On Black Betsy's Blog...

Heads22

Well, I've never understood that Bonilla for DeLeon trade.

The most positive way to look at it is that we got DeLeon, and then eventually Lance Johnson, for basically free.

Otherwise...you are right. Bonilla was a stud for quite a few years, and all Hawk got for him was a reliever. It's kind of hard to understand.

http://blackbetsy.blogspot.com

Read the second entry down. A piece on Hawk's tenure as GM that was a different look than I had eever read. It's a good read whether you agree or not.

It sure gave me a different perspective. But Hawks tenure was also about the deals that didn't get made. I seem to remember an 11 player for 8 player deal that never got made? Can anyone help me out with that one???

The reasons I remember Hawk's GM days as a mess were:

The feuding with LaRussa - Hawk seemed intent on undermining Tony rather than working with him

The focus on himself, as mentioned before - he seemed to be in the papers constantly and it must have distracted the team somewhat.

I can't really blame him for the Fisk-to-LF debacle. That appeared to be more LaRussa-driven, unless I'm forgetting something ( which at my advanced age is entirely possible... :D )

I always got the feeling that Hawk didn't want to be the GM.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2004 -> 08:43 PM)
It sure gave me a different perspective. But Hawks tenure was also about the deals that didn't get made. I seem to remember an 11 player for 8 player deal that never got made? Can anyone help me out with that one???

There was a deal that year that didn't get made. Andre Dawson was supposed to come to the Sox for some minor leaguers. It was so close to being done that Dawson took batting practice in Montreal with a Sox hat on. It might have prevented Dawson from signing that blank contract and winning the MVP with the Cubs the next season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Andre Dawson was supposed to come to the Sox for some minor leaguers. It was so close to being done that Dawson took batting practice in Montreal with a Sox hat on.

Son of a b****! :bang

I did not know that.

Black Betsy and Cheat have two of the best baseball blogs that you'll ever come across. Great stuff, fellas. :headbang