White Sox and Iguchi far apart in Negotiations

Sanjay2000

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
It has nothing to do with Depodesta that Green nixed the deal. 

I'm talking about DePodesta "trading" Green, even though Green had a no-trade clause, and potentially screwing things up for the sox. I know DePo didn't cause the Green to AZ deal to fall through, but this guy is in over his head by all the mistakes he's made.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
How do we exactly know what the Sox budget is?  Since when did we get into the 75 million range like a lot of people on this board seem to think?  I've always thought we were more in the 66-70 range.

Before the Lee trade it was at 72 I think, and there was talk it was going to be 72-75... just speculation though

What mistakes??? This guy has actually done a decent job running the Dodgers and seems to have a plan. Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder, but I think those original RJ rumors were so far fetched it wasn't even funny.

So he dealt Green, knowing it meant he could free up the room to get Odalis Perez and Elo. Now Green wants to come back, but they have JD Drew whose going to end up replacing him.

Plus the guy traded for this little known player Jayson Werth, who when healthy was looking like a guy with pretty good upside. I think he's out for half of the year though.

Guys with no trades get dealt all the time, Green just doesn't want to go, but that doesn't mean you don't just keep trying to move him hoping he sees the picture and finally accepts moving elsewhere.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
How do we exactly know what the Sox budget is?  Since when did we get into the 75 million range like a lot of people on this board seem to think?  I've always thought we were more in the 66-70 range.

I have heard the low side is 72 and up to 75 for the right players. Or if we were gonna make a push at the dead line. I think pierz is the ''right'' player.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I have heard the low side is 72 and up to 75 for the right players. Or if we were gonna make a push at the dead line. I think pierz is the ''right'' player.

every team got 4 million from the XM Radio deal, and I'm sure the Sox are adding revenue from the Comcast deal...

I'd say that trading for Brad Penny when there was specualtion before hand that he was hurt was a mistake. I'd say that not extending Steve Finley's deal was a mistake. I'd say that trading away premium big league talent (Mota-Lo Duca) because you don't want to trade parts of a loaded farm system was a mistake. I'd say trading for Choi because you like his walk numbers was a huge mistake to make in a pennant race. All of these moves have been apologized and rationalized for over and over by the moneyball-crowd. I understand that there is blind-love for Beane, but it's ridiculous that De Podesta is afforded this too. These guys are never called out on mistakes by the usual suspects while superior GM's (terry ryan and John Shuerholz) are given less credit byt hte stat crowd.

i dont know if any of you explored the japanball site but there are some funny pictures on there... i think going to a game might be more fun in japan... they do a ballon release instead of take me out to the ball game in the 7th... the have a drummer keeping a beat to coreagraphed chanting... and the 7 dwarfs to take pictures with

crack heads anyone?

wow... they even do habichi barbacue lab feasts!

http://www.japanball.com/gallery2.htm

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I remember reading that a deal with Arizona was agreed upon even if the RJ trade didn't go through, meaning that the Dodgers would trade for Koyie Hill or Snyder.

That isn't what killed the deal. Green and AZ couldn't agree on a contract extension.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
That isn't what killed the deal.  Green and AZ couldn't agree on a contract extension.

I know that. I'm saying that the Dodgers will be trading for a young catcher anyways, regardless if Green stays or goes in LA.

Yeah I caught a Japanese ball game once, the balloons are like oversized condoms that everyone blows up in the top of the 7th for the grand release.

On Iguchi and AJ, it looks like with the offers we are making to both of them, we definitely have at least the money to sign one. My guess is if one of them gets signed first to another team, we will use the money freed up from the offer to help sign the other.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
What mistakes??? This guy has actually done a decent job running the Dodgers and seems to have a plan.  Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder, but I think those original RJ rumors were so far fetched it wasn't even funny. 

So he dealt Green, knowing it meant he could free up the room to get Odalis Perez and Elo.  Now Green wants to come back, but they have JD Drew whose going to end up replacing him. 

Plus the guy traded for this little known player Jayson Werth, who when healthy was looking like a guy with pretty good upside.  I think he's out for half of the year though. 

Guys with no trades get dealt all the time, Green just doesn't want to go, but that doesn't mean you don't just keep trying to move him hoping he sees the picture and finally accepts moving elsewhere.

I don't want to fully dissect DePo, but a few moves: LoDuca, mota, getting Choi who is prob. a reserve; getting Finley then letting him walk; trying to free up money for RJ and Charles Johnson at the deadline; basically blaming Vazquez for blowing the RJ deal [telling Vazquez they need him to take a physical the next day, knowing he's on vacation and that Vazquez had taken a physical a month earlier w/ the NYY, and saying that's the reason they were backing out]. The guy is over his head. Makes KW look like a genius.

Ok, I'm going to explain my side of the argument as best as possible. Had the Dodgers kept Mota and LoDuca they would of been taking on more money then just Brad Penny, a lot more in fact.

According to Depodesta the Dodgers payroll is a lot smaller this year. There pitching staff would of been in bigger dissaray had they not made that deal because Penny wouldn't be on the staff and then they wouldn't of had the money to resign Odalis Perez, leaving them Weaver and Ishii.

Basically put, Depodesta has to move payroll before doing anything else. And there were no reports on Penny being injured prior to the trade. However, Penny has long been a guy who has a black flag on him because they think he may be prone for an injury.

Now you can definately question the motives of the deal last year considering it was a penant race, but had Penny been healthy the Dodgers would of had a better shot with him in the rotation then LoDuca and Mota, imo. The Dodgers lacked front line pitching and needed it.

Letting Finley walk came down to financial issues and the Dodgers didn't have the money for both him and Drew so they opted for Drew.

I see reason for arguments, but people are giving the man no time. He's agressive and an upgrade over Dan Evans. Would I take him over Kenny, no, but I'm a rare Ken Williams supporter although there seem to be more of them this offseason, especially if he lands Pyrz and/or Iguchi.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
its called since arizona isnt coming close to contract extension. Means dodgers will not get the propsct catcher they want. Meaning Aj will be on their sites and if iguchi and his agents dont give him answer probably by tommrrow kenny will take money he offered and iguchi and give it aj.

That's how I interpreted it as well. Seems as if the Sox will look to sign one or the other, but not both.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Sounds to me like Iguchi wants AT VERY LEAST 2.3 million per year, which is what he was making in Japan.  I'm not so sure this amount would be enough to lure him to the States, though.

Good call. I would think he wouldn't leave the comfort of home for his current salary.

In the States, he is a small fish in a big pond. In Japan, he is a superstar on the rise. I think this additonal $1M his agent is asking for will get the deal completed in a hurry.

Its one mil Kenny, pull the trigger.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Good call.  I would think he wouldn't leave the comfort of home for his current salary.

In the States, he is a small fish in a big pond.  In Japan, he is a superstar on the rise.  I think this additonal $1M his agent is asking for will get the deal completed in a hurry.

Its one mil Kenny, pull the trigger.

God its depressing to talk about an amount of money that many people earn in their entire lifetime, as if it were newspaper money :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
God its depressing to talk about an amount of money that many people earn in their entire lifetime, as if it were newspaper money :bang

Jeez SS, don't open this can of worms. :D

The athlete-salary debate/abomination is for another day.

We have to keep things in context, no matter how absurd they may be.