Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
I know what your saying but you will get one and Kelly Dransfedt. Dodgers, Tampa, Whitesox, and who did the cardinals pick up?

The cards are probably going to go with Yadier Molina at catcher. The dodgers just spent some serious money to get Odalis back, with the acquisitions of navarro also they might not got after aj atleast I hope not. It really could come down to the sox and TB, however TB resigned Toby Hall, honestly it seems as if the sox have a great shot at acquiring aj but I'm not getting my hopes up, I still got a bad feeling that another team is going to jump in there and scoop him up, hopefully I'm wrong.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
Well, I have yet to read what other teams have shown interest or, more importantly, offered contracts. 

For all we know, we might be in an AJP race against ourself.  I haven't read the names of ANY one team in specific that has shown interest besides the Sox.

I'm really thinking we have the best shot at AJP.  Hopefully Kenny can get it done this week.

As for the middle infield, I'm expecting Alex Cora.  Cora would be a great fit to platoon beside s***-head and the you know Kenny is going to give him a long, hard look because of the brother-discount.  Cora in Black and Silver is a great possibility, in my opinion, better than Iguchi.

You could be right, and if so i think that will be just fine and we will compete if we pick up those two.

nice point quickman, kelly is still around. i dont want to sign goochi to a 3 year deal, unless its all on incentives with a base of around 2 mil a year. i rather save that money and use it elsewhere, esp in the next two years.

on the point oj AJ, i want him signed. period. give him just under 3 mil, that is not overpaying.

as far as Timo Perez signing for 1 million, that was KW's only move this offseason deserving a F. :angry: What was he thinking. Escobar should get a chance, or let borchard go again. also, remember when frank gets back, everett will be backup DH and what else? i would like him to be the #4 OF, so the position Timo was signed to fill is already filled, by multiple options. thats all there is to that. no one will convince me otherwise :bringit .

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
The cards are probably going to go with Yadier Molina at catcher.  The dodgers just spent some serious money to get Odalis back, with the acquisitions of navarro also they might not got after aj atleast I hope not.  It really could come down to the sox and TB, however TB resigned Toby Hall, honestly it seems as if the sox have a great shot at acquiring aj but I'm not getting my hopes up, I still got a bad feeling that another team is going to jump in there and scoop him up, hopefully I'm wrong.

its amazing that teams are fighting over Beltran and offering 100 million and we are speculating on a 2 or 3 million dollar catcher, but as funny as this sounds, i would feel good if we got AJ and think we will have a good chance of winning the division. The mets even with beltran, will have to struggle. Funny.

QUOTE(raff @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
nice point quickman, kelly is still around. i dont want to sign goochi to a 3 year deal, unless its all on incentives with a base of around 2 mil a year. i rather save that money and use it elsewhere, esp in the next two years. 

on the point oj AJ, i want him signed. period. give him just under 3 mil, that is not overpaying. 

as far as Timo Perez signing for 1 million, that was KW's only move this offseason deserving a F. :angry:  What was he thinking. Escobar should get a chance, or let borchard go again.  also, remember when frank gets back, everett will be backup DH and what else? i would like him to be the #4 OF, so the position Timo was signed to fill is already filled, by multiple options.  thats all there is to that. no one will convince me otherwise  :bringit .

Raff, Ozzie targeted Timo last year, and wanted him. Ozzie wants Timo. That simple.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
I know what your saying but you will get one and Kelly Dransfedt. Dodgers, Tampa, Whitesox, and who did the cardinals pick up?

Einar Diaz; talk about under the radar, I didn't remember it either. Diaz had some good years in Cleveland but has tailed off the last 2 years. From Rotoworld:
Dec. 15, 2004 - 6:44 pm et

Cardinals signed catcher Einar Diaz, who had been with the Expos, to a one-year, $600,000 contract.

He can earn $225,000 in bonuses. Diaz, who turns 32 in two weeks, will back up Yadier Molina for St. Louis. The former Indian hit just .223/.293/.302 while playing behind Brian Schneider last year. He's nothing more than another Gary Bennett now.

Dec. 14, 2004 - 9:35 pm et

Free agent Einar Diaz will sign with the Cardinals and become Yadier Molina's backup.

Diaz is expected to get a one-year, $600,000 contract.

Source: The Associated Press

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
Well, I have yet to read what other teams have shown interest or, more importantly, offered contracts. 

For all we know, we might be in an AJP race against ourself.  I haven't read the names of ANY one team in specific that has shown interest besides the Sox.

I'm really thinking we have the best shot at AJP.  Hopefully Kenny can get it done this week.

As for the middle infield, I'm expecting Alex Cora.  Cora would be a great fit to platoon beside s***-head and the you know Kenny is going to give him a long, hard look because of the brother-discount.  Cora in Black and Silver is a great possibility, in my opinion, better than Iguchi.

If by "s***-head", you mean Willie Harris, it would be absolutely pointless to platoon the two. Absolutely pointless.

They're basically the same player, except Cora can play SS. Both can hit right handers equally well, Harris has more speed, but for the most part, both play above average defense.

The only differences are:

a.) Harris is faster and will steal more bases.

b.)Cora strikes out less.

c.)Harris will make at least 500,000 less.

No point in signing a player that we already have, IMHO...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
So wait.. Are you Kenny Williams? some White Sox insider? possibly Pierzynski's agent?

