Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I completely disagree about Timo but we'll just have to agree to disagree this topic has been overdone.  Anyways going onto A.J. not to worried about this yet, sure maybe he wants 3 mill but maybe the sox have the best offer on the table right now and he's just hoping to get that money.  Anways I do agree with you guys that aj is definitely worth 3 mill, we'll see what happens though.

I don't care how overblown it is. There is no reason for Timo to be making what hes making nor is there any reason for him to even be in the major leagues. As has been said, he would be lucky to tag along with any team, no less a team that will be vying for a World Series crown. Again, I don't mind him on this team but if it means signing Pierzynski, I am quite upset.

So all I ask for is your opinion on why you "completely disagree."

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
I lived in San Franciscio on KTCT 1050am they  were talking about Giants baseball with Jon Miller and a caller  asked Jon who he thinks will sign AJ. Jon said that the Whitesox were the favorites to sign him

thats good for jon, but yet we havent signed him so his thoughts dont really matter

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't care how overblown it is.  There is no reason for Timo to be making what hes making nor is there any reason for him to even be in the major leagues.  As has been said, he would be lucky to tag along with any team, no less a team that will be vying for a World Series crown.  Again, I don't mind him on this team but if it means signing Pierzynski, I am quite upset.

So all I ask for is your opinion on why you "completely disagree."

Wait a minute Red...

so you're telling me his "clutch" factor isn't enough to justify a roster spot? Jeesh, you're really missing the point here. ;)

He's clutch, he plays average defense and he has a fun name, what other reasons do we need to justify paying $1M for a 2nd or 3rd OF off the bench.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Again, I don't mind him on this team but if it means signing Pierzynski, I am quite upset.

The only way Timo Perez effects the White Sox signing AJP is due to him potentially blocking a spot on the 40-man...and there are things that can be done to get others off(trades, DFA'ing guys, among other possibilities).

Timo Perez being on the team will have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not AJP signs with us...unless Timo said something about AJ's mom ;)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
The only way Timo Perez effects the White Sox signing AJP is due to him potentially blocking a spot on the 40-man...and there are things that can be done to get others off(trades, DFA'ing guys, among other possibilities).

Timo Perez being on the team will have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not AJP signs with us...unless Timo said something about AJ's mom ;)

So wait.. Are you Kenny Williams? some White Sox insider? possibly Pierzynski's agent?

So wait.. Are you Kenny Williams? some White Sox insider? possibly Pierzynski's agent?

They haven't even started to pay Timo Perez yet, none of us know the specifics of his contract. Lots of guys are moved in Spring training, he may not even be on the team.

I don't see the connect between Perez's contract and getting or not getting Pierzynski. In terms of baseball payrolls it's a very small amount.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
They haven't even started to pay Timo Perez yet, none of us know the specifics of his contract.  Lots of guys are moved in Spring training, he may not even be on the team.

I don't see the connect between Perez's contract and getting or not getting Pierzynski.  In terms of baseball payrolls it's a very small amount.

He avoided arbitration and signed a one year deal worth one million dollars.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)

We have more money left to spend than what he is asking for. So that is why resigning timo does not affect us signing pierz.

As far as the Timo topic goes, he is decent for what we are asking, and i dont mind having a left handed bat on the bench, maybe a bit over payed at $1 mill. with the market over run with capable OF-ers. But, i think the key point here is that his money could have been better used. In example, AJP (man i hope we get him), or getting a utility middle infielder. We didnt need another average to below average fielding OF-er when we already have 6 capable major league OF-ers. (Borchard, Dye, Pods, Rowand, Escobar, Everett) ok, ok... Borchard really sucks, but he may wake up sometime. I think we should have focused on getting an IF-er rather than spending $1 mill on our number 7 OF-er

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
What does this have to do with anything I posted?

The damn new board format is a bit different. i wasn't responding to you. Who knows who I am responding to anymore. Hit one button, then hit another. net net, this whole timo discussion should be another damn thread. Timo has nothing to do with Signing AJ. its unrealistic to draw the inference.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
We have more money left to spend than what he is asking for. So that is why resigning timo does not affect us signing pierz.

You don't offer a player of Pierzynksi's caliber under three million dollars unless your financially burdened. 700,000 as little as it seems is a big difference.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
The damn new board format is a bit different. i wasn't responding to you. Who knows who I am responding to anymore. Hit one button, then hit another. net net, this whole timo discussion should be another damn thread. Timo has nothing to do with Signing AJ. its unrealistic to draw the inference.

