White Sox exact offer to A.J. Pierzynski...

Jabroni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Basically?  Not even close.  He didn't lie about a surgery.  He didn't ask a team employee not to tell on him.  He didn't turn down a long term extension.  He didn't promise to turn over medical records, then didn't.  He didn't promise to work out for teams, then didn't.  He didn't claim to be working out, when he had just had a secret surgery days before.  He didn't consult another agent a year before firing his own agent.  But other than that I could see how it is close...

Point taken. However, and you would have no way of knowing, I was refering to a year ago, when Maggs was healthy and turned down the Sox offer.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Which may be correct, but I don't appreciate these negotiating tactics.

Williams is acting as if we're the only suitors bidding for Iguchi.  Publically, we are, but I'm bracing myself for another mystery club stealing Iguchi from our grasp.  Our interest sure is a noticeable shift from Williams self appointed "flying under the radar" position. 

Personally, I find it's ridiculous to observe Mets and Boras debating millions/years, while White Sox are fretting over $600,000.  I don't wish to be educated on the nuances of negotiations; just pay the amount to improve our ballclub.

I'm so sick and tired of these posts.

So, which is it? Do you want Kenny to inform the public on each and every move he makes? or do you want Kenny to fly entirely under the radar and ignore any comments made by other clubs?

I don't get it.

Kenny is operating as if the Sox are the only team pursuing Iguchi? How is that any different from any of his other "radar" tactics? If he were to go out and say he was in a bidding war with another team, then, everybody would jump off a cliff because we couldn't win a bidding war. But, if Kenny acts as if we are the only ones interested in a player, or shows any form of mild interest, everyone yells "radar."

Right now, Kenny is negotiating with both AJP and Iguchi. He has gone public with one (possibily two) of his offers and has shown the Sox faithful that he is very serious about these two players. What more can we ask of him?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Interesting that AJ is basically pulling the same stuff that Maggs pulled, but no one is calling him a greedy SOB and wishing we don't sign him for it. :banghead

what the f*** are you talking about?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Which may be correct, but I don't appreciate these negotiating tactics.

Williams is acting as if we're the only suitors bidding for Iguchi.  Publically, we are, but I'm bracing myself for another mystery club stealing Iguchi from our grasp.  Our interest sure is a noticeable shift from Williams self appointed "flying under the radar" position. 

Personally, I find it's ridiculous to observe Mets and Boras debating millions/years, while White Sox are fretting over $600,000.  I don't wish to be educated on the nuances of negotiations; just pay the amount to improve our ballclub.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)

So, which is it?  Do you want Kenny to inform the public on each and every move he makes? or do you want Kenny to fly entirely under the radar and ignore any comments made by other clubs?

I don't get it.

Kenny is operating as if the Sox are the only team pursuing Iguchi?  How is that any different from any of his other "radar" tactics?  If he were to go out and say he was in a bidding war with another team, then, everybody would jump off a cliff because we couldn't win a bidding war.  But, if Kenny acts as if we are the only ones interested in a player, or shows any form of mild interest, everyone yells "radar."

Right now, Kenny is negotiating with both AJP and Iguchi.  He has gone public with one (possibily two) of his offers and has shown the Sox faithful that he is very serious about these two players.  What more can we ask of him?

Just a point of contention from me. KW hasn't changed his negotiating style. On Iguchi, it has been the Japanese baseball website that has been the source of US information on this process. It has been picked up by US sources. And as for AJP, it was AJ's agent who has been talking about what was offered, and confirming the White Sox interest. The Sox have essentially said nothing about either player.

Edited by Chisoxfn

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)

So, which is it?  Do you want Kenny to inform the public on each and every move he makes? or do you want Kenny to fly entirely under the radar and ignore any comments made by other clubs?

I don't get it.

Kenny is operating as if the Sox are the only team pursuing Iguchi?  How is that any different from any of his other "radar" tactics?  If he were to go out and say he was in a bidding war with another team, then, everybody would jump off a cliff because we couldn't win a bidding war.  But, if Kenny acts as if we are the only ones interested in a player, or shows any form of mild interest, everyone yells "radar."

Right now, Kenny is negotiating with both AJP and Iguchi.  He has gone public with one (possibily two) of his offers and has shown the Sox faithful that he is very serious about these two players.  What more can we ask of him?

:rolly :bang

It's quite simple what I stated. Let me break it down very....slowly.. for complete comprehension. All of the public interest in Iguchi, whether it's figures detailing our contract or articles discussing our interest, goes against Williams "flying under radar" mentality. Not that he has to publically state his intentions of signing Iguchi, for example, but interest in AJ is unquestionable. In the past, Williams has stated publically (believe me or not, because I cannot locate the link) in which he expresses dismay with AJ's agent releasing contract proposals. IMO, release of contract information is in stark contrast with Williams policy. Perhaps Kenny believes the public perception of our involvement may incline another organization to act.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
:rolly  :bang 

It's quite simple what I stated.  Let me break it down very....slowly.. for complete comprehension.  All of the public interest in Iguchi, whether it's figures detailing our contract or articles discussing our interest, goes against Williams "flying under radar" mentality.  Not that he has to publically state his intentions of signing Iguchi, for example, but interest in AJ is unquestionable.  In the past, Williams has stated publically (believe me or not, because I cannot locate the link) in which he expresses dismay with AJ's agent releasing contract proposals. IMO, release of contract information is in stark contrast with Williams policy.  Perhaps Kenny believes the public perception of our involvement may incline another organization to act.

