Mexican Government aids Illegal Immigration.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143433,00.html

The Mexican government should be punished for this. Illegal immigration is a major problem for us and here they are aiding and abetting it. More evidence, as if any were really needed, that they are meerly paying lip service to us on this issue.

I know that dead bodies do not bother you, but they bother the Border Patrol that has to find them by watching buzzards over head. Most Border Patrol agents wish that more migrant workers would be more carefull.

What we need is a guest worker program so the farmers can get their crops out of the fields using the only workers that want this type of work. Where else are you going to find people to spend 6-9 months following the crops, spend long hours in the fields for minimum wage, stay in one place for a couple weeks, then move on?

Migrant workers from Mexico have been part of our US agricultural system for over 100 years. Currently they risk their lives, literally, to work at a minimum wage, manual labor, seasonal jobs. They are far more likely to be victims of crimes than to commit one. They just want to earn their money and go back home. If they are discovered, they are sent home and they lose all the potential earnings. So they are ripped off for housing, ripped off on wages, and ripped off by smugglers.

I know it's fashionable to rally against illegal aliens. Living on the border, I see a much different picture than away from the border.

Why would someone risk a 10 day trek, through the wilderness, across a desert, to work at a minimum wage job?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
I know that dead bodies do not bother you, but they bother the Border Patrol that has to find them by watching buzzards over head. Most Border Patrol agents wish that more migrant workers would be more carefull.

What we need is a guest worker program so the farmers can get their crops out of the fields using the only workers that want this type of work. Where else are you going to find people to spend 6-9 months following the crops, spend long hours in the fields for minimum wage, stay in one place for a couple weeks, then move on?

Migrant workers from Mexico have been part of our US agricultural system for over 100 years. Currently they risk their lives, literally, to work at a minimum wage, manual labor, seasonal jobs. They are far more likely to be victims of crimes than to commit one. They just want to earn their money and go back home. If they are discovered, they are sent home and they lose all the potential earnings. So they are ripped off for housing, ripped off on wages, and ripped off by smugglers.

I know it's fashionable to rally against illegal aliens. Living on the border, I see a much different picture than away from the border.

Why would someone risk a 10 day trek, through the wilderness, across a desert, to work at a minimum wage job?

Actually at my new posting here in Arizona I'm less than an hour from the border but that's beside the point. I don't have a problem with migrant workers coming here for the season then going back again and I never said I did. The problem is that there needs to be some regulation and oversight. We can't simply have people running across the border then dissappearing into the fold.

That would be in everyone's benefit. I doubt that mosr people understand that the bulk of illegal immigrants are just here to do some dirty work, send money home, and sneak on back by winter.

It's easy to rally against these workers and ignore the bigger potential threat. The legal immigrants/terrorists who are able to obtain research jobs, and other positions that place them into positions to really do some damage. Illegal Juan picking lettuce in Iowa is less of a potential danger than Legal Juan working at Microsoft.

I do agree this was a mjor PR mistake by Mexico. I know they are saddened and worried about their people risking their lives to come here and want to help. Their argument is the same as those who want to place condoms in High Schooler's hands. Hey, you know and we know they are going to do it, let's keep them safe.

I would prefer that Mexico's economy grew to where this would be unneccesary.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
That would be in everyone's benefit. I doubt that mosr people understand that the bulk of illegal immigrants are just here to do some dirty work, send money home, and sneak on back by winter.

It's easy to rally against these workers and ignore the bigger potential threat. The legal immigrants/terrorists who are able to obtain research jobs, and other positions that place them into positions to really do some damage. Illegal Juan picking lettuce in Iowa is less of a potential danger than Legal Juan working at Microsoft.

I do agree this was a mjor PR mistake by Mexico. I know they are saddened and worried about their people risking their lives to come here and want to help. Their argument is the same as those who want to place condoms in High Schooler's hands. Hey, you know and we know they are going to do it, let's keep them safe.

I would prefer that Mexico's economy grew to where this would be unneccesary.

If that's the case then they should be discouraging them from going in the first place. Bush is wanting to set up a guest worker program but until that happens, if it ever does, there are still ways to do that sort of thing without hiking across mountains and paying some asshole an insane amount of money to cross.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
If that's the case then they should be discouraging them from going in the first place.  Bush is wanting to set up a guest worker program but until that happens, if it ever does, there are still ways to do that sort of thing without hiking across mountains and paying some asshole an insane amount of money to cross.

The point of the booklet was, don't do it, but if you make the difficult decision to do it, here are the dangers and here are some tips to survive.

I do not like the blatent disrespect if them doing it this may. There are many good survival manuals that could be translated and made available for the wilderness survival aspect.

