No DJ at Soxfest

Dick Allen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stone is as astute as it gets as a baseball analyst.

Stone was at ESPN radio a few days ago and it's interesting to note that ESPN does not have an in-house baseball analyst like the Score does and WGN does.

Depending on what happens with other personnel, there may be an opening for Stone. Suffice it to say, Stone and Reinsdorf are friends. Also suffice it to say that Reinsdorf thinks highly of DJ, as does Hawk despite internet speculation.

Wait and see on this one, not worth worrying about it. If something happens this winter, something happens. Also remember that DJ's family situation has changed recently ... new wife and baby either born or imminently on the way, plus Dj is a west coast guy.

Bringing in Steve Stone would be like a reverse Harry Carey, except we still have crappier TV distribution and instead of losing a hilarious drunk guy, we gain a smarmy ass who's play by play last year was most characterized by incessant whining about how it was anyone's fault but the Cub who made the mistake.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Stone was at ESPN radio a few days ago and it's interesting to note that ESPN does not have an in-house baseball analyst like the Score does and WGN does.

Depending on what happens with other personnel, there may be an opening for Stone.  Suffice it to say, Stone and Reinsdorf are friends.  Also suffice it to say that Reinsdorf thinks highly of DJ, as does Hawk despite internet speculation.

Wait and see on this one, not worth worrying about it.  If something happens this winter, something happens.  Also remember that DJ's family situation has changed recently ... new wife and baby either born or imminently on the way, plus Dj is a west coast guy.

I thought I had heard Hawk congratulating DJ on his wife being pregnant last season. His absence may be as simple as that.

DJ is an absolutely horrible announcer, and I hope the Sox fire his ass. He hasn't improved 1 iota since he started, and I'd bet my next month's salary that if if he pissed in a cup, it would come back POSITIVE for pot. And if he's not stoned, he's the dumbest person on Earth.

I like Steve Stone and think he'd be a good addition to the Sox booth (it sure would be nice to have 2 announcers who know something about baseball), but literally anybody would be an upgrade from DJ IMO.

DJ is an absolutely horrible announcer, and I hope the Sox fire his ass.  He hasn't improved 1 iota since he started, and I'd bet my next month's salary that if if he pissed in a cup, it would come back POSITIVE for pot.  And if he's not stoned, he's the dumbest person on Earth. 

I like Steve Stone and think he'd be a good addition to the Sox booth (it sure would be nice to have 2 announcers who know something about baseball), but literally anybody would be an upgrade from DJ IMO.

Wow ... a little harsh I would say. Stoned or dumbest person on earth? C'mon.

IMO he's improved significantly from a rocky first year. When you hear him on Fox game of the week, for some reason he's even better.

I've heard some mediocre sidekick announcers in close to 40 yrs. of listening to and watching baseball, DJ is not the greatest but he's far from the worst. He knows a lot about the game and should be given more of an opportunity to impart that knowledge during the broadcasts.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Wow ... a little harsh I would say.  Stoned or dumbest person on earth?  C'mon.

IMO he's improved significantly from a rocky first year.  When you hear him on Fox game of the week, for some reason he's even better.

I've heard some mediocre sidekick announcers in close to 40 yrs. of listening to and watching baseball, DJ is not the greatest but he's far from the worst.  He knows a lot about the game and should be given more of an opportunity to impart that knowledge during the broadcasts.

Ok, well as long as we are into opinions rather than facts, I don't necessarily care for him and would rather have Stone. What if for whatever reason DJ decided to call it quits, then would Stone be appropriate? Total speculation of course. I personally enjoy stone and I do think Hawk has respect for him. The last person I think Hawk had real and total respect for was drysdale. I think our broadcasts would be much better and more professional.

Hawk and Stone could never co-exist. Ever. Never ever.

I think Hawk would be intimidated by Stone's baseball knowledge and threat of showing-up his baseball ego.

That said, if Hawk could suck up his pride, I would love a Hawk, Stoney combo in the booth. If would be a nice compliment to the roster improvements made this off-season.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Hawk and Stone could never co-exist.  Ever.  Never ever.

I think Hawk would be intimidated by Stone's baseball knowledge and threat of showing-up his baseball ego.

That said, if Hawk could suck up his pride, I would love a Hawk, Stoney combo in the booth.  If would be a nice compliment to the roster improvements made this off-season.

FWIW - Hawk and Stone are friends and get along very well. In fact, I have heard from someone that works on the Sox broadcast that Hawk has expressed a strong respect for Stone. Not sure if this would translate to TV but off camera they get along fine.

QUOTE(Pasqua's Mailman @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
FWIW - Hawk and Stone are friends and get along very well.  In fact, I have heard from someone that works on the Sox broadcast that Hawk has expressed a strong respect for Stone.  Not sure if this would translate to TV but off camera they get along fine.

IMO, big difference between off-camera friendship and on-camera partnership.

I, too, have heard they have a strong respect for eachother.

Two big baseball egos here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
I have said for years I would love to see Stone and Hawk work together.  I wish they would have mixed the booths for the Cubs/Sox series's.  The one thing that worries me is I don't know if Stone has enough of a sense of humor for Hawk to ride him the way he did DJ and Wimpy.

I really think they'd complement each other well.

s***, if Stone could work with Chimp, he'd have ZERO problem working with Hawk.

I think Hawk would enjoy Stone's knowledge in the booth.

Stone's sense of humor is underrated, and I think the reason he was so defensive last year could be becuase he was basically threatened physically on the Cubs' plane by certain players. I don't think the announcers should fly with the team anyway - that leads to too much homerism, IMO.

I WANT to see a Hawk/Stoney broadcast team in 2005 - move DJ to the radio booth with Rooney and get Farmer the f*** out of there!!!!

QUOTE(KittleWalk83 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
I don't see why this love fest for Stone.  And I certainly don't see what qualifies Stone to even be mentioned as a GM.  No stupid announcer should move up to a GM spot.  It happened once and that was a disaster.

Um...cause Stoney is not just a "stupid announcer". The guy is a brilliant play by play man and actually was just about the only reason to watch a Cub game. His baseball knowledge is endless and basically predicts scenarios before they happen. I'd take him ahead of DJ in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(KittleWalk83 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
I don't see why this love fest for Stone.  And I certainly don't see what qualifies Stone to even be mentioned as a GM.  No stupid announcer should move up to a GM spot.  It happened once and that was a disaster.

You're blinded by your Northside hatred. :headshake

Stone is a brilliant baseball mind. He knows the game through-and-through.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
There has been a lot of rumors about Steve Stone taking a postition with the White Sox the last few days. I noticed that all Sox broadcasters will be at Soxfest, except for DJ. This can only fuel speculation. Maybe DJ is on vacation, maybe his wife is having a baby, I don't know, but maybe just maybe............................................................

He's attending a family wedding.