Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Statistica is a cakewalk.  Systat on the other hand (the big ugly hairy mainframe version). . .  :crying

Usually I have no problems with it, but I couldn't understand from the manual how to set up a design with two or more repeating factors for a within subjects design. But then I figured it out and was happy. (Until I actually did the statistics, then I was baffled again.) I will say, though, that Statistica is a far better and more user friendly program than SPSS or minitab, both of which I have fought through before.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Usually I have no problems with it, but I couldn't understand from the manual how to set up a design with two or more repeating factors for a within subjects design. But then I figured it out and was happy. (Until I actually did the statistics, then I was baffled again.) I will say, though, that Statistica is a far better and more user friendly program than SPSS or minitab, both of which I have fought through before.

Chi, did I ever tell you the story of being stuck on a research paper and having a Professor at another University help me with all the stats I was trying to do by hand? :wub: As I was explaining to my Professor who helped me, we both started cracking up. He knew I was going to struggle because I hadn't taken stats, and he OK'd me to go anywhere and ask anyone for help. He actually added points for my "connections".

A great college memory.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Wow, you must really be something special.  I don't have any connections.  :crying  :D

His summary was hilarious. It went something like, In the middle of the night you email, no pmd, a Professor and asked him for help, and he helped? And these are the charts? LOL, now I've heard everything. He also looked over my attempts by hand and accused me of being a perfectionist.

Tex, wait, wait, wait, people did stats by hand?

Kidding, that's a good college story, though. :D As an undergrad I was horrible at stats, really didn't get it, and I vowed to marry a statistician so I wouldn't have to do them myself. After having a competent teacher I love it. There's just something so beautiful about designing an experiment and then watching the stats come out all perfect and glorious.

My current data, though, yikes. No effects at all where there "should" be, and a very definite trend against some pretty cogent work done on similar stimuli in Dutch. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. But data, man, that's my crack.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
You kids are too smart for me. I'm going to go hang with the stoners.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
This page's resident Geologist welcomes you.

(/Bad Pun)

I must be thick as a brick, I had to reread it twice :banghead :banghead :lolhitting

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Yeah...LOL...it took me a few times to get it.  :unsure:  :stick

We need a version of that smiley with the aggressor smiley hitting the other smiley with a big piece of lumber that says "CLUE BAT" on it. :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
We need a version of that smiley with the aggressor smiley hitting the other smiley with a big piece of lumber that says "CLUE BAT" on it.  :D

let's not make a mountain out of a molehill . . .

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
:huh:  :huh:  :D

You gotta throw those painful puns in there every once in a while. . .  or else we might start taking you for granite.    ;)

I guess it doesn't take a crytal ball to see where this thread is heading.

So, not sure why, but today my response to my friends pretty much independent of the situation has been, "Boo, you whore!" No clue where I got this from or why I'm always saying it.

On a related note, I no longer have friends.