We are in the middle of trials involving the deaths of 17 people who were being smuggled in a truck trailer. These people paid thousands of dollars to be smuggled into the US. Are they going to be system administrators? school teachers? retail workers? Nope. Field workers, packing shed workers, assembly line bots. How bad must their lives be to view that as an upgrade? How desperate must they be?

And we have employers who are willing to risk hiring them. Not because they wortk cheaper, illegal wages are increasing as well, but because our low unemployment rates have made some jobs impossible to fill. Many employers of these workers will pay at least minimum wage both because of a fear of getting caught and adding proof the employer knew the worker was illegal, but they pay better because of competition.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
on a side note, do you realize how dependent our country has become on cheap labor? If we were actually successful in curbing or eliminating illegal immigration from Mexico, our economy would go in the toilet.

Actually most of these workers are making minimum wage or better. As the border becomes tougher to cross, the supply of workers drops, the demand stays high, and wages increase.

But even with higher wages, US citizens do not want to be field workers following the harvest and living in sub-standard housing.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
The point of the booklet was, don't do it, but if you make the difficult decision to do it, here are the dangers and here are some tips to survive.

I saw one of the booklets on TV and it also had stuff about how not to get caught once in the US. That sounds like more than survival to me.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I saw one of the booklets on TV and it also had stuff about how not to get caught once in the US. That sounds like more than survival to me.

Yes, there was more. Plus the unofficial guide is

Don't complain. Don't commit a crime. Don't report a crime. Don't take a sick day. Avoid government officials. Don't visit a Doctor or Hospital. Don't interact with Gringos. Keep to yourself. Bribe anyone and everyone.

I cannot support the stuff beyond how to safely arrive in your destination and what to do if caught if it is go quietly, be polite, be respectful. Evading is wrong and puts US law officers at risk.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Yes, there was more. Plus the unofficial guide is

Don't complain. Don't commit a crime. Don't report a crime. Don't take a sick day. Avoid government officials. Don't visit a Doctor or Hospital. Don't interect with Gringos. Keep to yourself. Bribe anyone and everyone.

Gringos? Here we go again. Where's Yasny? :lol:

The guide also gives advice on how to live unobtrusively in the United States, advising illegals not to beat their wives or go to loud parties because either action may attract the attention of police.

Well thank God they were told... :rolly

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
The guide also gives advice on how to live unobtrusively in the United States, advising illegals not to beat their wives or go to loud parties because either action may attract the attention of police.

Well thank God they were told...  :rolly

Taking away for a moment that they are here illegally. Aliens are much more likely ro be victims of crimes than to commit one. They are also almost never going to report it. In many ways they are ideal neighbors. No noisy parties, no domestic disturbance calls on them, no complaints about the loud World Series party we will be throwing this October.

It is a shame we have diverted serious attention here, as if it was somehow going to stop terrorism. The terrorists came in from Canada.

BTW, Candians are allowed longer stays and easier access to the US than Mexicans. If we want to tighten up the borders why not start by restricting Canadians entry and VISA requirements like we do Mexicans. Perhaps because most Canadians speak English and are White??

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Taking away for a moment that they are here illegally. Aliens are much more likely ro be victims of crimes than to commit one. They are also almost never going to report it. In many ways they are ideal neighbors. No noisy parties, no domestic disturbance calls on them, no complaints about the loud World Series party we will be throwing this October.

It is a shame we have diverted serious attention here, as if it was somehow going to stop terrorism. The terrorists came in from Canada.

BTW, Candians are allowed longer stays and easier access to the US than Mexicans. If we want to tighten up the borders why not start by restricting Canadians entry and VISA requirements like we do Mexicans. Perhaps because most Canadians speak English and are White??

How many million Canadians are here illegally taxing our resources?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
How many million Canadians are here illegally taxing our resources?

No body knows.

I am talking legal visitation. Why should we have a two tiered system that Canadians can stay for months longer than Mexicans?

How many Canadians are dieing in Iraq? I just heard that a young man who was born in Reynosa, Mexico and attended High School here in the US was killed yesterday in Iraq. He was not a US citizen, but they are allowed to serve in our military. Go through the list of war deaths, read about Hispanic Congressional Medal of Honor Awardees

Here is a link

Hispanic Medal of Honor Recipients

Hispanic Americans have fought valiantly in every war in U.S. history. The Medal of Honor is the highest U.S. military distinction, awarded since the Civil War for "conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty." Forty-one men of Hispanic origin have earned it, including 21 who sacrificed their lives, and whose citations proudly end: "He gallantly gave his life for his country."

Latinos are the largest single ethnic group, in proportion to the number who served, to earn this prestigious award.

When we need a dirty job done, we look to our southern neighbor. Fight our wars, pick our crops.

Edited by Texsox