disagree. the rodman comparison works. Rodman was a perfect complimentary player to the Bulls team, he filled a very big need. His fire and energy allowed MJ and Pip 2nd and 3rd shots. Few players in the league could match his rebounding skills, which is what the Bulls needed

Is AJ another complimentary player for the Sox? Could be. He'd be filling a big need at C, with his O, his LH bat, and possibly his attitude. There are few ML C's who can hit .300 from the LH side, with big game experience like AJ. My take on AJ is he doesn't like to lose. Part of the problem is guys on the Sox have accepted losing as "part of the game". Losing is part of the game if you are overmatched talent wise say in TB or in Pitt. But when a team like the Sox have the talent but still don't win, that goes to the teams' heart and desire to win.

Lots of interesting analogies, I have to agree with both sides of the Rodman comp, yes unlike the Sox the Bulls were already a championship caliber team and another may have been able to provide the rebounding but it was the also the winning attitude, speed, and D that he brought. He was also available(because of his problems) and at a cap friendly price unlike say Carl Malone who we also coulda won 3 straight with but he wasn't available(likewise Veritek would be great but AJ is the reality option who brings what we need).

Another thing about AJ and why I'd like him on our team I have to go back to the most pivotol game in the most pivotol series in the 35 yrs I've been a Sox fan, Sep. 9th 2003. Yes we won that game but after an entire season of struggling to drive the runner in from 3rd(esp. with one out) AJ would put on a clinic on what to do with a man on 3rd(and how to be a winner) grounding out to 2nd to drive in one, hitting a SF to drive in another and stepping into an 0-2 pitch to keep a 2-out rally alive on a third. As I said, we won that game.........on the long ball, but not til after a reliever named Jose Paniagua had a complete meltdown on the mound and a dramatic HR by CLee to which JM after the game decided to glorify the longball by declaring CLee his 4th MVP candidate in 3 weeks. The rest as they say is history, the next day the Twinks would drive in 2 in the 5th inning on 2 SF's breaking a scoreless tie while we would fail 3 times to drive in the runner from 3rd and lose the game 4-1 along with maybe our best chance at a WS title.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
:huh:  No way the bulls would have won those championships without Rodman.

That's exactly right. Dennis Rodman is the greatest defensive power forward of all time.

If someone can name a power forward in the history of the NBA who was better defensively, I'm all ears.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
That's exactly right.  Dennis Rodman is the greatest defensive power forward of all time. 

If someone can name a power forward in the history of the NBA who was better defensively, I'm all ears.

The only player I've ever seen who could guard Shaq.