The release of contract information in the cases of both Iguchi and AJP have not come out of the Sox camp.

AJP Information- AJP's agent

Iguchi Information- Japanese Newspapers

Thanks for playing.

:headshake :fight

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Guys I'm not going to say it again.  Keep that other stuff the heck out of this thread.  There is a thread at SL&P for those that want to discuss that.

he's layin down the law, look out. :angry:

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I think that KW's comments that we would have our final team decided by the end of this week has made a lot of people think that the moves would have been completed already.

Sometimes I think KW would be best served giving more evasive answers... he gets too specific sometimes and it corners him

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Well I know people getting angry about how aj or iguchi hasnt signed yet. Were still talking to them until Kenny Willams says theres no chance or unless someone signs them then dont get angry.

That means nothing to me. People get angry around here if the wind blows. It's already been a wildly successful offseason yet people still cry and complain like the sky is falling.

Tthe old adage says it best. You can't please everyone.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
The release of contract information in the cases of both Iguchi and AJP have not come out of the Sox camp.

AJP Information- AJP's agent

Iguchi Information- Japanese Newspapers

Thanks for playing.

:headshake  :fight

Information doesn't need to come out of "Sox camp." Pierzynski and Iguchi's agent's don't heed to Williams beliefs, as they are attempting to give their agents the best possible offers. When contract information/interest is made public, as I've referenced in my previous posts, Williams "under the radar" isn't beneficial to our efforts in obtaining players.

I don't know how much longer you will continue this useless argument. You are defending Williams, while I'm simply suggesting recent news of Iguchi's offer goes against F.U.R. policy. Are you going to continue to PM me following every post, as to make sure you have the final word? Fine. I fail to understand the difficulty with accepting my position.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
That means nothing to me.  People get angry around here if the wind blows.  It's already been a wildly successful offseason yet people still cry and complain like the sky is falling. 

Tthe old adage says it best.  You can't please everyone.

Well put.

A lot of the folks that post here don't know what they want from Kenny or the organiziation as a whole.

I'm noticing a lot of fans aren't happy unles they're b****ing. Wheter its b****ing about Kenny or Reinsdorfian finacial practies, its always something.

The men and women running this organization are professionals. Yes, you are a fan, and as such, are entitled to b**** and moan about whatever you deem necessary; but, give it a rest sometimes.

Just remember, a lot of this bickering will end when April rolls around. Our team will take the field and we will once again unite. :lol:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Information doesn't need to come out of "Sox camp." Pierzynski and Iguchi's agent's don't heed to Williams beliefs, as they are attempting to give their agents the best possible offers.  When contract information/interest is made public, as I've referenced in my previous posts, Williams "under the radar" mentality doesn't appear to take effect. 

I don't know how much longer you will continue this useless argument.  You are defending Williams, while I'm simply suggesting recent news of Iguchi's offer goes against F.U.W. policy. Are you going to continue to PM me following every post, as to make sure you have the final word.  Fine.  I fail to understand the difficulty with accepting my position.

Flash hits it on the head. Everyone is making a big deal out of KW stating he is flying under the radar. No GM gives out their full deck of cards. Its not in their best interest and doesnt help there clubs. All that this would do is create a bidding war for player X. Steinbrenner doesnt go public on dollar amounts until the ink is dry. Look at how long it takes for the yanks to announce the finalized contract and to introduce the player to their fans. The agent and family members of the players are the sources for most of these leaks. The agent is trying to get multiple suitors to drive up the value of their player to get the best possible deal. The other possible place is leaks from other organizational guys who should keep their mouths shut. KW doesnt have a good poker face and that is the problem. Someone from the press asks him a question and his body language/facial expressions/ and comments give the game away. His self imposed hiatus from the media is due to his inability to keep things under tap.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Information doesn't need to come out of "Sox camp." Pierzynski and Iguchi's agent's don't heed to Williams beliefs, as they are attempting to give their agents the best possible offers.  When contract information/interest is made public, as I've referenced in my previous posts, Williams "under the radar" isn't beneficial to our efforts in obtaining players.

I don't know how much longer you will continue this useless argument.  You are defending Williams, while I'm simply suggesting recent news of Iguchi's offer goes against F.U.R. policy. Are you going to continue to PM me following every post, as to make sure you have the final word?  Fine.  I fail to understand the difficulty with accepting my position.

I accept your position. I don't agree with it.

Personally, I'd prefer a general manager than doesn't come out with each and every move he makes/plans to make. These guys are professionals. They have expectations just like any other employee in the work world. If they don't meet the expectations of the organization, they will be dealt with just like any other lax/ineffective employee. I just can't agree that "flying under the radar" is simply vailing failure. Kenny doesn't want the whole world to know who he is interested in, thats just how he operates, he has been consistent with it since day one. s*** happens. Omar Vizquel happens. A good general manger should be able to roll with the punches and react to all things unexpected; in my opinion, Kenny Willams has that quality.

Rock on.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Right now I'm thinking neither.

Well, its at least one!!!

AJ Pierzynski signed a one year deal!!!

Contract information became public and Kenny was still able to sign someone!? Shut up. I guess this professional general manager isn't so bad after all.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Well, its at least one!!!

AJ Pierzynski signed a one year deal!!!

Contract information became public and Kenny was still able to sign someone!?  Shut up.  I guess this professional general manager isn't so bad after all.

Cha ching... good job KW :notworthy