Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I think Tampa is also competing for AJP.  Qwerty said he was from that area so they may have some advantage there.

TB signed SS Alex Gonzalez to a 1 yr $1.75 mill deal. There goes some of their cash. Now they still need an OFer and a 2B man. AJ won't fit here

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
Cora handles the bat better, he can bat 2nd, and it would allow us to move aaron down in the order, statistically they are very close but alex does the little things better.  Also something that just came to my mind(yes I know, I'm very slow) but do you guys thing Depodesta would target a catcher for 2-3 million dollars with as low an obp as aj??

Again, who plays second base against left-handers?

Cora has had one good season. 2002 was OK, but I'm not going to take much from 258 AB's. He really doesn't make this team any better...

Then again, I prefer WSF's scenario of Adkins/Harris for Polanco. Hell, I made that trade in OOTP, maybe they'll do it in real life too... :lol:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
Again, who plays second base against left-handers?

Cora has had one good season.  2002 was OK, but I'm not going to take much from 258 AB's.  He really doesn't make this team any better...

Then again, I prefer WSF's scenario of Adkins/Harris for Polanco.  Hell, I made that trade in OOTP, maybe they'll do it in real life too...  :lol:

You're right, we still wouldn't have anyone to bat against lefties, all I was saying Cora is intangably(is that a word??) better, is he worth 2 million more then willie.....nah, just stating I think cora would be a nice edition at the right price, jmo. As far as polanco goes I agree with you guys I'd love to have him aboard and especially at the price you guys mentioned.

I understand this is the offseason and a great time to speculate, but you guys should forget about this Polanco talk. One, he's too expensive to fit into the White Sox equation. Two, he has his deal with the Phillies. Remember, they are going for it too and it doesn't make sense for them to dump him for two marginal players. Polanco is a proven guy, and it stands to reason if they do trade him they'll want proven talent in return. Anything can happen but the odds of this are very likely close to zero.

A more logical scenario is exactly what's unfolding for the White Sox ... chasing Iguchi, and chasing Pierzynski.

Just a hunch on my part but I think you'll see two outside additions to the White Sox infield.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
I understand this is the offseason and a great time to speculate, but you guys should forget about this Polanco talk.  One, he's too expensive to fit into the White Sox equation.  Two, he has his deal with the Phillies.  Remember, they are going for it too and it doesn't make sense for them to dump him for two marginal players.  Polanco is a proven guy, and it stands to reason if they do trade him they'll want proven talent in return.  Anything can happen but the odds of this are very likely close to zero.

A more logical scenario is exactly what's unfolding for the White Sox ... chasing Iguchi, and chasing Pierzynski.

Just a hunch on my part but I think you'll see two outside additions to the White Sox infield.

Yeah, I've been thinking about what the end Sox roster will be. I think Sox will only make one more move... I think it will be either Iguchi or Cairo... just being pesemistic though!!! I would love AJ and Iguchi, I just don't get a good feeling in the AJ dealings...

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
I understand this is the offseason and a great time to speculate, but you guys should forget about this Polanco talk.  One, he's too expensive to fit into the White Sox equation.  Two, he has his deal with the Phillies.  Remember, they are going for it too and it doesn't make sense for them to dump him for two marginal players.  Polanco is a proven guy, and it stands to reason if they do trade him they'll want proven talent in return.  Anything can happen but the odds of this are very likely close to zero.

They will deal polanco sometime this season. I think that is pretty much a given. Why would they want to pay four to five million to play 40-60 games a year? Does not seem like a smart thing to do.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
i can really see them trading polanco next for nothing they didnt want him in the first place the only reason he was offered arbitration was they were hoping he would decline it and wanted a draft pick.

i bet the yankees might possible look into that, because they dont have a 2nd basemen yet, at least not that comes to mind?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)

Jim, I will agree with you on this. I personally believe we will see two signings if not three before Monday of next week. We will need two infielders, whether that means two infielders we like I am not so sure. I also truly think they are close to signing AJ. If Williams gets this done, he will have very quietly have put us as the front runner in the division, and kept payroll in line. Unreal as that may sound.

I'm not sure if what you're saying is true about Polanco.

But the fact that he accepted arbitration means that his price will be set by the arbitrator. The Phillies I do not believe can trade him before that occurs.

