Levine Reports on Sox Offers

AddisonStSox

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
i have a life, and a condo in michigan at a ski resort. therefore I am sking. Kind of the family thing to do. i will see the sox fail all summer. whats your dad looking for?

give him a call, i'm not sure.

Ok, we have hijacked this thread, back on track here.

Now that LoDuca has re-entered my stream of consciousness, there really aren't many teams out there who need a #1 catcher.

This will all come down to where this guy wants to play, and how much playing time he expects to get. If AJP is indeed mulling over the Sox offer as Levine reported, that means he didn't reject it outright.

It is so damn quiet, and that's why I think the Sox will have two signings very shortly. I need to clip out the articles for Dad in Arizona. 75th b-day present, Sox sign Pierzynski.

I will not comment on the politically incorrect manner in which he inquired about Pierzynski's status over the phone today, suffice it to say he was born and raised in Bridgeport though. :lol: :o :bang

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
Ok, we have hijacked this thread, back on track here.

Now that LoDuca has re-entered my stream of consciousness, there really aren't many teams out there who need a #1 catcher.

This will all come down to where this guy wants to play, and how much playing time he expects to get.  If AJP is indeed mulling over the Sox offer as Levine reported, that means he didn't reject it outright.

It is so damn quiet, and that's why I think the Sox will have two signings very shortly.  I need to clip out the articles for Dad in Arizona.  75th b-day present, Sox sign Pierzynski.

I will not comment on the politically incorrect manner in which he inquired about Pierzynski's status over the phone today, suffice it to say he was born and raised in Bridgeport though. :lol:  :o  :bang

i have got to take a stab at this. they better get that damn pollack signed, god damn it.... just trying to give everyone a view of your old man.

i have got to take a stab at this. they better get that damn pollack signed, god damn it.... just trying to give everyone a view of your old man.

Not that far off.

Not wanting to offend anyone here, remember this is coming from a 75 yr. old lifelong Sox fan, stranded in Arizona, looking for White Sox news.

I quote:

"Any news on the Pollack catcher? What about the Jap 2nd baseman?"

I told him if they'd sign Iguchi, they'd have to do something with Harris.

I quote:

"Who gives a s***." :lol:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
Not that far off.

Not wanting to offend anyone here, remember this is coming from a 75 yr. old lifelong Sox fan, stranded in Arizona, looking for White Sox news.

I quote:

"Any news on the Pollack catcher?  What about the Jap 2nd baseman?"

I quote:

Just remember the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
"Any news on the Pollack catcher?  What about the Jap 2nd baseman?"

I quote:

That would make a good banner. :)

I think LAD is our only competition for AJP. If you look at the other teams most of them are set at C. Those that are not have less to offer than the CWS.

The RJ trade is done. What remains is the Green for Navarro trade. If that goes down then there CWS becomes the only viable place for AJP. KW does not have to rush with this. That gives him a solid advantage over AJ in the negotiations. This is an enhancement & not a need.

The best thing that happened in this off-season is that the small-mid revenue teams like CIN, PIT, MIL, DET, TOR have already spent the money. Most of the big market teams don't need a 2B, or C. That leaves the lowest revenue teams & the LAD the only real competition for the CWS.

According to this weeks Sports Weekly, the Sox offer to AJ was a 1 yr, $2 mill deal. If no one else has made a similar offer, fine. But he's worth at least $2.75, $3 mill a yr.

Would AJ accept 7M/3? I think that's fair & given AJ's health & performance history

the gain of having him outweighs the risk of him failing expectations.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
I think LAD is our only competition for AJP.  If you look at the other teams most of them are set at C.  Those that are not have less to offer than the CWS.

The RJ trade is done.  What remains is the Green for Navarro trade.  If that goes down then there CWS becomes the only viable place for AJP.  KW does not have to rush with this.  That gives him a solid advantage over AJ in the negotiations.  This is an enhancement & not a need.

The best thing that happened in this off-season is that the small-mid revenue teams like CIN, PIT, MIL, DET, TOR have already spent the money.  Most of the big market teams don't need a 2B, or C.  That leaves the lowest revenue teams & the LAD the only real competition for the CWS.

I'd be very surprised if he went to LA. LA fans give their players a lot of s***, and he'd face the Giants 19 times. Why put yourself through that kind of crap? Come back to the AL central and put up some good numbers

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
According to this weeks Sports Weekly, the Sox offer to AJ was a 1 yr, $2 mill deal. If no one else has made a similar offer, fine. But he's worth at least $2.75, $3 mill a yr.

I think Sports Weekly is a good magazine, but a lot of the info is usually a week or two old... WSCR said the Sox are still talking to AJ's agent... That might have been their opening offer.

KW likes option years, so I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox nab either one of these two players, option years are involved. (FWIW, I think option years are a great way to go)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
I think Sports Weekly is a good magazine, but a lot of the info is usually a week or two old... WSCR said the Sox are still talking to AJ's agent... That might have been their opening offer.

KW likes option years, so I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox nab either one of these two players, option years are involved.  (FWIW, I think option years are a great way to go)

yeah i like the idea too

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
With absolutely no other catching prospects in the system that will be able to be a contributor in the majors for a few years, there's no reason not to give A.J. a 2 yr deal.

This is true. Especially with the fact that KW gave Sandy Alomar Jr. 2 years a couple of years ago at over $2 million per, and at that point he could barely walk. AJ is far superior to what Sandy was when he came to the Sox. I saw Sandy at the Boston hotel in September 2003. My wife noticed how bad he was limping and wondered how he could play. You really have to give Sandy credit, he really has nothing left, physically. He a big man but his knees are so cashed he has no power. He can't throw, his game calling is vastly overrated (the team era when he is catching is usually higher than it is when someone else is. In fact, during his prime in Cleveland, the team era was almost a run a game higher a few seasons) But he still makes himself at least a marginally valuable guy on the roster.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
I think Tampa is also competing for AJP.  Qwerty said he was from that area so they may have some advantage there.

TB has only a few million and two or three other spots to fill--2b, OF. They have Toby Hall at C.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)

KW likes option years, so I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox nab either one of these two players, option years are involved.  (FWIW, I think option years are a great way to go)

I'd like to think this was only the first offer. A 2nd offer would be more in line w/ what AJ deserves. Yet I've only heard of one offer to AJ, after KW "re-thought" AJ's fit

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
With absolutely no other catching prospects in the system that will be able to be a contributor in the majors for a few years, there's no reason not to give A.J. a 2 yr deal.

Good point. If they don't offer a 2 yr deal, it must be that they aren't sure he'll be a good fit on the sox. The Sox certainly don't have any guys beating down the doors in AA or AAA