Javier Vasquez to the Sox????

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Today's Washington Post has the Sox as one of the finalist to get Vasquez from AZ.  If  the Sox can acquire him as well as a middle infielder we are going to be one of the best teams in  the American League

Linky? I would like to read the article, but I'm weary of the chances to get it done.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Better have nothing to do with Konerko

According to...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scor...umors.hotstove/

The Diamondbacks are expected to explore opportunities to trade Javier Vazquez, acquired from the Yankees in the Johnson deal, to another team, with the Orioles, Phillies and White Sox among the leading contenders.

-- Washington Post

I'm not sure this is anything to make a big deal about. It sounds like speculation more than anything else.

Is it possible to trade Garland and Konerko for Vazquez, then turn around and sign Delgado to play 1st base?

Sentimentally, I do not want to trade away Garland and Konerko. But if this is the step to take the Sox to win the division and pennant, I'll reluctantly do it. Of course, the scenario can only take place if JR is willing to move up payroll a little bit!

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
Is it possible to trade Garland and Konerko for Vazquez, then turn around and sign Delgado to play 1st base? 

Sentimentally, I do not want to trade away Garland and Konerko.  But if this is the step to take the Sox to win the division and pennant, I'll reluctantly do it.  Of course, the scenario can only take place if JR is willing to move up payroll a little bit!

Both Delgado and Vazquez will cost over $10 million each per year. So, the answer is NO f***ING WAY would this be considered.

The only way Vazquez was coming here was if the Yankees were paying some of that salary. The Yankees are now out of the picture and I can't imagine the broke Diamondbacks being willing to pay some of his salary.

This isn't happening. End of story.

if Contreras was part of the deal, there's a possiblity Vasquez could still be shipped here. However, other teams will more than likely offer something more appealing to the Diamondbacks, thus rendering our chances hopeless. The rotation is fine as it is, I don't think that it needs to be re-assessed until midseason when we know exactally where we're at.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)
Both Delgado and Vazquez will cost over $10 million each per year.  So, the answer is NO f***ING WAY would this be considered.

The only way Vazquez was coming here was if the Yankees were paying some of that salary.  The Yankees are now out of the picture and I can't imagine the broke Diamondbacks being willing to pay some of his salary.

This isn't happening.  End of story.

i dont hink we would have enough space in our cap anyway

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
Nope. Ain't happening.  The D'Backs were going to get 8 million from LA in the Green deal.  No way in hell they send cah along JV.  No way the Sox take on that much payroll.

Well if they took Everett as part of the deal along with Gar and Anderson and also kick in say $1.6 mil of the $9 mil they got from NY, then financially, it's definitely doable for the Sox and for the DBacks it'd be like having NY pay for Gar and Everett to play for them. I wouldn't count on this happening but it's not out of the realm of possibilities esp. with them basically stuck with JV as they are at the moment.

QUOTE(Ishmookie @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
if they could do a deal like sweeney contreras and everett or a combination of those they would b great. but az probably wouldnt do it

Any deal involving either Sweeney, Anderson, or McCarthy, I'm definitely not for. Unless it is strictly a trade deadline deal for a MAJOR impact player.

That's not a bad option if you think about. Delgado is going to sign w someone below what other's have received this off-season simply because the big cash players are not in the game for his services.

He expressed a desire to play for TEX so maybe he would be open to playing for CWS. Obvlously signing Delgado means trading Koney. But you are trading Koney when his value is at his highest & their is no loss of suitors for him.

Think of it this way:

Delgado+Vazquez+cash for Koney,Garland.

The cash rcvd from AZD would reduce Delgado+Vaz to 60M/3.

Koney+Garland would cost about 45M/3. The net cost is 15M/3.

Impact wise these moves would push the CWS into serious AL pennant

contenders. Much more than the division crown.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Yeah, I don't wanna see Konerko's name being in the deal.

more than likely it would be. him or mccarthy, or both including garland and another prospect

I really don't want Vazquez here.

Does he have better "stuff" then Garland? More then likely. Does he have so much better stuff that he's worth over 6 Mil dollars more then Garland? NO WAY IN HELL!

Not only that i've heard he can opt out of his contract at the end of the year if he doesn't like us or make us trade him. So if he tanks it and he forces a trade then we'd be giving Garland and whatever prospect for s***.

I don't want him here. We have a pretty good idea what Garland will do, he's done it the last three years. For all we know Vazquez could get lit up in the cell. No way should we pay 6 mil more plus prospects for a maybe!

QUOTE(Jake @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
more than likely it would be. him or mccarthy, or both including garland and another prospect

So you are saying it would be Konerko, mccarthy, Garland and another prospect for Vazquez? Konerko and McCarthy are easily worth more than Vazquez. I hope i read your post wrong. :huh:

That's not a bad option if you think about.  Delgado is going to sign w someone below what other's have received this off-season simply because the big cash players are not in the game for his services.

He expressed a desire to play for TEX so maybe he would be open to playing for CWS.  Obvlously signing Delgado means trading Koney.  But you are trading Koney when his value is at his highest & their is no loss of suitors for him. 

Think of it this way:

Delgado+Vazquez+cash for Koney,Garland.

The cash rcvd from AZD would reduce Delgado+Vaz to 60M/3.

Koney+Garland would cost about 45M/3.  The net cost is 15M/3.

Impact wise these moves would push the CWS into serious AL pennant

contenders.  Much more than the division crown.

how does wanting to play for TEX have to do anything with playing for the SOX. I cant even fathom the connection, I guess they are both in the AL, I guess that works. And he is not signing beneith his value, in fact his nagotiations with baltimore suggests he is going to get a little over market value. The hypothetical math is also off, unless we are playing xbox. There is no way this is going to happen, so forget about it.