Dems to Force Election Result Debate

Texsox

The report, mirroring complaints from Ohio voters, cites machine shortages and extremely long lines in minority and Democratic precincts. It alleges intimidation of voters, a purging of registration lists and other irregularities.

Many problems stemmed from "intentional misconduct and illegal behavior" by Ohio Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell, the co-chair of the Bush-Cheney campaign in the state, the report argues.

I still find it troubling that we have Dems and GOPs in charge of elections. It seems that there needs to be a non-partisan or at least a balanced process in place. Does it really make sense that the head of a party's campaign should be in charge of the election?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

I still find it troubling that we have Dems and GOPs in charge of elections. It seems that there needs to be a non-partisan or at least a balanced process in place. Does it really make sense that the head of a party's campaign should be in charge of the election?

You don't think they'd let someone else control that, do you?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
You don't think they'd let someone else control that, do you?

My guess it would take a state by state referedum. ASAIK each state can decide who controls elections in their state. In the mean time, at least some law that you cannot be the Chairperson of a Campaign and be overseeing the campaign. Is that too much to ask?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
My guess it would take a state by state referedum. ASAIK each state can decide who controls elections in their state. In the mean time, at least some law that you cannot be the Chairperson of a Campaign and be overseeing the campaign. Is that too much to ask?

It wouldn't seem to be asking too much, no. In fact it should be among the more obvious safeguards, along with the kind of safeguards that would ensure a state's Secretary of State does not simultaneously head up a partisan state election campaign, oversee the state's Division of Elections, and work for your candidate's Brother who happens to be the Governor.

And before anyone has to bother... Hey Flaxx, 2005 calling... Get the $%*&! over it already! :ph34r:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
It wouldn't seem to be asking too much, no.  In fact it should be among the more obvious safeguards, along with the kind of safeguards that would ensure a state's Secretary of State does not simultaneously head up a partisan state election campaign, oversee the state's Division of Elections, and work for your candidate's Brother who happens to be the Governor.

And before anyone has to bother...  Hey Flaxx, 2005 calling... Get the $%*&! over it already! :ph34r:

Could you imagine if something like that was set up in the Iraq elections?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
:banghead  :sleep  :P

From your pictogram I can conclude that:

a ) your baby girl is crying all night and making you bang your head against the wall, and...

b ) you are so tired the next day you just fall asleep at the computer, and...

c ) you are now delerious.

How'd I do? :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
From your pictogram I can conclude that:

a ) your baby girl is crying all night and making you bang your head against the wall, and...

b ) you are so tired the next day you just fall asleep at the computer, and...

c ) you are now delerious.

How'd I do?  :D

Actually, she's sleeping pretty well, thank you.

:)

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
You need a hug?

No, a cot. :sleep

Actually, the kid is fighting a viral thing that has her kind of miserable right now. We spent the morning on New Years' Eve in the ER bacause she was having unexplained chest pains that appear now to be related to the infection. Happily, she is on the mend.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
No, a cot.  :sleep

Actually, the kid is fighting a viral thing that has her kind of miserable right now.  We spent the morning on New Years' Eve in the ER bacause she was having unexplained chest pains that appear now to be related to the infection.  Happily, she is on the mend.

That's good. Hopefully the recovery continues. :pray

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)

I am with you on the point that it does seem kind of unfair to allow the person in charge of the election to be a campaign chairman but the voters of Ohio elected this guy to office and they did it knowing full well what his job responsibilities are and where he stands ideologically. If they dont like the way he did his job they can vote him out of office.

As with Florida in 2000 it seems that most of the complaining about the way this election went down is from Democrats who dont even live in that state.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
I am with you on the point that it does seem kind of unfair to allow the person in charge of the election to be a campaign chairman but the voters of Ohio elected this guy to office and they did it knowing full well what his job responsibilities are and where he stands ideologically.  If they dont like the way he did his job they can vote him out of office. 

As with Florida in 2000 it seems that most of the complaining about the way this election went down is from Democrats who dont even live in that state.

It didn't matter who they voted for, a DEM or GOP would be in charge of the election. That same person could be the campaign chairperson for a candidate?!

Our system does make for some strange situations. You cared about Florida last time as well. If it had gone DEM, Gore for Four. So I think every American should have been interested and cared.

I still think we have a lot of opportunity to make our elections better. So much technology is not being used. I like Texas' early election system. We have polling palces set up weeks before the election for early voting. Drop in, quick and easy.

I read / heard somewhere that a majority of the district in Ohio are "contolled" by Dems, therefore, the election offials in a majority of districts are...well...Dem. It would have taken a major conspiracy between Dem and Gop to pull off what the Boxers of the world claim. This isn't just about one guy. He's powerless when you get right down to the nitty gritty. It's more about an antiquated system of voting.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 05:45 AM)
  We have polling palces set up weeks before the election for early voting. Drop in, quick and easy.

I don't like early voting. I don't like it being made 'easy', just so lazy assholes can take their sweet time to vote. It is a right and responsibility to vote, the polls are open for a long time on the voting day, and it is not like that day just 'sneaks up' on anyone.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
I don't like early voting.  I don't like it being made 'easy', just so lazy assholes can take their sweet time to vote.  It is a right and responsibility to vote, the polls are open for a long time on the voting day, and it is not like that day just 'sneaks up' on anyone.

I dislike it because of any last minute stuff that comes up in campaigns. However, it is not much different than absentee voting, which has to be completed well before hand. It has increased voter turnout in Texas. You can avoid long Election Day lines. Have a more relaxed time.

People are busy, voting foesn't sneak up, but other responsibilities do. Spending 2 hours in an election line is not the best use of my time, perhaps for you and your employees it is.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
It didn't matter who they voted for, a DEM or GOP would be in charge of the election. That same person could be the campaign chairperson for a candidate?!

Our system does make for some strange situations. You cared about Florida last time as well. If it had gone DEM, Gore for Four. So I think every American should have been interested and cared.

I still think we have a lot of opportunity to make our elections better. So much technology is not being used. I like Texas' early election system.  We have polling palces set up weeks before the election for early voting. Drop in, quick and easy.

Except from what I read/heard, Blackwell did not release enough voting machines - aggravating already long lines while nearly 30 machines stood unused in Columbus alone, because they were never delivered to polling places. Also, from what I've read/heard, Blackwell did not allow a full hand recount in the state despite the fact that the 3% hand recount did not match the machine count and was required by state law. Also, from what I've read/heard, there are investigations ongoing in regards to actual vote tampering, with video evidence to back it up.

Couple that, with a buggy e-voting system that covers nearly 1/3 of Ohio voters that does not have a paper trail.

And you wounder why people had problems with voting in Ohio.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)

i just find it quite funny that bush co-chair is leading a complant against him

odd indeed