Maybe I am? :huh :D

No, to me...it is just common sense and is a reasonable guess. As of right now, the Sox payroll is at roughly $67 mill or so, according to the payroll thread...and the Sox threshold is around $72-75 mill, somewhere in that general viscinity.

In complete speculation, I would guess the Sox offer to AJ right now is probably in the neighborhood of 2-years, $5.5 mill or so...$2 mill for this year, $2.75 mill for 06, and a buyout of $750K...and as of right now, it may be the best offer on the table. That does not mean they are not willing to go up to 2-years, $7.5 mill, or even 2-yeras, $8 mill, perhaps they may even be willing to go around the neighborhood of 3-years, $12 mill or so...we don't know exactly.

You factor in any one of those contracts, and the Sox are still under $72 mill, which has been their designated threshold, or so people have speculated, and it still gives them a little room to get someone at the trade deadline too.

As of right now, it is up to AJ and his agent to accept or decline the Sox offer on the table, even if it is below what AJ is asking. And regardless of what the Sox would give AJ, Timo's contract plays no role in signing AJ whatsoever. As I just pointed out above, including Timo's contract, the Sox will be below $72 mill regardless of the contract AJ would sign, and if they needed room on the 40-man roster, I'm sure some other team would like Jason Grilli on their team :D

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
I believe I heard a report here in San Fran that the DevilRays are also intersted in AJ

A FL paper today said the Rays had only a few million left for an OF and an IFer. Mark Grudz is one of their top targets and a guy like Danny Bautista. I don't think they have the cash for AJ

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
If by "s***-head", you mean Willie Harris, it would be absolutely pointless to platoon the two.  Absolutely pointless.

They're basically the same player, except Cora can play SS.  Both can hit right handers equally well, Harris has more speed, but for the most part, both play above average defense. 

Cora-No.

Iguchi-eh.

Cairo-Very much so.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
If by "s***-head", you mean Willie Harris, it would be absolutely pointless to platoon the two.  Absolutely pointless.

They're basically the same player, except Cora can play SS.  Both can hit right handers equally well, Harris has more speed, but for the most part, both play above average defense. 

Cora handles the bat better, he can bat 2nd, and it would allow us to move aaron down in the order, statistically they are very close but alex does the little things better. Also something that just came to my mind(yes I know, I'm very slow) but do you guys thing Depodesta would target a catcher for 2-3 million dollars with as low an obp as aj??

Would anyone care to speculate the White Sox might sign two of Iguchi, Cora, Cairo, in addition to Pierzynski? And do something else with Harris?

Does Harris have minor league options left?

We have heard next to zero speculation about Alex Cora, from any other teams besides the Sox.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Wow. Typical Sox practices. 

Maybe it was just my interpretation.

And Justifiably so Rex. I am not sure I would have a melt down on not getting either on of these guys, but if we can work a deal I hope the Sox at least go their half way. I think AJ might be an upgrade over who we are penciling in at catcher right now

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Would anyone care to speculate the White Sox might sign two of Iguchi, Cora, Cairo, in addition to Pierzynski?  And do something else with Harris?

We have heard next to zero speculation about Alex Cora, from any other teams besides the Sox.

Jim, the thing I was thinking about was signing one of those guys that you mentioned and trading willie for a utility guy who can play 3rd and short as well as 2b, I know that wouldn't be the most popular decision around here but I wouldn't doubt if that were to happen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
Jim, the thing I was thinking about was signing one of those guys that you mentioned and trading willie for a utility guy who can play 3rd and short as well as 2b, I know that wouldn't be the most popular decision around here but I wouldn't doubt if that were to happen.

Like fathom just said, jolbert cabrera could fill that hole for us and he would do so awfully cheap.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Like fathom just said, jolbert cabrera could fill that hole for us and he would do so awfully cheap.

Definitely something to look into, I like Jolbert but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Willie did get traded if one of the guys Jim mentioned are brought in.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)

Wow, I think that's a move we would all like.

We get a good utilit player who plays a lot of positions and is decent with the bat, and Anthrax finally gets Cabrera :headbang :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)

Fine with me, i hate Harris almost as much as red and white hates Perez.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
Would anyone care to speculate the White Sox might sign two of Iguchi, Cora, Cairo, in addition to Pierzynski?  And do something else with Harris?

jim, it is obviously paying off to wait. prices for these types of players will come down. Smart. Only thing is what to do with Harris. Doubt he goes down. Trading him is an option but who would want him other than kenny williams. :unsure:

Fine with me, i hate Harris almost as much as red and white hates Perez.

On the AJP thing, the Marlins need a catcher badly, do they not?

Jolbert Cabrera ... didn't his contract get sold to a Japanese team? I thought I'd read he'll be in Japan in 2005.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)

Jolbert Cabrera ... didn't his contract get sold to a Japanese team?  I thought I'd read he'll be in Japan in 2005.

They traded for Lo Duca last year.

Harris, Doubt he goes down.  who would want him other than kenny williams. :unsure:

All sorts of double entendres here, you know what I'm sayin' :D

Remember he can play CF as well, and may have some value for some team because of that.

But I doubt it. :D

Just kidding, Willie fans.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)

Jolbert Cabrera ... didn't his contract get sold to a Japanese team?  I thought I'd read he'll be in Japan in 2005.

No, but it is believed if there is nto much interest in him in the states he will go to japan.