Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Difference between signing someone like Davis to $1 mil and Timo to the same amount is that you know that Davis, being one of the top 2 catchers on the team with or without A.J., is going to start around 20 to 25 pct of the games behind the plate.  Not only that, but there would have likely been more teams willing to give Davis around that same amount of money to come to the team as a BACK-UP catcher and see if he can fulfill some of his potential.  That's the thing though, he's no better than a back-up catcher. That's why we need A.J.  The difference between Victor Martinez, Mauer, and I-Rod is ridiculous when compared to Ben Davis.  A.J. makes the Sox a lot more respectable.

How do you know that Davis could receive the same kind of money from another team but Timo couldn't? :huh:

I want AJ, but you have just decided to say that Timo's Contract will prevent us from signing him. I don't see any truth in that, and if the Sox were concerned about $500,000, they should not have signed Ben Davis. It would have been too large of a risk to not sign Ben, and bank on signing AJ. AJ would've known that the Sox only had one catcher, and could have held the Sox up for even more money. We don't need three catchers, but I won't complain if we sign AJ. :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
How do you know that Davis could receive the same kind of money from another team but Timo couldn't?  :huh:

It's obvious looking at the market for reserve outfielders that Timo wasn't going to get more money from any other team than he was the Sox. Please don't argue that he's better than Hollandsworth or Mohr. I do agree with you that if KW really wanted A.J., he shouldn't have signed Ben Davis. However, in my opinion, it reverts back to his inability to admit that players he has "had an eye on" didn't pan out like he had hoped. We all know how long it took him to get rid of Royce.

Is Timo Perez the antichrist? :huh

For those of you who don't like him get over it---he's signed and will play in Chi in 2005.

For those who support him, get over it---he'll likely improve on his 2004. But enough of this old lady b****ing on every thread about Timo.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Joe Borchard, Alex Escobar within the team, although there are others available.

Joe Borchard is English for Jose Valentin. Just say no. That worthless sack of crap got booted from his Mexican League team for sucking.

MEXICAN LEAGUE WAS TOO GOOD FOR HIM.

Timo is a solid vet who had some big hits for us. His 1 mil is a pittance compared to the 4 mil we'll be giving El Duque to lead rally caps. At least Timo will be contributing in the 2nd half of the season.

I have hopes for Escobar, but he's proven nothing at this point. To sink or swim with him would be foolish.

wasnt timo like a 270 some hitter for the mets or something or am i just making tht up? :canada ..... anyways lets not hate on Timo until we find out if we sign Pieyrznski or not and if your going to hate on anyone hate on KW for giving him the contract... :chair although i think we still have the money from left over to sign pierynski.....

Carlos Lee like 6,500,000- Podsenick 400,000 - Duque 4 million - Vizquiano 550,000 = 1,550,000.... thats based on last years contracts for all those players besides Duque and im pretty sure Carlos Lee was due for 8 million some this year and i know podsenick's and vizquanio's raises arent going to be that high and even b4 the trade we had a little money free so it tells me theirs cash enuf to pay pieryznski 3 million especially if we serious about winning a WS

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
That's why we brought back Timo, and there's no need to rush Sweeney or Anderson either.  Secondly, why b**** about Timo's contract when Ben Davis is making the same amount and get this, is playing the same position as AJ?  Shouldn't these pessimists worried about giving out $1 million to a bench player in a large market be more concerned with Davis' contract rather than Timo's?  :huh

I really don't get it.  So if we sign AJ are these same whiners going to be complaining about Timo's contract because they feel it won't allow us to add a player at the trade deadline (hell we may not even need someone as the rate this offseason is going.  :) )

To be fair, we resigned Ben Davis before AJP was even available on the market as a FA.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
To be fair, we resigned Ben Davis before AJP was even available on the market as a FA.

