Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

ESPN Radio 1000's Bruce Levine reports...

-AJP wants a $3M per year deal; the Sox offer is less than $3M.

-30 year old Japanesse 2B Iguchi is looking for a three year contract; the Sox have not offered him a third year at this point.

Wow. Typical Sox practices. At this point, I'm hoping Kenny can snag at least one of those guys.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we start slitting our collective wrists, it is important to note Levine said AJP is currently "mulling" over the Sox offer.

I think the negotiations are pretty par for the course right now and I wouldn't read too deeply into these things.

Maybe the Sox offer is the best/only one AJP has received, I don't know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
ESPN Radio 1000's Bruce Levine reports...

-AJP wants a $3M per year deal; the Sox offer is less than $3M.

-30 year old Japanesse 2B Iguchi is looking for a three year contract; the Sox have not offered him a third year at this point.

Wow.  Typical Sox practices.  At this point, I'm hoping Kenny can snag at least one of those guys.

Just because a player wants something doesn't mean the Sox should just lay down and give it to them.

I wouldn't rest my Hopes in this Jap guy. Kazao Matsui anyone?

Why? Because all Japanese players will perform the same?

If there's a Puerto Rican player who doesn't pan out, should we have the same mindset?

Sorry, that's generalizing on your part.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Otsuka? If he was in Suzuki or Matsui's caliber I'd be psyched to get him, but he's not so I'm not.

Otsuka is a relief pitcher and a damn good one. Nasty stuff. I'd be psyched to get him in anyway.

People are comparing him to Kaz Matsui like its a bad thing. I'm sorry, but wouldn't you rather have him playing 2nd than say, Willie Harris?

Not to mention, we're not going to ask Iguchi to do as much as the Mets asked of him.

Then again, why are we even comparing the 2? Because of the ethnical backround?

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
People are comparing him to Kaz Matsui like its a bad thing. I'm sorry, but wouldn't you rather have him playing 2nd than say, Willie Harris?

Not to mention, we're not going to ask Iguchi to do as much as the Mets asked of him.

When money comes into affect Willie>>> Kazou matsui.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)

No I wouldn't, and the $12-15 mil it'll cost could definitely be spent elsewhere.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Why?  Because all Japanese players will perform the same?

If there's a Puerto Rican player who doesn't pan out, should we have the same mindset?

Sorry, that's generalizing on your part.

Ahhh I didn't mean it cause he's a Jap. He could be Iraqi, PuertoRican, Cuban or from Mongolia. What i meant is the hype he brings, the same hype that Kazao Matsui Brought last year and honestly he sucked with the Mets. If we sign him and he does good Great, It would be nice. But i'm not hoping he's a sure thing that's what i meant ;)

If it's true that we're about 500k or a million dollars short of what A.J. wants, the Timo contract will piss me off even more. We would be basically sacrificing a catcher who would play 120 games at least for a below average backup outfielder who would start about 30 games, barring injuries.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
If it's true that we're about 500k or a million dollars short of what A.J. wants, the Timo contract will piss me off even more.  We would be basically sacrificing a catcher who would play 120 games at least for a below average backup outfielder who would start about 30 games, barring injuries.

Why is it always about other players contracts? Maybe the Sox scouts don't believe he is worth that much more. It's like an auction. There is a price you won't go over. Or perhaps another team outbids us. There has to be some sort of line that the Sox won't go over.

This is how you get A Rod's contract...it's a slippery slope. Player A gets $2 mil a year. Player B and his agent think he's worth more than player A and asks for and gets $4 mil...etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
If it's true that we're about 500k or a million dollars short of what A.J. wants, the Timo contract will piss me off even more.  We would be basically sacrificing a catcher who would play 120 games at least for a below average backup outfielder who would start about 30 games, barring injuries.

:headshake

So then who is our reserve outfielder? Borchard, or Escobar?

Reserve outfielders are a dime a dozen. Hell, the week after we signed Timo for one million, two other reserves in D. Mohr and Hollandsworth, who are a lot better than Timo, signed for base contracts which were cheaper. Another thing about a reserve outfielder is that you want them to be good enough on defense where they can be brought in as a defensive replacement if needed. Timo has a good arm, but his range in the outfield is pathetic.