Better Focus

Texsox

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Ha interesting point...

H: 46-35

A: 37-44

In 2005, I think that we have the potential to post a sub .500 record at home and an above .500 record on the road.

That would be completely retarded if it were to happen, but I can see the potential with Mark and Freddy on the road.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Or we could just blow it off the map.  I'll pitch in for dynamite.

OK but we'll have the test the TNT first. You hold it.:P

Seriously, we need more that one year and one group of players to really see the impact of the new roof. At least let them finish the new seats.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
Here ya go:

Road

Home

See, that's why Contreras is such a total f***ing anomaly.

Only Jose Contreras could post an ERA that was better at US Cellular than on the road. Contreras can be awesome. Then again, he can be terrible, too.

If Contreras can keep his mentality strong, I'm tellin ya -- we have a sub-3.50 ERA pitcher on our hand. No one can hit him when he's got his splitter complimenting that fastball...

It seems our pen had serious issues on the road. Hell, Mike Jackson had the third best road ERA.

Takatsu: 2.51

Marte: 2.78

Jackson: 4.64

Diaz: 6.14 (6 games, 2 starts)

Politte: 6.14 (WHIP 2.09; 15 BB 22.0 IP)

Adkins: 6.66 (.343 BAA)

Cotts: 7.07 (27 games, 1 start; 9 HR)

Koch: 7.59 (9 BB, 9 K, 10.2 IP)

Bajenaru: 7.94

Stewart: 12.46 (2 games, 1 start)

Muñoz: 13.97 (7 games, 1 start)

It seems our pen had serious issues on the road. Hell, Mike Jackson had the third best road ERA.

Takatsu: 2.51

Marte: 2.78

Jackson: 4.64

Diaz: 6.14 (6 games, 2 starts)

Politte: 6.14 (WHIP 2.09; 15 BB 22.0 IP)

Adkins: 6.66 (.343 BAA)

Cotts: 7.07 (27 games, 1 start; 9 HR)

Koch: 7.59 (9 BB, 9 K, 10.2 IP)

Bajenaru: 7.94

Stewart: 12.46 (2 games, 1 start)

Muñoz: 13.97 (7 games, 1 start)

Yeah, but with the exception of Marte and Shingo, those guys would have serious issues anywhere. The rookies get a pass because they're just that...rookies.

The two keepers from the bunch had stellar road performances. Shingo was outstanding at home and on the road, actually.

Hopefully, Vizcaino and Hermanson will be right around 3.50 on the road next year, or better. Then we'll improve on that crappy 37-44 record.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)

Yeah, but with the exception of Marte and Shingo, those guys would have serious issues anywhere. The rookies get a pass because they're just that...rookies.

The two keepers from the bunch had stellar road performances. Shingo was outstanding at home and on the road, actually.

Hopefully, Vizcaino and Hermanson will be right around 3.50 on the road next year, or better. Then we'll improve on that crappy 37-44 record.

They should, I think our pen will be greatly improved this year

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
cotts got the era after his start... and adkins was really pitching hurt about the whole year... baj looked good in the minors but he was pretty bad in the majors.

Yeah but normally rookies dont come right in and dominate

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
cotts got the era after his start... and adkins was really pitching hurt about the whole year... baj looked good in the minors but he was pretty bad in the majors.

Ok....6.39 ERA in relief appearances on the road....

And here I thought he was doing bad in relief on the road....

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)

This is a far cry from last season where we were resting our hope on Scott Schoenweis as #4 (a one time failed starter turned middle reliever repurposed into a starter again) and Danny Wright as #5 (a pitcher better suited for the bullpen than as a starter)

It's amusing to me that Sox management decides that a power filled lineup doesnt work and we need a new direction , when clearly, if we had a better pitching staff all along we would've competed. Saying the power lineup got us nowhere is just managements attempt to redirect the blame away from themselves for not getting the Sox better pitching.

Been following the thread since my last post and mostly all seem to agree the pitching sucked wether at home or on the road with the exception of MB and FG on the road . Blame "the Cell" if u want but we won more at home then on the road . And if " the Cell" plays so favorably to power why are we changing our team to one that can hit to one with speed ? Yea we upgraded the pitching and that was my whole point , we needed to do that and we would have competed much better had we had the pitching along with the power lineup.

Dont see how not having Maggs and CLee who both hit for avg and power will help the offense become any more consistent unless u mean consistently scoring less runs.

Seems to me the pitching was a lot more inconsistent then the hitting .

We argue back and forth on wether the pitching or hitting was more "inconsistent" , but manngement's spin that it was the hitting is just that , pure spin . They've done a great job at covering their own asses on the failures of the past.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)

Ok....6.39 ERA in relief appearances on the road....

And here I thought he was doing bad in relief on the road....

hey i know baj posts here and all and seems like a pretty much good guy but of all the people in the bullpen that stayed of any extended time at all he was prob the worse. Hell Borchard seems like a good guy too so would it be wrong to say he sucked in the majors too?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Yeah Baj didn't pitch well. You can't read everyone on a Sept callup either.

His numbers were poor, however he didn't pitch that bad, he had a lot of bad luck, a lot of balls that were hit soft got through on him.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
Management is covering their asses with spin?

I see it like this. They are identifying what went wrong last year and trying to go out and change some of the things that faltered.

Which is the correct thing to do. Unfortunatly we do not have a pile of money to go fix things. We have to sell some assets. Power was what we have a surplus of.