$4M cost to OK taxpayers to defend Nichols

Texsox

CNN Link

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- Oklahoma taxpayers spent almost $4.2 million to provide a defense for bombing conspirator Terry Nichols, paying for such things as books, seminars, lawn care, coffee sweetener and an alarm system.

Expenses filed by court-appointed defense attorney Brian Hermanson included $28.05 so Nichols could read the book, "The American Terrorist," an account of the life of Oklahoma City bombing mastermind Timothy McVeigh.

A $300 claim was filed for lawn care costs for one of the defense attorneys, whose $750-a-month rental house in McAlester was paid for by taxpayers during Nichols' trial before a Pittsburg County judge.

More at the link.

Unbelievable! McVeigh was a child compared to this scum bag.

I read all about him. He was bad news. Drugs, beaten people, murder conspiracies, & a major vendetta against the DEA&FBI.

Lawyers are out of F'g control! I hope someone in OK protests against this.

Call your local officials & complain, complain, complain! Do it so often they get sick to their stomach & change the law there.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Unbelievable!  McVeigh was a child compared to this scum bag.

I read all about him.  He was bad news.  Drugs, beaten people, murder conspiracies, & a major vendetta against the DEA&FBI.

Lawyers are out of F'g control!  I hope someone in OK protests against this.

Call your local officials & complain, complain, complain!  Do it so often they get sick to their stomach & change the law there.

Would you also limit the amount of money the state spends to convict the accused? Limiting the resources that an innocent poor person has is a great way to get poor people off the streets.

Poor, accused of a murder? Just go right to jail. Save us all some money, hell we know you are guilty.

Rich, accused of a murder? Hire a legal Dream Team, search for the real killers, and in a few years, attend your college's BCS National Championship Game.

Justice, American Style

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Unbelievable!  McVeigh was a child compared to this scum bag.

I read all about him.  He was bad news.  Drugs, beaten people, murder conspiracies, & a major vendetta against the DEA&FBI.

Lawyers are out of F'g control!  I hope someone in OK protests against this.

Call your local officials & complain, complain, complain!  Do it so often they get sick to their stomach & change the law there.

Hmm, but wouldn't that be denying McViegh his free speech rights to be heard by a jury of his peers with the best defense possible?

Come on you two, I think you know that's not what he means (At least I hope it's not since I'm defending him ;) ) I think he means the BS about lawncare and a book. Come on, this is ridiculous. And coffee sweetener? Everyone knows coffee's better black anyway!

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Come on you two, I think you know that's not what he means (At least I hope it's not since I'm defending him  ;) ) I think he means the BS about lawncare and a book. Come on, this is ridiculous. And coffee sweetener? Everyone knows coffee's better black anyway!

Spoilsport. :finger

The problem is the system. It's corrupt to no end because of greed.

Re-design the system so that it's less corruptible. Common sense.

Refer to the miranda rights. If you can not afford an attorney the court will appoint one for you. No where does that imply the defense as a right to bilk taxpayers for lawncare services!

And I agree wholeheartedly on capping the prosecution as well. It always comes down to weighing whether the value of their prosecution is worth more than the cost of their prosecution. In the OK city bombing case prosecuting Nichols is probably worth the cost but in most cases it's probably not.

Like medical fees, legal fees are skyrocketing out of control as well.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Shouldn't capitalists believe that the market should determine the cost? After all, lawyers are just working hard to make theirs, why should anyone control that? :P

That's the problem, they're using government money. If everyone came out of their own pockets prices would be much more reasonable.

I was being facetious actually. There should be a limit to what lawyers can charge for and can't charge for. But I think part of this problem is having people go to court sometimes five or six times for the same thing... and Terry Nichols is a prime example. If you're convicted of a federal crime, why should you be subject to the same trial for the same crime on a state level? Especially in a situation where the sentence is death or life without parole.