Pierzynski to be on AM 1000

CWSGuy406

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
I know he's trying to say the right thing, and seem like a nice guy, but he truly seems like a solid guy that wants to change his image.

Yeah i believe him when he says he wants to change. It helps that he really likes the team and the city too.

AJ was also on the Score at about 4:40, and he said something I haven't heard before. He will still be arbitration eligible after the 2005 season, so if the Sox like him, he can't go anywhere as a free agent.

Also, a beat reporter from SF is on the Score now, and he's saying he didn't put much stock in the rumors about AJ's bad attitude. He criticized AJ for not taking walks, hitting into DPs, and said AJ was poor defensively - blocking balls in particularly.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
AJ was also on the Score at about 4:40, and he said something I haven't heard before. He will still be arbitration eligible after the 2005 season, so if the Sox like him, he can't go anywhere as a free agent.

Also, a beat reporter from SF is on the Score now, and he's saying he didn't put much stock in the rumors about AJ's bad attitude. He criticized AJ for not taking walks, hitting into DPs, and said AJ was poor defensively - blocking balls in particularly.

It can't be worse than Paul, Thomas, Konerko, and Lee (hitting into double plays anyway).

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)

What is this f***ing writer thinking? He is one of the very best at blocking balls in the dirt in all of baseball.

Also, why does it say cwsguy406 started this thread when he did not post until like the ninth post? Error i take it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Also, why does it say cwsguy406 started this thread when he did not post until like the ninth post? Error i take it.

There we're two threads stating that AJ would be on ESPN, so I would assume they we're merged.

I listened to the score's report Fri. w/ Glen Dickey [sp?] of the SF chron. He was on after AJ w/ Telander. He said the SF pitchers were struggling early in the year, and were complaining about a lot of stuff. Said that one of the P's quoted retracted his statements about AJ. Much of the talk of AJ being a cancer overblown

Said AJ's biggest problems were being slow arond the plate [blocking/ getting to balls] and not taking any walks. Said that any guy who's OBP is not much higher than his BA is a problem. [His cred. right there goes down, as AJ's OBP was 50 pts higher in 2003 and 40 pts in 2004]. Also said hitting into DP's a big prob.

Said AJ has a strong arm, just release and getting to balls is a prob.

From the sounds of it, his attitude and defensive skills, the biggest question marks, weren't as big as problems as the media made it out to be.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I like reading this....first it was Dye and now AJ.

While getting more lucrative offers from other teams, reportedly the Dodgers and the Cardinals, A.J. Pierzynski decided the White Sox were the best fit.

-- South Arlington Daily Herald

Definitely JR's type of players

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Anyone else think this is making the scrubbie fans a little nervous.

Here we are filling all of our holes and Hendry is doing nothing but signing the same guys who choked down the stretch last year and giving low ball offers to Beltran.

I don't think too many Cub fans are very worried about the Sox, but the ones I know ARE very pissed off at the Cubs creating holes and not filling any. In their opinion left field is now a big problem ( basically going to platoon Hollandsworth and the rookie Dubois ) and they still have no closer and SamME in right field and designated whiner. Factor in ex-Cub Mark Grudzielanek and ace pitcher Mark Mulder joining the Cardinals and this has NOT been a happy offseason for Cub fans.

Say it with me.....AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...... :D

Said that any guy who's OBP is not much higher than his BA is a problem.

I am the biggest believer in walks there is, its a very important statistic, and shows a lot about a player.

BUT.........AJ is a catcher and there are few good hitting catchers-AJ is. He lead the NL in RBI's for Catchers and here is my analysis of his obp........

The first half AJ had a 350 obp, the 2nd-281. I believe this was because he couldnt adjust to the National League, San Fransisco(west coast),poor clubhouse atmosphere(bonds), and players and the media all over him. His 350 obp is much more reflective of him as a hitter. In his 2003 season with the twins he had a 360 obp-thats about what Victor Martinez had last year.

So, Mr. Pierzynski produces runs, is a top 10 catcher, makes contact consistantly, and Mr. Konerko can beat him in a foot race...........(From Ben Davis/Jamie Burke's production to Aj Pierzynski's, theres a HUGE difference)