We'll see. There is no excuse for not signing Pierzynski currently, if you can find one i'll listen.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
We'll see.  There is no excuse for not signing Pierzynski currently, if you can find one i'll listen.

here is what I can find. You have an issue with Perez. Good for you. Some people like him some don't.The next thing I can find, is that, in no way has any whitesox authority said we cannot sign AJ because we paid Timo or because we are out of money. The third thing is, we seem to be the only team that has offered him a contract. Has anyone else even stepped up to make an offer? The fourth thing is San fran dropped his ass, if he was so great, he would have stayed with them for 3 million. the next thing is, although i am speculating, I do not think the sox will let someone they want go for 500k. Maybe a million, maybe an extra year but not 500k. If his caliber was so great, he would have been scooped up by now. That said, I want him, but not at an inflated price. Let the Sox do there job. I am sure something will happen soon.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
You don't offer a player of Pierzynksi's caliber under three million dollars unless your financially burdened.  700,000 as little as it seems is a big difference.

It's called negotiations, buddy. How do you know the sox aren't the highest bidder right now, maybe they'll go up in price if they have to, this was just a starting bid most likely and as of now it might be the most of amount of money that has been offered to him.

here is what I can find. You have an issue with Perez. Good for you. Some people like him some don't.The next thing I can find, is that, in no way has any whitesox authority said we cannot sign AJ because we paid Timo or because we are out of money. The third thing is, we seem to be the only team that has offered him a contract. Has anyone else even stepped up to make an offer? The fourth thing  is San fran dropped his ass, if he was so great, he would have stayed with them for 3 million. the next thing is, although i am speculating, I do not think the sox will let someone they want go for 500k. Maybe a million, maybe an extra year but not 500k. If his caliber was so great, he would have been scooped up by now. That said, I want him, but not at an inflated price. Let the Sox do there job. I am sure something will happen soon.

So there, nyah nyah nuh nyah nyah, I'll get you at recess. :D

I'm going to crack open a Pabst Blue Ribbon after that one! :drink

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
So there, nyah nyah nuh nyah nyah, I'll get you at recess. :D

I'm going to crack open a Pabst Blue Ribbon after that one!  :drink

Hey When I was sking They had a 32 ounce pabst in a can for 3 bucks at the end of the sking run. Awesome

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
here is what I can find. You have an issue with Perez. Good for you. Some people like him some don't.The next thing I can find, is that, in no way has any whitesox authority said we cannot sign AJ because we paid Timo or because we are out of money. The third thing is, we seem to be the only team that has offered him a contract. Has anyone else even stepped up to make an offer? The fourth thing  is San fran dropped his ass, if he was so great, he would have stayed with them for 3 million. the next thing is, although i am speculating, I do not think the sox will let someone they want go for 500k. Maybe a million, maybe an extra year but not 500k. If his caliber was so great, he would have been scooped up by now. That said, I want him, but not at an inflated price. Let the Sox do there job. I am sure something will happen soon.

:headbang :notworthy :headbang :notworthy

Hey When I was sking They had a 32 ounce pabst in a can for 3 bucks at the end of the sking run. Awesome

Peanuts is looking into putting it on draught. Somebody :D wrote them a letter with the suggestion.

I'm trying to figure out who else would be in play for AJP. Dodgers are getting that young catcher from NYY via the Dbacks, I don't think any of the smaller market teams will pony up, nor do I think he'd be as interested. He's used to playing with contending teams.

As for infield, Cairo, Cora, Iguchi still out there. I'm hoping for two, you know what I'm sayin'.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Peanuts is looking into putting it on draught.  Somebody  :D wrote them a letter with the suggestion.

I'm trying to figure out who else would be in play for AJP.  Dodgers are getting that young catcher from NYY via the Dbacks, I don't think any of the smaller market teams will pony up, nor do I think he'd be as interested.  He's used to playing with contending teams.

As for infield, Cairo, Cora, Iguchi still out there.  I'm hoping for two, you know what I'm sayin'.

Well, I have yet to read what other teams have shown interest or, more importantly, offered contracts.

For all we know, we might be in an AJP race against ourself. I haven't read the names of ANY one team in specific that has shown interest besides the Sox.

I'm really thinking we have the best shot at AJP. Hopefully Kenny can get it done this week.

As for the middle infield, I'm expecting Alex Cora. Cora would be a great fit to platoon beside s***-head and the you know Kenny is going to give him a long, hard look because of the brother-discount. Cora in Black and Silver is a great possibility, in my opinion, better than Iguchi.