Top 5 Albums of 2004

Gene Honda Civic

I figured we needed one of these too... the only problem is I didn't buy 5 albums in 2004. :ph34r:

Off the top of my head some of the best stuff I have downloaded or bought (no particular order)

Modest Mouse -- Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Tegan and Sara -- So Jealous

Green Day -- American Idiot -- This is hard for me to admit. It always seemed to me that the Chicago area punk scene hated Green Day. It's been my birthright to call these guys sellouts and overrated, but this is a f***ing quality album

Brian Wilson -- Smile

Kanye West -- College Dropout

Dispatch -- All Points Bulliten (just because I'll never have another new one)

Oops, I forgot Wilco -- That's what happens when you don't buy the album kids -- Not quite as good as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but solid nonetheless.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

I didn't purchase anything new in 2004, but I purchased somewhere between 250 and 300 records, traded for close to 200 classic rock bootlegs, and added between 40 to 50 dub reggae albums (what I'm after first and foremost in the past couple years, very hard to track down), so from that pool, I'd have to go with these five:

1. Tom Petty- Live In Tuscaloosa 2CD (1995)

2. Keith Hudson- Pick A Dub (1974)

3. Overton Berry Trio- At The Doubletree Inn LP (1970)

4. Revolutionaries- Dub Plate Special (1974)

5. Dereliks- Change For The Bus Ride (1995)

I felt the exact opposite about American Idiot.

With the exception of the title song, I found the CD kinda dull.

Too much mid-tempo, acoustic-driven stuff for my tastes.

My favorite disc of the year was definitely Rise Against's "Siren Song For The Counter Culture" - it's still in my CD player most of the time.

Can't wait til Feb 19th, when Rise Against rocks the Metro!

:headbang

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I felt the exact opposite about American Idiot.

With the exception of the title song, I found the CD kinda dull.

Too much mid-tempo, acoustic-driven stuff for my tastes.

I think that's what makes the album so great. They've grown up and I guess I've always been a fan of the more acoustic type stuff.

My Top 7

----------------

# 1: Green Day-American Idiot

Blink 182-Blink 182

Jimmy Eat World-Futures

The Cure-The Cure (I think thats the title)

The Killers-Hot Fuss

Modest Mouse-The Moon and Antarctica

Chevelle-This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)

Not in any order after Green Day

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
A Crow Left To The Murder by Incubus

It's 'A Crow Left of the Murder' and I thought the album was not that great. A few good songs, but I was very disappointed in it. I only bought 4 CDs in the new year considering Hoobastank's Reason officially came out in 03 even though I bought it in early 04.

Start Something by the Lost Prophets- I think I love just about every song on there. My favorite album yet.

Nothing else I bought really deserved mention. ACLOTM and Futures by Jimmy Eat World were ok, but not great or anything. Futures is just too slow and could use a reorder of the songs. That's why I use the mix feature of my CD player. Otherwise the 2nd half of the CD will put me to sleep. I'd rather not even mention the other one I bought this year, I want my money back.

#1 Atreyu- The Curse

#2 Ray!- Orignal Motion Picture Soundtrack

#3 Lamb of God- Ashes of the Wake

#4 Shadows Fall- The War Within

#5 Auf der Maur- Auf der Maur

EDIT: The current state of music is really piss poor. :lol: I haven't listened to anything contemporary in the longest time...a lot of Floyd/Zeppelin...a lot of hardcore/grindcore...and a lot of The Cure

Brian Wilson - Smile.

Even though it would have been better if they had remastered original recordings.

Phoenix - Alphabetical.

The best new album last year came from France. Wonderful electropop with an 80s throwback feel.

Muse - Absolution.

The band that Radiohead should have become after OK Computer

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets.

Just damn good.

Kanye West - College Dropout.

i bought 5 albums this year...i happened to have already owed them all at one time or another in my life, but needed new copies:

atom heart mother

beatles blue album

essential springsteen

40 oz to freedom

nothing's shocking

good variety if i say so myself.

Muse - Absolution.

The band that Radiohead should have become after OK Computer

Funny considering Absolution was released in 2003, and it's quite difficult to be better than a band which you're obviously basing everything off of. Bellamy has one of the whiniest voices I've ever heard, and anything Muse puts out sounds like The Bends to the nth degree.

As for my list, it reads:

1) Magyar Posse - Kings of Time

2) Fly Pan Am - N'ecoutez Pas

3) Mono - Walking cloud and deep red sky, Flag fluttered and sun shined

4) Tortoise - It's All Around You

5) Interpol - Antics

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
Hawthorne Heights

The Killers

Maybe not top 5 of the year, but they are the two cd's I'm listening to most right now.