He's going to obtain max arbit numbers with 7 yrs under his belt.

VS. L: .327 / .858 VS. R: .287 / .757 HOME: .317 / .836 AWAY: .277 / .732

.298, 17HR, 222TB, 55RBI in 126G, 503AB. 345O, 441S

Those are solid numbers. That's basically 3/4th's of a season.

Projected over a full-season: 265TB, 65RBI, 20HR.

He's the 5th best hitter on that team now. That would make him the 4th best. I don't understand why they would trade him.

His 3 yr avg is quite good: v L: 370O, 503S v R: 332O, 405S

1543AB, 162R, 450H, 832B, 40HR, 167RBI, 292A, 342O, 430S

I don't see why a team in contention would trade this guy.

If they trade him it won't be before ST. It would be near the break if they are clearly out of it.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
I'm not sure if what you're saying is true about Polanco.

But the fact that he accepted arbitration means that his price will be set by the arbitrator.  The Phillies I do not believe can trade him before that occurs.

He's going to obtain max arbit numbers with 7 yrs under his belt.

VS. L: .327 / .858 VS. R: .287 / .757 HOME: .317 / .836 AWAY: .277 / .732

.298, 17HR, 222TB, 55RBI in 126G, 503AB.  345O, 441S

Those are solid numbers.  That's basically 3/4th's of a season.

Projected over a full-season: 265TB, 65RBI, 20HR.

He's the 5th best hitter on that team now.  That would make him the 4th best.  I don't understand why they would trade him.

His 3 yr avg is quite good: v L: 370O, 503S v R:  332O, 405S

1543AB,  162R, 450H, 832B, 40HR, 167RBI, 292A,  342O, 430S

I don't see why a team in contention would trade this guy.

If they trade him it won't be before ST.  It would be near the break if they are clearly out of it.

Phillies announced that infielder Placido Polanco accepted their offer of arbitration.

GM Ed Wade isn't loving this. Polanco, who will get a raise from the $3.95 million he made last season, must have found teams less eager to sign him because they'd have to sacrifice a draft pick. The Phillies could attempt to trade him, as they've made it clear Chase Utley will be their primary second baseman.

Why would they want to pay more than four million for someone that is not even starting for them?

Philly would like to get rid of him but they will also probably ask for something for him.

Also the Sox in no way shape or form are going to have any interest in him. We never heard his name come up once when he was available and now that he'll get over 4 mill+ this year his name definately won't come up, imo.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
He's expected to earn 6M in arbitration.  I don't see any team jumping to get him at that price.

Not unless the Phillies pay some of his contract in a trade, which they may have to do to get a deal done.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
TB signed SS Alex Gonzalez to a 1 yr $1.75 mill deal. There goes some of their cash. Now they still need an OFer and a 2B man. AJ won't fit here

Uh oh, TB signs AJ then trades Toby Hall to the Sox for Willie and a prospect(there's always gotta be a prospect), the Sox then sign Cora.

AJ goes on to be TB's AS rep and Willie becomes the 2nd half of a 50 SB tandem with Carl Crawford.

In the meantime, Cora has his typical odd yr(where he struggles to break Mendoza) and Toby Hall becomes, well........Toby Hall.

Lou's sitting in Tampa right now thinking "KW, I feel you near".

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)

After signing a first baseman or a left fielder, the Rays will decide whether they still have enough money left to block Jorge Cantu at second base.

Mark Grudzielanek, Alex Cora and maybe even Miguel Cairo are candidates to be signed to start over Cantu. Jan. 6 - 11:56 am et

The Devil Rays have made a contract offer to free agent Danny Bautista, who would play left field until Rocco Baldelli returns.

Jonny Gomes is a better internal candidate, and the Devil Rays also have Joey Gathright and Matt Diaz. Still, they won't enter the season with any of them playing regularly if they can help it. If Bautista turns them down, Travis Lee could be brought back, pushing Aubrey Huff to left field. Jan. 6 - 11:59

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Kind of like paying Carl everett money to sit as well????

Everett will not be sitting for the first month or two of the season. You really believe thomas will be ready to start the season? He will be very valuble giving all three of our outfielders a rest throughout the year.