The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Wise Master Buehrle

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Bunch of f***ing tree hugging morons.

Maybe when they're done dying we can just laugh at them.

They might be going a little far, but did you bother to read any of that site before simply waving them off as a "bunch of tree-hugging morons?"

A lot of what they say makes a lot of sense. Have you ever considered how many animal and plant species have become extinct since, probably, the age of industrialization?

Does it make one bit of sense at all for a woman in a third-world country to have 8 kids?

The human population is set to increase by 50% over the next 50 years. Do you think the earth can support whatever number of people we feel like placing on it?

Of course, people were once executed for proclaiming the world was round......

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Ya, I need to see Alex change the colors on this one like the other one.  Otherwise I may just start experimenting in the next couple days.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Don't you ever say that again...

:lol: Gaged ---> :melt

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
They might be going a little far, but did you bother to read any of that site before simply waving them off as a "bunch of tree-hugging morons?"

A lot of what they say makes a lot of sense.  Have you ever considered how many animal and plant species have become extinct since, probably, the age of industrialization? 

Does it make one bit of sense at all for a woman in a third-world country to have 8 kids?

The human population is set to increase by 50% over the next 50 years.  Do you think the earth can support whatever number of people we feel like placing on it?

Of course, people were once executed for proclaiming the world was round......

Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth's biosphere to return to good health.

Does this make sense? Why even bother reading the rest when they're proposing I live a life where I do not have children. They are a bunch of tree hugging morons, they'd give up all of mankind just so inanimate objects and animals can be healthy. That's great and all but.. no one will be there to care, except for a bunch of animals. I hate some of what people do just as much as the next guy, but this is just plain silly.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth's biosphere to return to good health.

Does this make sense? Why even bother reading the rest when they're proposing I live a life where I do not have children. They are a bunch of tree hugging morons, they'd give up all of mankind just so inanimate objects and animals can be healthy. That's great and all but.. no one will be there to care, except for a bunch of animals. I hate some of what people do just as much as the next guy, but this is just plain silly.

If you wanna deal with a baby who will shoot puke 45 feet+ across a room, be my guest. :lol:

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)

The strategy is flawed, we agree. But the sentiment is spot on.

Life on earth existed for 99.99999683% of its entire span in the absence of a hominid presence. Then for the remaining 0.00000317% of that run, humans and their ilk have managed to set in motion a mass extincton that rivals that of the Permian (that killed most life in the sea) and at the K-T Boundary (the one that did in the dinos), and far outpaces any stretch of backround extinctions yet unearthed.

From a biodiversity and global environmental health standpoint, it is just about impossible to argue that the planet is better off for having taken the evolutionary turn that gave rise to the the bucnnh of us. Dumb f***ing monnkeys that we are (OK, great apes technically, but you get the point), we have been really crappy stewards of the planet.

The picture second from the bottom says it all for me, I mean, if it is a good enough movement for the Skinheads, then it has to be cool!

I agree we are overpopulating, I've seen Soylent Green and I know what the future holds, but they seem a little extreme, and a little TOO jokey. It almost reads like a joke. Instead of all out stopping people from producing, try talking people out of producing so damn much. The world would be fine if we could just bring the numbers down a bit. I have no idea how to do that, but people would be more apt to listen if they said "slow down" instead of STOP.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 2, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)

SOOO They think that humans should phase themselves out by not breeding anymore? Hopefully everyone who's a member of this organization is leading by example.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Instead of all out stopping people from producing, try talking people out of producing so damn much. The world would be fine if we could just bring the numbers down a bit. I have no idea how to do that...

Outlaw alcohol? That would stop some of the uglier segments of the population from gaining entry into the reproductive pool at least. :P

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jan 3, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
A little note on population density.  If you took every living person and put them in the state of Texas, it would have a lower population density than Manhatten.  :D

That is scary but true - and in fact it's not even close.

according to wikipedia.org, the Manhatten land surface area = 23.0 square miles, and the Manhatten population (2000 census) = 1,537,195. That gives a frightening 66,835 people per square mile.

Compare that to the netstate.com value for Texas land surface area = 261,914 square miles, and the approximate 2000 world population of 6.2 billion - cram us all into Texas, and we'd

only get to a density of 23,671 people per square mile.

Damn, there's a lot of people in Manhatten. :o

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Outlaw alcohol?  That would stop some of the uglier segments of the population from gaining entry into the reproductive pool at least.  :P

OUCH!!! PAINFULL COLLEGE MEMORIES SURFACING!!! MAKE THEM GO AWAY!!!

Or as Homer Simpson would say....Mmmn, beer. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. :drink :drink :drink :drink :cheers :drink :drink