podsednik: Leadoff man, #9 hitter or benchwarmer ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Exactly what was said in the above 2 posts is how I feel. This is the same thing I've been saying, not necessarily on here, about Willie Harris. I gave it a name by the first guy that I implemented it on: The Willie Harris Factor. Basically it says that if Willie hits .270-.280 his speed will make him so valuable to this team. Scott Pod will be more valuable because he has more speed. I'd love to see Harris and Scott Pod hit well and tear up the basepaths next year.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
I honestly think that Harris will be more aggresive on the basepaths this year, if he can get on base enough.

Harris needs to be WAY more aggressive. If he gets his head out of his ass and uses that great speed everyone keeps talking about he can be a real weapon & if you pair that up with Poesdnik matching last years numbers then we're gonna score a ton of runs this season.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
I honestly think that Harris will be more aggresive on the basepaths this year, if he can get on base enough.

I think if Willie is the starting 2b he'll definitely get on base enough and having Scott and Rock on board can only help, so hopefully he will be more aggressive and be able to steal 40 but he seems so intimidated out there I'm not holding breath about him stealing a lot of bags.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SoxAce+Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:10 AM-->
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
<!--QuoteEBegin--> I think the sox will be a fun team to watch in the 2005 season.

Fun as in different if you ask me. Is it possible to be sick of the longball? Chicks do dig it after all. :lol:

I've been sick of the longball for a while now. Chicks will learn to dig smallball :lol:

He'd better have an on-base percentage of .350 and he'd better defend.

otherwise, he's not going to be mr. excitement, he's going to be Mr. Whipping Boy.

Frankly, I'm very concerned.

His minor league numbers were nothing extraordinary.

And when an El Cheapo team like Milwaukee dumps a guy who isn't making much and was a fan favorite, those are red flags.

Buyer Beware.

I think that this could be the best investment for the White Sox to take. When a team gives up on an outfielder with great capabilities such as Carlos Lee, theres an obvious need for change. I think Pods will fit this place well, and he will thrive in Ozzie's lineup.

Come on guys, they'll turn him loose, its Ozzie...the chemistry is changed and we've lost lots of club house cancer this offseason, I think the ball club will have lots of fun this year and will play well together as a team to WIN.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SoxAce+Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:10 AM-->
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
<!--QuoteEBegin--> I think the sox will be a fun team to watch in the 2005 season.

Fun as in different if you ask me. Is it possible to be sick of the longball? Chicks do dig it after all. :lol:

It is when guys 1-9 swing for the fences every AB.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 07:27 AM)
There are a lot of stats that will get you worried about Podsednik, but when I get see this one, I still see hope, that he can get back to his 2003 form.

AWAY - .274, .330 OBP.

Why does that still not excite me?

Interesting take from Baseball of America on the Lee trade....I don't remember seeing this anywhere.

Brewers acquire big bat in Lee

Dec. 13: The White Sox' dismantling of their outfield continued Monday. Already resigned to losing all-star Magglio Ordonez to free agency, they traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino and a player to be named.

Lee, 28, gives Milwaukee the righthanded power bat it missed after trading Richie Sexson last December. Geoff Jenkins led the Brewers with 27 homers last season, and their offense finished last in the NL in batting (.248), tied for last in homers (135) and 15th in runs (634). Meanwhile, Lee had the best season of his career, batting .305/.366/.525 with 31 homers, 99 RBI, 11 steals and a franchise-record 28-game hitting streak. His speed and defensive ability are average, and he didn't make an error in 148 games in left field. He'll make $8 million in 2005, and his contract calls for a club option at $8.5 million or a $500,000 buyout in 2006. He's a career .288/.340/.488 hitter with 152 homers and 552 RBI in 880 games.

Podsednik, 28, was the runner-up in the National League rookie-of-the-year voting in 2003 and led the majors with 70 steals in 2004, but he otherwise saw his production decline significantly. He hit .244/.313/.364 with 12 homers and 39 RBI in 154 games, and most telling was the fact that he scored just 84 runs. One Brewers official at the winter meetings said Podsednik tried to hit for power too frequently in 2004, which resulted in more homers (he hit nine in 2003) but a worse approach at the plate (his on-base percentage dipped 66 points). A good center fielder with an average arm, he may push Aaron Rowand to an outfield corner in Chicago. Podsednik signed a contract extension in May that will pay him $550,000 in 2005 and $1.9 million in 2006. In 327 major league games, he has hit .275/.343/.400 with 22 homers, 105 RBI and 113 steals.

Vizcaino was the Brewers' best setup man and the second key member of the bullpen traded in the last three days, following the deal that sent closer Dan Kolb to the Braves. The Brewers invested the money they saved in that move (which netted prized minor league righthander Jose Capellan) in this trade.

A 30-year-old righthander, Vizcaino had 21 holds in 2004, when he went 4-4, 3.75 in 73 appearances. Opponents hit .228 with 12 homers against him, and he struck out 63 and walked 24 in 72 innings. He works up in the strike zone with mid-90s fastballs that are hard to catch up to, but when hitters do he's vulnerable to homers. His second pitch is a slider. After making $550,000 in 2004, he's eligible for arbitration. Vizcaino's big league record is 15-12, 4.52 with seven saves and 52 holds in 273 games.

Once the player to be named has been identified, we'll analyze him as well.