Dems to Force Election Result Debate

Texsox

As usual many of you are grossly oversimplifying the election process.

At every polling place there is suppose to be an equal number of GOP & DEM

election officials. They are suppose to work together to make sure things run smoothly & honestly. They serve as checks & balances against one another.

The problem is .. the pay sucks .. and in most polling places they can not find enough people to take up that job. So what usually happens is on election day there is a shortage of officials & the balance does not exist. Depending on the makeup of the region either DEMS or GOP might outnumber the other & in some cases the other might have no representation at all.

The only solution is to move national voting day to national voting weekend. The super tuesday thing is a joke. Voting should start on a Friday morning & end on a Monday night. If you have to increase the pay for the officials then do it. More people would be able to take up that job because it would occupy their weekend instead of a workday.

But this will never happen because greed runs the nation. Every single aspect of it.

The problems in this election were pretty specific. Long lines - up to 12 hours - in some precincts in Ohio. Buggy voting machines that were recording votes for one candidate instead of the selected candidate. Lack of paper trail. Some evidence of vote tampering.

This election, like most, suffered from a mixture of negligence and fraud. 95% sure that it didn't make a difference, but we owe it to ourselves to get elections right, every time.

I wonder what an acceptable amount of error is in a national election? Zero is obviously an impossibility. Two much and elections are questionable. .05% 1%? I wonder if there are tolerances established.

Some of the error is relatively minor. I'll bet we all have friends who have moved and not sent in a change of address and just went back and voted in their old precinct. Perhaps mail in absentee ballots were filled out by friends and relations, etc. I seriously doubt there is a possibility to rig an election on a national or state scale before the election.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
I wonder what an acceptable amount of error is in a national election? Zero is obviously an impossibility. Two much and elections are questionable. .05% 1%? I wonder if there are tolerances established.

Some of the error is relatively minor. I'll bet we all have friends who have moved and not sent in a change of address and just went back and voted in their old precinct. Perhaps mail in absentee ballots were filled out by friends and relations, etc. I seriously doubt there is a possibility to rig an election on a national or state scale before the election.

Unless your the Daleys. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)

It happens more than you might realize. Kennedy won the Presidency in 1960 thanks to the "Lake Michigan" and cemetery vote in Illinois and some creative voter turnout in Texas.

A big part of the final Bush victory in Florida in 2000 had to do with a combination of votes that did not meet criteria to be a valid vote (i.e. absentee ballots returned after the deadline, in some cases even signed and dated after the election) and other votes that met the criteria to a larger extent being disqualified.

Other races have been attempted to be stolen by voter intimidation and harrassment too, from both sides of the aisle unfortunately. Those means include supplying specific districts with not enough machinery, ballots or broken voting machines, challenging every voter's right to cast a ballot, etc.

There are lots of ways to swing an election on the dirty side. And sadly "hacking" black box voting is extremely easy. Without a paper trail to proved who people voted for, when they voted for them - it increases doubt in the system.