That is incorrect. The Sox knew that A.J. had cleared waivers a few days before we resigned Ben Davis. Anyways, if it's true that we're not offering enough money, then I can confidently say we won't be getting A.J. KW said we weren't going to get into a bidding war for him, and Pierzynski will definitely get 3 million from some other team (Dodgers, Pirates, etc.) Would anyone argue with me that we have the worst catching core in the majors now?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
That is incorrect.  The Sox knew that A.J. had cleared waivers a few days before we resigned Ben Davis.  Anyways, if it's true that we're not offering enough money, then I can confidently say we won't be getting A.J.  KW said we weren't going to get into a bidding war for him, and Pierzynski will definitely get 3 million from some other team (Dodgers, Pirates, etc.)  Would anyone argue with me that we have the worst catching core in the majors now?

If he wants a better chance to win...the Sox are his best chance.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
That is incorrect.  The Sox knew that A.J. had cleared waivers a few days before we resigned Ben Davis.  Anyways, if it's true that we're not offering enough money, then I can confidently say we won't be getting A.J.  KW said we weren't going to get into a bidding war for him, and Pierzynski will definitely get 3 million from some other team (Dodgers, Pirates, etc.)  Would anyone argue with me that we have the worst catching core in the majors now?

It was purely rumor at the time of Ben Davis' resigning. Pierzynski was still a Giant and had yet to be non-tendered.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
It was purely rumor at the time of Ben Davis' resigning.  Pierzynski was still a Giant and had yet to be non-tendered.

Not true, we resigned Ben the day after the arbitration deadline, meaning Aj was already non tendered.

To cover the Timo topic...

I do think Timo is overpaid at $1 mill...had he been non-tendered, he would have gotten a minor league contract from some team and may not have made their MLB roster. However, him being overpaid by $500,000 is not going to kill our chances getting AJP. The Sox, as of right now, still probably have about $6-7 mill they can spend in FA....however, they will want some of it to be available so they can fill a need at the trade deadline if necessary. If they need say a very good reliever or a very good starter, and one becomes available, they will have the resources financially to get that player.

Also on the topic of Timo...he is terrible. I would imagine that we'd be pretty damn lucky to trade him and get anything that could be worthwhile. He doesn't hit well, he isn't fast, he doesn't field well, his arm is good but he is sometimes slow to release the ball(and Jamie Burke knows that all too well)...and that clutch argument is garbage. I don't care if a guy can hit late in the game...if he can hit late in the game, why in the hell can't he hit early in the game?

Regarding the offers to AJP and Taguchi...I hope we get them. I do think there is a decent chance we get AJP, but I personally doubt we get Taguchi...he was reportedly looking for Kaz money, and the Sox weren't(or shouldn't be) offering him that...they shouldn't offer him half of that. I'm pretty sure Kaz got somewhere around $7 mill a year...the most the Sox should go with Taguchi is $3 mill. If we offer him $3 mill, and that's the best offer he receives, he will likely head back to Japan.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)

I do think Timo is overpaid at $1 mill...had he been non-tendered, he would have gotten a minor league contract from some team and may not have made their MLB roster.  However, him being overpaid by $500,000 is not going to kill our chances getting AJP.  The Sox, as of right now, still probably have about $6-7 mill they can spend in FA....however, they will want some of it to be available so they can fill a need at the trade deadline if necessary.  If they need say a very good reliever or a very good starter, and one becomes available, they will have the resources financially to get that player.

Also on the topic of Timo...he is terrible.  I would imagine that we'd be pretty damn lucky to trade him and get anything that could be worthwhile.  He doesn't hit well, he isn't fast, he doesn't field well, his arm is good but he is sometimes slow to release the ball(and Jamie Burke knows that all too well)...and that clutch argument is garbage.  I don't care if a guy can hit late in the game...if he can hit late in the game, why in the hell can't he hit early in the game? 