Good call on Hawthorne Heights, I've been listening to them lately...they're pretty good, hopefully they'll grow into a stronger band though (a lot of their songs sound the same, they could use a little depth)

I'd also have to agree with Jimmy Eat World (even though it took forever for this new cd, it was worth it) and Green Day (def. different than old Green Day, but I like it). Can't forget about Kanye as well, the guy is damn talented; hopefully he doesn't burn himself out though by doing too many collaborations.

I'd add Taking Back Sunday and My Chemical Romance to this list, they both had quality years w/quality albums.

Can't wait till new albums come out this year from Brand New and Thursday (I think they have a new one coming sometime in 2005). Also a bit off topic, I just saw the Incubus live at Redrocks DVD and I've now made it my goal to see a damn good rock show at that venue, the place looks amazing...many bands have taped performances there, I suggest you check it out if you haven't seen Red Rocks before.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
5) Interpol - Antics

Quite possibly the most mind numbingly boring band to come out of this "Post alternative disco, we're still stuck in the 1980's, try to sound like were from England, but were really from sububan detroit" genre of music that is for whatever reason so popular now.

That singers voice is like nails on a chalkboard. He doesn't even sound like he's interested in singing his own songs...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Cerbaho-WG+Jan 1, 2005 -> 04:26 PM-->
QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
<!--QuoteEBegin--> 5) Interpol - Antics

Quite possibly the most mind numbingly boring band to come out of this "Post alternative disco, we're still stuck in the 1980's, try to sound like were from England, but were really from sububan detroit" genre of music that is for whatever reason so popular now.

That singers voice is like nails on a chalkboard. He doesn't even sound like he's interested in singing his own songs...

And we have someone who's completely ignorant outside of one genre. Kessler doesn't have to scream to get the vocals across, and my main gripe with Turn On The Bright Lights was that, outside songs like PDA and Leif Erikson, he was too monotone. He certainly improved in this aspect on Antics, and I find it a good, not even close to spectacular album.

I find it funny that again you're too ignorant to realize who Interpol's main musical influences are (see Joy Division) and so what if those bands were predominately British? Interpol isn't carbon copying anyone, and to say they're "trying" to be British is completely absurd. And that genre you can't put a name on, it's called Indie Rock.

That said, I believe Anal c*** has a song that sums up The Dillinger Escape Plan fairly well.

"You think you're so f***ing original

Gay bars used to be original too"

Seth never fails to humor me.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 1, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
And we have someone who's completely ignorant outside of one genre. Kessler doesn't have to scream to get the vocals across, and my main gripe with Turn On The Bright Lights was that, outside songs like PDA and Leif Erikson, he was too monotone. He certainly improved in this aspect on Antics, and I find it a good, not even close to spectacular album.

I find it funny that again you're too ignorant to realize who Interpol's main musical influences are (see Joy Division) and so what if those bands were predominately British? Interpol isn't carbon copying anyone, and to say they're "trying" to be British is completely absurd. And that genre you can't put a name on, it's called Indie Rock.

That said, I believe Anal c*** has a song that sums up The Dillinger Escape Plan fairly well.

Monotone is a great word to describe them....

Why is it that the screaming thing always comes up when Metal is compared to other genres of music? It takes just as much effort to be on tour everynight screaming as it does to sing Opera, or sing in general on a daily basis.

Why would I ever try to realize the musical influences of a band I could care less about? I was just lumping them into the super trendy genre that's going on right now if you turn on a rock radio station. Any band with "The", Modest Mouse, Interpol, Franz Ferdis***, whoever, They're all trendy right now. I've heard them all so many times, since that is the way of the radio station, and they all sound the same to me. All boring.

Calling every band you don't like gay, yeah that's some original s***. What is the guy 12?

Just looking at some of the fantastic lyrics and song titles, it seems like Interpol and bands of that ilk would be ripe for the picking by this guy.

1. Green Day- American Idiot.

-Easily the best album of the year in my opinion. It is fantastic, and they backed it up with two good live shows in Chicago this year

2. The Killers- Hot Fuss.

-Love this album

3. Ray, The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

-Collection of old songs, but classics, and the recordings are great

4. David Cross- It's Not Funny

-Stand-up CD, but hysterical

5. Bad Religion- The Empire Strikes First

-I'm such a huge fan of these guys, but wasn't thrilled with this album... band makes it on reputation

-not sure if it came out in 2004, but The Donnas- Spend the Night was a very good album

-I know this was released in 03, but I listened to it a lot at the beginning of '04, The Darkness- Permission to Land