White Sox and Iguchi far apart in Negotiations

Sanjay2000

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
WSCR is saying that KW said the Sox are not close to signing Iguchi, and still say they're about 600k apart.... we will see

I hope WSCR's sources are credible. If 600k is all that's separating us from Iguchi, I'm fairly confident he will be a White Sox.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
I hope WSCR's sources are credible.  If 600k is all that's separating us from Iguchi, I'm fairly confident he will be a White Sox.

yeah, it's been up and down for both ESPN and WSCR this off-season, I think WSCR was on the AJ story the last day or so way more than ESPN and Levine (But I think Levine is on vacation, so probably out of touch for the most part)

Not sure if this was posted, but I got this off whitesox.com.

The White Sox seem to have only one need remaining in the form of a utility infielder prior to a Feb. 16 report date in Tucson for pitchers and catchers. Tadahito Iguchi, an All-Star Japanese second baseman who has been offered a two-year, $4 million deal by the White Sox, could fill that void. While acknowledging the offer on Thursday, Williams stated that it would be a long shot to see Iguchi in a White Sox uniform unless both sides get creative contractually.

To add to the Iguchi news, apologies if posted already;

Williams also said chances of signing Japan League second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, considered an impact-type player, are slim. The sides are far apart on money for a three-year deal.

"With our [signing of Pierzynski], unless the other side gets very creative on the structure of the contract, there would be a very remote possibility you'll see [iguchi] in a White Sox uniform," Williams said.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
I hope WSCR's sources are credible.  If 600k is all that's separating us from Iguchi, I'm fairly confident he will be a White Sox.

The thing is you have to remember Japanese players kind of think another way. To them its about respect and he may not actually lower his offer. The other question is how much better does Kenny think he is then Alex Cora, who appears to be available for as little as 1.25, maybe even less.

Thats going to be what it comes down to. Kenny may just got to one point and then say take it or leave it. Iguchi may say forget it (its disrespectful offer; Kind of like Ichiro kept saying if the M's don't sign me to an extension well before my contract is up I'll leave because I feel disrespected) and then go focus somewhere else.

I like the idea of Iguchi because of the upside potential. Both with Iguchi and if both Shingo and Iguchi perform well in Chicago you create a media following that gets the Sox more PR and could lead to other players wanting to join the White SOx.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
To add to the Iguchi news, apologies if posted already;

That right there is different fomr another report that makes you believe its a two year deal. My guess is creativity comes down to the amount of guaranteed money and the incentives/buyout/option years.

I'm guessing 2 years with an option year and some incentives. But if its just 600K it could very well be a ploy, but if its 600K a year that may be another story.

Guy like I said earlier we would only get one of them. We choose aj and money that iguchi does not want can go to 2b out there. I know people are gonna get angry now but dont aj was good enough and if we were stuck with harris so what. Im happy we fixed one of positions lacking. Im set for 2005 season. Now if we get guy like cora. Hey, anybody be upgrade than harris and we all realize that now after signing aj today.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
It's a shame to read KW describing the chances of signing Iguchi as "remote".  As with AJ, we'll have to wait it out and see what happens.

I remember all the stuff saying after the interviews KW wouldn't sign AJ. Like you said, let's just wait a little bit on this. Who else is even looking at Iguchi?

Here it is...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=3&cset=true

Williams also said chances of signing Japan League second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, considered an impact-type player, are slim. The sides are far apart on money for a three-year deal.

"With our [signing of Pierzynski], unless the other side gets very creative on the structure of the contract, there would be a very remote possibility you'll see [iguchi] in a White Sox uniform," Williams said.

Maybe Kenny is just trying to downplay the possibilty so he can further low-ball Iguchi a bit so he signs for the Sox offer.

I remember all the stuff saying after the interviews KW wouldn't sign AJ.  Like you said, let's just wait a little bit on this.  Who else is even looking at Iguchi?

The Red Sox and the Yankees were both interested but Boston traded for infielder Ramon Vazquez and lost interest. The Yankees showed luke-warm interest in Iguchi but they signed Tony Womack to start at 2nd base. Plus, they have been more worried about Randy Johnson lately.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
It's a shame to read KW describing the chances of signing Iguchi as "remote".  As with AJ, we'll have to wait it out and see what happens.

But KW isn't going to say the odds are good. Then he'd get plastered by the fans and media if they failed to land him. I think he just wants to remain koy on the whole issue. You dont' want the agent to think he's desperate or anything along those lines.

We'll see what happens, but I think Cora is the backup plan.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
But KW isn't going to say the odds are good.  Then he'd get plastered by the fans and media if they failed to land him.  I think he just wants to remain koy on the whole issue.  You dont' want the agent to think he's desperate or anything along those lines.

We'll see what happens, but I think Cora is the backup plan.

I agree. There is no way KW says things look good, until the ink is drying on the paper.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Wouldn't Cora be a better fit here because he can also play SS? I thought I remember reading that Iguchi can't play SS anymore? Even if we sign Iguchi there is no back-up SS and no chance of someone like Valdez being on the opening day roster.

But so does Miguel Cairo. And I think the positives of Miggy Cairo's game fits our needs better than the positives of Alex Cora's game. But will that mean the Sox choose Cairo over Cora? I doubt it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
But so does Miguel Cairo. And I think the positives of Miggy Cairo's game fits our needs better than the positives of Alex Cora's game. But will that mean the Sox choose Cairo over Cora? I doubt it.

I forget about Cairo because I don't think I have heard him entioned with The Sox in any rumors. Either or though, I just don't see hoe Iguchi fits, don't get me wrong, I would like him here.

well with the yanks and red sox really losing interest and the only other team with a big hole at 2B being the cards who have that position now filled... If Iguchi wants to play in America it seems he will have to do it with what the sox offer him.. but honestly id like to see Willie be our everyday 2B. I think him and Uribe had real nice chemestry going on when Valentin got hurt at the beginging of the year. And im not 2 worried of Valdez stealing 2 much time from Willie like Uribe did last year too.

Why did we not sign Grudz?

I am not sure I understand that.....

The guy had >0.300 two years back with the Cubs. He only played part of the season due to injury last year. But I would consider him at least as good as Harris if not better

He and Harris could have split time at 2B with Harris taking on the righties and Grudz playing all lefties and some righties too

I am not sure yet why no one mentioned this guy....now he is gone to the Cards, so it is moot, but I wish KW had looked at Grudz fir a one year deal