Regarding the offers to AJP and Taguchi...I hope we get them. I do think there is a decent chance we get AJP, but I personally doubt we get Taguchi...he was reportedly looking for Kaz money, and the Sox weren't(or shouldn't be) offering him that...they shouldn't offer him half of that.  I'm pretty sure Kaz got somewhere around $7 mill a year...the most the Sox should go with Taguchi is $3 mill.  If we offer him $3 mill, and that's the best offer he receives, he will likely head back to Japan.

Excellent post.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Also on the topic of Timo...he is terrible.  I would imagine that we'd be pretty damn lucky to trade him and get anything that could be worthwhile.  He doesn't hit well, he isn't fast, he doesn't field well, his arm is good but he is sometimes slow to release the ball(and Jamie Burke knows that all too well)...and that clutch argument is garbage.  I don't care if a guy can hit late in the game...if he can hit late in the game, why in the hell can't he hit early in the game? 

I completely disagree about Timo but we'll just have to agree to disagree this topic has been overdone. Anyways going onto A.J. not to worried about this yet, sure maybe he wants 3 mill but maybe the sox have the best offer on the table right now and he's just hoping to get that money. Anways I do agree with you guys that aj is definitely worth 3 mill, we'll see what happens though.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)

I do think Timo is overpaid at $1 mill...had he been non-tendered, he would have gotten a minor league contract from some team and may not have made their MLB roster.  However, him being overpaid by $500,000 is not going to kill our chances getting AJP.  The Sox, as of right now, still probably have about $6-7 mill they can spend in FA....however, they will want some of it to be available so they can fill a need at the trade deadline if necessary.  If they need say a very good reliever or a very good starter, and one becomes available, they will have the resources financially to get that player.

Regarding the offers to AJP and Taguchi...I hope we get them. I do think there is a decent chance we get AJP, but I personally doubt we get Taguchi...he was reportedly looking for Kaz money, and the Sox weren't(or shouldn't be) offering him that...they shouldn't offer him half of that.  I'm pretty sure Kaz got somewhere around $7 mill a year...the most the Sox should go with Taguchi is $3 mill.  If we offer him $3 mill, and that's the best offer he receives, he will likely head back to Japan.

Well, that pretty much sums it up!

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
The thing with Dustin Mohr though was playing time.  His agent only shopped him where he'd get lots of playing time, the White Sox couldn't offer him that.  Mohr is trying to rebuild (build?) his value for bigger paydays down the line.  Given the current OF situation, Mohr would not have come here.

I like Escobar's versatility as well.  I don't know what they'll do with him, but it really comes down to Escobar himself.  If he has a great spring, the Sox will probably find a way to keep him and bump somebody else out.  As it stands now I'd rather have the depth Perez brings because no one really knows what Escobar brings to the table.

The utility infielders are coming off the board, per the rumors thread.  Pokey Reese and Ramon Martinez both gone.  I fully expect the White Sox to settle the whole infield situation very soon, if not this week then for sure by Sox Fest.

Actually I don't need Hawk to tell me who I like or not like. i can watch for myself.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)

I truly agree, furthermore I really don't think the Sox will be so hard lined that they would let a player they want go for 500k. that is not reasonable. I do believe they think they have a figure in mind of what he is worth. Sounds like typical negotiation to me. It probably comes down to both money and years. This has nothing at all to do with Timo. Ozzie likes Timo, he is a solid backup, thats all he is or ever will be, but Ozzie likes him. he hustles, he is pretty decent on D, a lefthanded bat, and does and plays like Ozzie wants to play. That is why he is here.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
I lived in San Franciscio on KTCT 1050am they  were talking about Giants baseball with Jon Miller and a caller  asked Jon who he thinks will sign AJ. Jon said that the Whitesox were the favorites to sign him

This is encouraging.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
I agree, better than Jon Miller saying that another team like the Dodgers were the team to beat.

This raises a good question... all the reports have said there are other teams interested/made offers to AJ. I don't doubt this, but anyone know any other teams? I assume The Dodgers are out there, but who else?