Pay Now or Later

Texsox

As I was trying to summarize the off season and money gone and money added I realized part of the balancing act is any money saved for mid-season pickups. At first I was thinking screw saving anything for mid season, let's blow this away out of the gate, then I realized we are thin in a couple areas and hoping on Frank healing. Perhaps it does make sense for KW to reserve more than a couple million for mid season stuff depending on who is having a break out year and who is having a :puke year.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
As I was trying to summarize the off season and money gone and money added I realized part of the balancing act is any money saved for mid-season pickups. At first I was thinking screw saving anything for mid season, let's blow this away out of the gate, then I realized we are thin in a couple areas and hoping on Frank healing. Perhaps it does make sense for KW to reserve more than a couple million for mid season stuff depending on who is having a break out year and who is having a  :puke year.

I've been debating this too Tex and my feeling is.....it depends......

If the feeling is that you'll need a major upgrade of Contreras or Garland to say a Vazquez then do it now when you can get a full season's worth of that upgrade and damm the budget, not having a #3 is our big hole pitching wise. Likewise, leaving the ute IFer spot unfilled doesn't sound like a wise move either though if you could get an Aurilia or Mark DeRosa signed to a minor League contract you could buy yourself some more time with this spot while you see what the market is for Cairo or Cora.

Whether to get a replacement for Frank now or hold onto to money for a replacement later is worthy of a good debate. I don't really have an opinion on that at the moment so I'd like to listen to what others think.

The one thing I am dead set against at this point is blowing the rest of the budget on an upgrade for Willie, our #9 hitter is NOT going to cost us the playoffs and Willie had a good enough season last yr and high enough upside to warrant at least a half season look.

Oh, one more thing, if you want to hold out money to replace El Duque when he gets injured then you probably shouldn't have signed the mofo to a $4 mil contract to begin with. That's all I have on that.

It would be better to use all of the Sox resources now to make the best possible team at the beginning of the season. A good start along with a buzz about the new team could help attendance. When the Sox were on a roll last year, the crowds were bigger. If they do that sooner in the year, then the attendance bump may bring the extra cash if it is needed. Not upgrading the team now may cost the Sox a game in April or May. If the Sox lose the division by one game...well.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
It would be better to use all of the Sox resources now to make the best possible team at the beginning of the season.  A good start along with a buzz about the new team could help attendance.  When the Sox were on a roll last year, the crowds were bigger.  If they do that sooner in the year, then the attendance bump may bring the extra cash if it is needed.  Not upgrading the team now may cost the Sox a game in April or May.  If the Sox lose the division by one game...well.

Will you be singing the same tune in July, or will the song be "God Damn Cheap Ass White Sox Didn't Do s*** To Improve The Team"?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Will you be singing the same tune in July, or will the song  be "God Damn Cheap Ass White Sox Didn't Do s*** To Improve The Team"?

Of course we want it all :D we are the loyal and long suffering fans :lolhitting

Will you be singing the same tune in July, or will the song be "God Damn Cheap Ass White Sox Didn't Do s*** To Improve The Team"?

Yes. I'm excited about this team. I don't want the Sox to limp along and hope a Carl Evertt/Roberto Alomar type acquistion kicks them in gear to catch up to the Twinkies. I want them to be on a mission from day one with nothing held back. If they lose 2 of 3 in the opening series, I want Ozzie to go bezerk. The excitment of the new team will be lost if the Sox sluggishly go 10-12 in April Iguchi may be the spark plug the Sox need. Whatever way there is to improve the team now, then do it now. I'm not saying to piss away the money, just take the opportunities sooner than later.

Even if this team fails, and I don't think they will, I am extremely impressed with the overhaul KW has done.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Yes.  I'm excited about this team.  I don't want the Sox to limp along and hope a Carl Evertt/Roberto Alomar type acquistion kicks them in gear to catch up to the Twinkies.  I want them to be on a mission from day one with nothing held back.  If they lose 2 of 3 in the opening series, I want Ozzie to go bezerk.  The excitment of the new team will be lost if the Sox sluggishly go 10-12 in April  Iguchi may be the spark plug the Sox need.  Whatever way there is to improve the team now, then do it now.  I'm not saying to piss away the money, just take the opportunities sooner than later.

Even if this team fails, and I don't think they will, I am extremely impressed with the overhaul KW has done.

OK ... I can respect that point of view. :cheers

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Yes.  I'm excited about this team.  I don't want the Sox to limp along and hope a Carl Evertt/Roberto Alomar type acquistion kicks them in gear to catch up to the Twinkies.  I want them to be on a mission from day one with nothing held back.  If they lose 2 of 3 in the opening series, I want Ozzie to go bezerk.  The excitment of the new team will be lost if the Sox sluggishly go 10-12 in April  Iguchi may be the spark plug the Sox need.  Whatever way there is to improve the team now, then do it now.  I'm not saying to piss away the money, just take the opportunities sooner than later.

When is the Japanese season? I'm wondering how much rest he would have.

How many mid season acquistions actually help the team get into the playoffs? The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Sutcliffe for the cubs in 1984. Beltran had a mediocre end of the season last year, but was lights out in the playoffs. Everett and alomar were good pickups, but it didn't help. I agree, if you can improve the team now, do it now. You also might get someone cheaper and for less prospects now than at the deadline when everyone KNOWS what you need.

I'm of the opinion that KW should spend the money he has now and try to put a strong team together out of the gate. personally, I would rather see this team build a big lead and address the holes they may have midseason. Aren't most mid-season deals ones that usually end up with teams paying most or all of the remaing salaris just to unload them for prospects?