Solid Southsiders

southsider2k5

I agreed with that. As much as SOX fans lament with Judy/Jon he has been very consistent. So that gives fans & Ozzie in particular the ability to count on Jon to deliver our minimal expectation while maintaining our hopes that he will have a breakout year for us.

Jon's potential always gives us hope!

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
Brian Taylor had alot of potential as well...that got the Yankees Far.

so you are saying that the White Sox aren't going to go far because of Jon Garland?

looks like I'll have to figure out that ignore feature after all.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
You know I though there was an E in it.. but it didn't look right..My point was allot of time we hear about potential, and they never pan out.. the word is thrown around way to much with the SOX.

but that potential usually means the guy NEVER does anything. Garland has been a solid pitcher. so while he hasn't reached his potential, he's certaintly been productive.

that's what baseball is all about...potential.

That's why there are so many minor league levels and 50 rounds in the draft. Granted there are 25 major league roster spots per team, but filter that down to every level...that's a potential of 100-150 more players in your system. And that's not including the independent leagues or players overseas. Ben Davis was a number 2 draft pick...Mike Piazza in the 41st round. Who had more potential at the time of their drafts?

All teams take chances, there are more factors involved in the success of a baseball player than there are in any other sport, except maybe hockey.

QUOTE(Molto @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
so you are saying that the White Sox aren't going to go far because of Jon Garland?

looks like I'll have to figure out that ignore feature after all.

Welcome back Molto! Where were you the past several months?

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Consistently mediocre

Thats because you people need to quit expecting him to be a #1 right now and realize that he is a 4/5 and not at his full potential yet... get the f*** over it he has not made our team worse

Consistently mediocre

Thats because you people need to quit expecting him to be a #1 right now and realize that he is a 4/5 and not at his full potential yet... get the f*** over it he has not made our team worse

I wanted to show off quote inheritance here.

"http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=2&t=28233&qpid=549864,549832"

Anyways Jon is ONLY 25 yrs old. Think about how many starters there are in the league that are close to .500 record with as many games started as Jon. Very few. They are rare talents. It's why Buehrle is near phenomenal at age 25.

Garcia is 29. Garcia was performing well below Jon's level at age 25. The thing about Jon is that when you ask why he's a near .500 pitcher the answer he's a mental case. His stuff is great & his command & control are solid. But he sucks at the stealth aspect of being a big league pitcher. He needs to learn the phrase

"You won't know what's coming, till I strike!". That's the art of pitching. Is 2005

the year he learns that? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

Keep in mind this. He was babied by Manuel & the pitching coaches before Ozzie

arrived. Last year he had his first winning season, his greatest number of great & good starts, & his least number of horrible starts. Ozzie seemed to push the right

buttons to help Jon learn the stealth part of the game.

If Jon just cuts down on his horrible starts by say 2 or 3 games, you will see a significant change in his overall numbers. If Jon has a breakout 1st half he'll make the all-star team. His stuff is that good.

You know I though there was an E in it.. but it didn't look right..My point was allot of time we hear about potential, and they never pan out.. the word is thrown around way to much with the SOX.

This is something that I hate about White Sox fans. They have no patience!!!!!! A kid is 25 years old and if he doesn't win 18-20 games, he's a bum trade the guy. Look at all the crap being said about Joe B.

I'm sure these were the same White Sox fans who were glad as hell to get rid of Sammy Sosa because he hadn't lived up to his potential.

Good thing none of you were the Dodgers GM or you would have traded Beltre long ago.

QUOTE(KittleWalk83 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
I'm sure these were the same White Sox fans who were glad as hell to get rid of Sammy Sosa because he hadn't lived up to his potential. 

Replace 'lived up to his potential' with 'injected artificial substances into his body and baseball bats'.

Replace 'lived up to his potential' with 'injected artificial substances into his body and baseball bats'.

Well a former White Sox player got busted for corked bats. Albert Belle ring a bell?

If you checked Sosa's state even pre steriod days, 93-96 He hit 30 HR each full season and had 25 in 94. Hmm seems he started meeting his potential.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
When Garland believes in his stuff enough to say, "here it is ... hit it" then he'll step up into the quality major league starter club.

Definately. You can just see it in his eyes most starts. He is hoping to get out hitters, instead of knowing he is going to get out hitters.